General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:37 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Fuel Question...

I was sitting in a hotel restaurant a couple of days ago, reading the paper at breakfast, and came across the following... I'll just type it verbatim:

[I]Q: I ride a motorcycle with a typical three- to four-gallon gas tank. I fill up when the tank is still half full. The bike requires premium fuel. If the previous customer was pumping regular fuel, I assume the refueling hose is still full of that fuel. Is this a genuine concern?

A: It is a genuine concern. According to the American Petroleum Institute, the gas-pump hose typically retains about one-third of a gallon of fuel. So when you pump a couple gallons of 93-octane premium after the previous customer pumped 87-octane regular, your fuel load will be diluted (not to mention over-preiced).

I have found that high-perfromance motorcycles designed to burn premium fuel run poorly on regular. They generally do not have complex engine-control systems that allow cars to run on fuels of varying octane ratings.

I don't think diluting your premium fuel with a little regular will harm your motorcycle, especially if you always select the highest octane rating available. But next time you fill up, get in line behind the driver with the highest-performance car.[/I]

I must admit that potential problem has never crossed my mind... Anybody here ever think of that before? Gonna do anything about it?

(BTW -- in case anyone is interested, it was in the 12/17th Wall Street Journal, in the "CARS" feature, page D4.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:47 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't really think it's a problem, besides who can trust the wsj, they couldn't forcast our recent crash? Throw a little seafoam or all in one in on occassion and you'll be ok. Now, reformulated fuels are a different matter. They suck and can booger up your fuel system. Whoever thought up ethanol should be shot.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This topic has been brought up before and always proven to be not an issue several different ways.

Unless your running higher than stock compression, you bike will run just fine on a lower grade of gasoline with no harm.

Ethanol? We've had it in my part of the country for probably 2 decades. Never had any problems and some of my vehicles I have had going on 20 years. I have never put Seafoam or any other magic in a can in any of them. FI engines are the norm. Gasoline has all the detergent you need in it.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=PPBART;4256977] (cut some)
I must admit that potential problem has never crossed my mind... Anybody here ever think of that before? Gonna do anything about it?
QUOTE]
Yes...I've always looked for stations with independent hoses for each grade. That way you don't have to be concerned. They are sometimes hard to find.

Edit: btw, if your manual recommends premium, you should use it. Knock sensor equipped machines will retard the spark to accommodate for lower grade fuel, but most want the power
that full advance provides. jmo

Last edited by Snarly; 12-19-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Alias
Road Master

I have an '06 Street Bob, I started using regular gasoline in it at about 1000 miles. I get better performance and gas milage with regular than I did with high test. I did have a stage 1 done and V&H short shots, that's it.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the most you get is about 1/10th of a gallon in the hose - probably not that big of an issue.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two words....

AV GAS

Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Default Fuel Lines

I've heard it can be as much as a gallon in the line before you get fresh fuel. While the scoot may run OK on lower octane I'd certainly like to get what I'm paying for. So the stations with three line pumps are still out there you just have to do a little searching to find them.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never thought about it but you're correct. There are gas stations that have a 3 nozzles / pump (one for each octane).

Old 12-19-2008, 06:05 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run regular gas in every sport bike I've ever owned without detonation issues. As we all know, they are a lot higher strung than your typical Harley engine. I would never waste my money on premium gas.

Quick Reply: Fuel Question...