General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, I'm man enough to admit it, I'm nervous to..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006 | 12:00 PM
hd_sob
Road Master
Default RE: OK, I'm man enough to admit it, I'm nervous to..

ORIGINAL: jfanton
I can't stress this enough...Bike is up in 10 seconds or less, front or rear, rock soild.
How do ya get it DOWN without that handle jumping up and whackin' ya in the groin, or elsewhere?

Old 04-11-2006 | 12:36 PM
06DEUCE
Road Captain

the quick lift(cyclelift) thing is ok for cleaning your wheels, but it's nice to get the whole bike up to clean @ eye level sitting on a shop seat. plus you don't have to reposition it to lift the front then rear. i thought the price was kinda crazy for some bent 14 ga steel!

Old 04-11-2006 | 12:59 PM
Gadget
Tourer

If you're using a regular motorcycle lift, you don't need two people, nor do you need to stand the bike up. Leave the bike on the kickstand, position the jack (as others have mentioned) and lift the bike. It will right itself on the lift as you lift the bike. If you have a big bike, you don't need to strap it down. I also put in the mechanical stops to keep it from dropping if the jack fails.

Exception to the above opinion on standing the bike up first - if your bike is lowered, the jack may not fit under the bike if its on the kickstand.

Something I haven't seen yet posted by anyone - make sure your kickstand is down fully before lowering the bike down to the ground. If the kickstand isn't fully down, you might end up dropping your bike...

Old 04-11-2006 | 01:06 PM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer

I can relate, the first time i had my bike up on the stand, i was nervous as hell, you have visions of the whole thing tipping over and the carnage, the crying, the depression...

After a few time you become more confident. Trust It It works well. I am more worried about that STUPID jiffy stand, manb what a poor design, could they not have the stand go past 90 degrees and therefore be more secure, poor poor design.

Old 04-11-2006 | 01:32 PM
UncleMike
Road Master

I have been using the craftsman lift for about 3 years and the only problem I have is, even when the bike is standing straight up it doesn't fit under. I run the bike up on a couple pieces of 1x6's and it slides right under. Make sure you have a piece for under the kick stand too or the bike leans too much to the left. I don't use straps unless I'm going to be doing some heavy wrenching like removing a wheel etc etc. I leave it up on the jack during the coldest months in the lock position to keep the weight off the tires. Also check the hardware( nuts and bolts) periodically to make sure nothing gets loose.
You can make one of those cycle lifts out of a couple 2x6's or 2x8's and a bar. Used to be directions on "how to build a lift for under $20.00" somewhere on this site or another.

Old 04-11-2006 | 01:34 PM
06DEUCE
Road Captain

Preach on brother.. that jiffy stand scares the hell out of me as well. i have to kick it few times just to be sure it is out all the way..

Old 04-11-2006 | 05:12 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RetroHarley

actually use the damn Craftsman Jack I just bought at Sears.

I brought it home after getting several tips on how to use it at the store.

Pulled it out of the box and tried it again, worked fine.

Put my slowblower on it and practiced, No problem.

But I can't bring myself to jack up my 670lb, $26,000 thing of beauty.

Am I just being a damn wimp? And suggestions?

I know I'll finally just do it, but damn this is hard!
Just do it Man! I've had mine up more than a couple of times so far (different jack). Just strap her down and lift away!

Old 04-11-2006 | 07:39 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: hd_sob

ORIGINAL: jfanton
I can't stress this enough...Bike is up in 10 seconds or less, front or rear, rock soild.
How do ya get it DOWN without that handle jumping up and whackin' ya in the groin, or elsewhere?
It's this new fangled thing called...leverage.