General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, I'm man enough to admit it, I'm nervous to..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006 | 04:11 AM
DanDeuce
Road Captain
Default RE: OK, I'm man enough to admit it, I'm nervous to..

A little hint , actually two , once raised somewhat use the LOCK feature of the jack and release some pressure allowing the jack to go into a locked position . Would be a shame to come out and find your bike on the ground because the hydralics bled down . Also might want to watch the positioning of the pads , your shocks hang down lower than the frame , not sure but it seems like you could dent the shocks ! Position them forward of the shocks .

I have a cheapie ( $40-$50) lift from Checker Auto , appears to as good of quality as any I've seen in the under $200 range , I've purposely rocked the bike back and forth and sideways once it is raised . The straps arne nice but not really needed , the only way my bike would come down is if the wife plowed into it with the car .

Dan

Old 04-11-2006 | 07:43 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain

the best way i found to use it was while i was on the bike with it standing straight slide it under and pump it up with your foot. once you have the bike up a little get off the bike and look under to make sure your have it on the frame and secure. then finish jacking to desired height...

Old 04-11-2006 | 09:16 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior

Get some help for your first lift. Stand the bike up and slide the jack under the frame. Have your buddy steady the bike as you jack it up. If only one wheel comes up, you will want to stop, and reposition the jack. You will soon figure out the "sweet spot" and make a mental note of it. As you jack it up, and both wheels are just off the ground, check it for stability. It will be pretty solid. Continue to jack it up and lock the jack to take the pressure off the hydraulics, so it can't bleed down. Tie down if you must, but I don't for simple cleaning, etc.

It's really no big deal once you are used to it.

Old 04-11-2006 | 09:31 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior

I love it! This is what I have been looking for. No fuss, no bother. All metal and leverage operated only. No hydraulics ,and no worry about my bagger wobbling while up . Good post jfanton.

Old 04-11-2006 | 10:04 AM
daboys53119
Road Captain

I was nervous the first few times also, so you are not alone.

Old 04-11-2006 | 10:20 AM
RetroHarley
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JBBOOKS

Get some help for your first lift. Stand the bike up and slide the jack under the frame. Have your buddy steady the bike as you jack it up. If only one wheel comes up, you will want to stop, and reposition the jack. You will soon figure out the "sweet spot" and make a mental note of it. As you jack it up, and both wheels are just off the ground, check it for stability. It will be pretty solid. Continue to jack it up and lock the jack to take the pressure off the hydraulics, so it can't bleed down. Tie down if you must, but I don't for simple cleaning, etc.

It's really no big deal once you are used to it.
Thanks all, great comments by everyone!

BBOOKS: great advice, it seems to me that if I had someone to help the first lift it would be easier but still wasn't sure, didn't have that one key indicator in my head.

Both wheels off the ground at the same time, that was it.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2006 | 10:30 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

I use one similar to the craftsman, mine is called a Crewline, all aluminium, hydralic. With the baggers, I use a small piece of 1x6 to pull the front tire onto. Once I have the front tire on the board, I put the Jiffy Stand down, get off the bike and roll the jack under the right side of the bike as far as it will go. The front of the jack will stop when it hits the left side of the frame. As I'm facing the bike with the jack under it, I can see the "U" channel cross member of the frame under the tranny. Position the the left side of the jack (part nearest the rear tire) under the front part of the cross member (nearest the front tire). I then get back on the bike, set it up straight, and pull the jack under the bike. I then give the handle of the jack a few pumps, just enough to hold the bike up straight. Tires still touching the ground. Get off the bike, check position of the jack deck under the frame. Pump it up all the way, lock the safety, then bleed off the pressure from the pump. Rock solid. This entire procedure takes about 5 minutes.
To get it down, just reverse the procedure. I don't use straps at all. I wash, wax, work on the bike with no worry of it falling at all.
This past Saturday, I replaced my exhaust, intake and installed a V&H fuelpak while on the jack. As anyone knows that has changed mufflers, there is considerable pulling, tugging, and wiggling involved. The jack was rock solid.
After you do it a few times, you'll relax and feel much more comfortable. Go at it with confidence[sm=smiley20.gif]

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-11-2006 | 11:46 AM
MOking
Tourer

Hey Retro!!!!

What are you doing posting a picture of my mistress?!

Nice pic by the way.

Old 04-11-2006 | 11:50 AM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Original Junior

ORIGINAL: jfanton

I've posted this in the touring forum several times. I had been using this particular device (see pic) on my FLSTF since '97 and love it. You can completely disassemble the front or rear end and it is rock solid. Lifts bike safely in about 10 seconds. I have never needed to have both wheels off the ground at the same time, but to each his own. Anyway, my girlfriend bought me the red Craftsman jack for my '06 FLTRI.
Tried it once (with her) and we agreed, it sucks. Back it went.
Bought another one of these for the bagger. http://www.cyclelifts.com/

[IMG]local://upfiles/4788/533DC981785A4CCD9B890E2F1E23CE93.jpg[/IMG]
Will this work on the Dynas? I know you need to get the special blocks for the Sears lift to work right on the Dyna models.
Yes. It will work on Dyna's. Been using one on my slammed softail since '98. Just go to the website.
I can't stress this enough...Bike is up in 10 seconds or less, front or rear, rock soild.
All the work I've done to my '97 softail was done utilizing this lift...

[IMG]local://upfiles/4788/8E5511F0292742F3827CAC27E7A6B70A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-11-2006 | 12:00 PM
Bear64
Banned

My bike didn't cost as much as yours, but never the less I was also nervus about picking up Travler the first time, but once i did it, and it didn't fall, sat there like a good boy, I gained confindence in it..never did use the straps, but do what makes you feel comfy with the whole thing. What I really want is a regular lift table, in fact as soon as I figer out how to get it home and off the truck myself I will probably have one of them..as my wife says, boys and thier toys, will it never end. [sm=happybounce.gif]

Quick Reply: OK, I'm man enough to admit it, I'm nervous to..