General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 1 synthetic oil brand quieter than another???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Is 1 synthetic oil brand quieter than another???

I recently posted a thread saying that at my 1000 mile service I switched to Mobil1 V-Twin synthetic oil, and that it made the valve train noticably more noisy. Several people indicated that their valve train is also noisy, and that it's nothing to worry about. And furthermore, that synthetic drops oil temps, which is definately a good thing!

But I got to wondering if one synthetic oil quiets down the valve train more than others. I have a HUGE cycle shop (Chaparral) near my work, and they have more oils than I've ever seen (although they don't have Redline or Amsoil). They have:

Castrol (Act>Evo, GPS, V-Twin syn blend)
Motorex (Formula 4T, Legend 4T, Power Synt 4T, Top Speed 4T)
Bel-Ray (EXL, EXP, EXS)
Motul (100, 3000, 5100, 300V, Twin-Syn)
Repsol
Spectro (Premium Petro, Golden American, Syn Blend, Platinum)
Maxima

Some of these I'm not sure if they're dino or synthetic (or blend). Anyway, does anyone have experience with any of these various oils, especially as it relates to valve train noise? I'm going to stay with synthetic (or a very HIGH quality blend) because I want the temperature reduction and protection. But if there's a good synthetic that protects (like Mobil1), but is quieter, then I'd definately be interested in that.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like "Dino" brand...

I quit using synthetic a few years ago. If your oil change intervals are high then you may want to stick with synthetic. I change the oil in our bikes every 3000 - 3500 miles.

My opinion is 5000 miles between changes is just to many mile on a 3.5 - 4 quart system...

I really don't think any synthetic is quieter than the other..

Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never really paid any attention, til last week. Walked into the parts store for a batt. The Valvoline was just sitting there, quiet as could be. The Castrol was chuckling a bit. Turns out the Mobil 1 was yakkin' up a storm and tellin' dirty jokes, and that's what the Castrol was chucklin' at. So, guess by that un-scientific observation, Valvoline would be the 'quietest'.

I run Amsoil 50w, cause I get it for FREE. The same thing that makes syn so good, is what also makes it so noisy. The size of the molecules. Look 'round on Google, you'll be able to find a comparison microscopic pic of them, side by side.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
I never really paid any attention, til last week. Walked into the parts store for a batt. The Valvoline was just sitting there, quiet as could be. The Castrol was chuckling a bit. Turns out the Mobil 1 was yakkin' up a storm and tellin' dirty jokes, and that's what the Castrol was chucklin' at. So, guess by that un-scientific observation, Valvoline would be the 'quietest'.

I run Amsoil 50w, cause I get it for FREE. The same thing that makes syn so good, is what also makes it so noisy. The size of the molecules. Look 'round on Google, you'll be able to find a comparison microscopic pic of them, side by side.

LoL... Good one! I guess I should have titled this thread "Does 1 synthetic oil brand make your motor quieter, versus another brand?"

Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bamorris2
LoL... Good one! I guess I should have titled this thread "Does 1 synthetic oil brand make your motor quieter, versus another brand?"
Nah, it's just colder than a witch's t*t in a brass bra here, and 'killing' time. No harm intended. Jus' clownin' 'round.
IF ya go tryin' to post the 'azzclown proof' post, ya'll gonna go nutz. Jus' post and take a grain of salt.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:29 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bamorris2

But I got to wondering if one synthetic oil quiets down the valve train more than others.
I think when you slosh the new "Super Duper Dino Original Syn" around in the bottle that it makes less noise than all the other brands combined.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Try a Honda They're very quiet.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:46 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Try a Honda They're very quiet.

Bite me!

I want to hear the roar of the big twins, not the clack of the sewing machine.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope. Not if they are the same weight.
Tom