General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil temp vs pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 AM
corcon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil temp vs pressure?

I'm going on a road trip to key west in jan and hear there is crazy traffic.I run synthetic oil in my bike but would like a gauge to keep track of what's going on.I like the look of the oil pressure gauge on the rocker box but was wondering what people thought of pressure vs temp gauge?In my understanding the pressure will drop as the temp goes up so both ways should tell me what I need to know. Right??

Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would get an oil pressure guage because it will tell you if you have a lubrication issue. Oil viscosity will thin out as temperature increases so there will be some nominal drop in oil pressure. But a TC engine uses a high volume low pressure system. While oil temp is important the oil pressure guage will alert you to a drop in oil pressure that would indicate a problem of sorts.

SYn oil is good usually to 300*F + so watching it get hot is information after the fact. Kinda like "gee my oil is really hot" versus "Holy $hit I don't have any oil pressure"

Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Ultraman1
Advanced
Default oil temp vs pressure

Ditto above.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM
corcon
Advanced

On a stock 88" twin cam what is the max pressure I would expect to see at say 5500 rpm?My manual says 35-38 psi at opperating temp and 2000 rpm.Thanks

Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto on what was said above, temp will only tell you if its hot or not. Its not going to tell you if you have pressure so you wouldn't know that your oil pump went out until you looked down and saw your temp had gone thru the roof and maybe too late..

Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
madmikee
Tourer

So having both is best.

I do..........................

Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Never had a temp gauge, BUT ALL my scoots get a pressure gauge. It's located at the rear and top of the 'kidney' cover, pointed right at me face when I'm riding.

This one is a bit more difficult to see, but in the same location.

You only need to have a chunk of junk get caught in the oil pump once, and shear the key off, to learn to put on a gauge, ALL THE TIME.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 PM
REVHAPPY
Tourer

pressure gauge is best, but if you listen the bike will tell you if it has pressure or if over heating(knocking sounds if you lose oil pressure and pinging or valve noise is a good sign its running to hot)please keep in mind if you hear knocking it maybe to late. most people with gauges don't think the gauge is correct and ride til the noise start any way. just remember if you get a gauge and a low pressure reading stop and turn it off asap if it shows no pressure. also stay away from the harley unit(i purchased one)cheep plastic hose to run oil up into gauge(i think it will melt) i have the harley unit, looking to get the steel braded arlen ness hose or some other brand hose.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil guages

I would go with the pressure guage. Since you are running syn oil. I run syn oil here in las vegas and never had a problem and it can get mighty hot here in the summer sitting in traffic.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by REVHAPPY
pressure gauge is best, but if you listen the bike will tell you if it has pressure or if over heating(knocking sounds if you lose oil pressure and pinging or valve noise is a good sign its running to hot)please keep in mind if you hear knocking it maybe to late. most people with gauges don't think the gauge is correct and ride til the noise start any way. just remember if you get a gauge and a low pressure reading stop and turn it off asap if it shows no pressure. also stay away from the harley unit(i purchased one)cheep plastic hose to run oil up into gauge(i think it will melt) i have the harley unit, looking to get the steel braded arlen ness hose or some other brand hose.
Not used to riding 'old' ones, are ya. A pan or shovel will 'normally' show "0" at idle or so. Jus' the nature of the 'beasts'.
AND that's at the oil pump. If ya got 20 at speed, JUST

Quick Reply: oil temp vs pressure?