General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone gone from a bagger back to a...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008 | 05:54 PM
billybud
Advanced
Default Yeah..have gone back and forth

Loved my '96 Road King but wanted something faster..traded her in for 2000 Dyna Wide Glide. I hopped up the motor and this bike would pull nice wheelies and was a blast to ride. Began riding more two up with my wife so I traded for a 2004 Fatboy..nice compromise. We toured with it yet it was also a nice chromed out bike night bike (chrome 18 inch wheels, everything on the bike chromed, custom paint. But...we started doing more 500 mile days..traded on a 2008 Street Glide..I'll probably stay with a bagger for the next ten years since we are seeing more of the country.

Old 12-14-2008 | 07:28 PM
Tony P
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I was thinking how much actual touring I would actually do - Go back home to Florida? That's only 380 miles. Go to Sturgis? I wouldn't do that in a car! lol

The mountains are only about 250 miles away... I've done it twice in the past 16 months and will go again in the spring. My Dyna works better there than most baggers in the curves. I kept my mid-controls precisely for the mountains. I added highway pegs for the freeway miles.

Last edited by Tony P; 12-15-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2008 | 07:36 PM
Ultraman1
Advanced
Default Has anyonr gone from a bagger back to a...

I went from an 02 Goldwing to a Dyna. Thought I would be riding primarily one up. However my better half wanted to passenger again so we recently bought an Ultra. Best bike I have ever owned.

Old 12-14-2008 | 07:44 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

I truely enjoy my king, have Ultra coming in a few weeks. I am sure I will be riding the wife's Heritage more around town and such, and then again maybe not. She might not let me. LOL

Old 12-14-2008 | 09:46 PM
eleutheros
Road Master

I'll definitely be going back just as soon as the wife stops riding. I truly miss the lighter weight, leaning in corners, forward controls, mini apes, and cool look. It won't be a wobbly softtail though. I like to hear the pipes and not music; I've never used any of that stuff, no matter how long the trip. Just me.

Old 12-15-2008 | 09:39 AM
sporty06
Road Captain

I recently went from a Lowrider to a Roadglide. At first I missed the feel of the lowrider and wondered if I had made a mistake. Then I changed the bars on the roadglide, Khrome Werks Sweeper +2, and made it feel much better. Made turning the bars feel quicker and closer to the lowrider. Then added 12" shocks this weekend and wow I don't think I'll be missing the lowrider as much any more. With the new bars and shocks the Roadglide handles extremely well just riding around town.

I made a 1000 mile three day trip on the Lowrider just before getting the Roadglide. Then a 1000 mile three day trip a couple of weeks after getting the Roadglide. I could do either ride on either bike again but I was less fatigued on Roadglide than on the Lowrider.

The perfect situation for me would have been to keep the Lowrider and buy the Roadglide. However, I was not able to do that and I was going to have to drop a lot of money in the Lowrider which was already nine years old. So I traded it on the Roadglide.

sporty06

Old 12-15-2008 | 10:19 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

Tony, I am 52 also. To answer your original question, HELL NO ain't going back. Pop the windsield off, take the backrest off, put the solo saddle on and my RK Custom is transformed into a mean looking cruiser. Reverse the procedure and we're ready for that 600-800 miles a day vacation.

I have ridden my wife's Deluxe and a friends Dyna and I can't wait to get off their's and get back on my RK.

The "Glides" or the Ultra's just don't do it for me. I ain't old yet.....

Old 12-15-2008 | 10:44 AM
bubbabear
Road Master

I have a 2000 FXST I bought new, and a 2005 Ultra I bought new, the only thing I don't like about the Ultra is not being able to take the windshield off when I get where I'm going. If I had to sell one of them it would probably be the Softail. Oh yeah, I'm only 43!

Old 12-15-2008 | 11:44 AM
Tony P
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
Tony, I am 52 also. To answer your original question, HELL NO ain't going back. Pop the windsield off, take the backrest off, put the solo saddle on and my RK Custom is transformed into a mean looking cruiser. Reverse the procedure and we're ready for that 600-800 miles a day vacation.

I have ridden my wife's Deluxe and a friends Dyna and I can't wait to get off their's and get back on my RK.

The "Glides" or the Ultra's just don't do it for me. I ain't old yet.....
Of all the baggers, the RK would be my first choice.

Old 12-15-2008 | 11:47 AM
Pablo22
Road Warrior

Started on a Sporty, went to an Electra Glide - now on a Dyna. Main reason is Everyone and their ol lady was gettin a bagger - mainly Street Glide. The Fat Bob was a perfect fit. I have never looked back!

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone from a bagger back to a...