General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone gone from a bagger back to a...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008 | 11:16 AM
Lady_Rider
6th Gear

Went from a Dyna, to a FatBoy, to a Street Glide. Would NEVER go back!

Old 12-14-2008 | 11:24 AM
jason628
Road Warrior

Greetings,

A friend of mine just got rid of his '02 Road King for a '09 Superglide Custom. Because of his wife's Crohn's disease, she couldn't ride along anymore so he felt he really didn't need that much of a bike anymore. I'm surprised he doesn't miss the baggers (he's had 3 of them).

Old 12-14-2008 | 11:25 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
Ok, that's what it feels like to you. I get what your saying there now..but now you got me with "just more like something to stay in town with"...lol. I ride my "lil" dyna all up and down the east coast and have 300-500 mile weekend rides almost every weekend. I guess it's a comfort thing you're talking about..but still I'm confused...I'd think that without the bags and the fairings and lowers and all the other stuff.. taken off your bike..it would be about the same as mine..help me understand better Mike, please..
Probably goes back to my boy scout days "be prepared" was the motto , with that , I like to at least carry rain suits and a light/medium jacket or 2 (for when u have a babe that may be getting chilled as well as you , once the sun goes down) and spare shoes & socks.I HATE wet feet!!!

Old 12-14-2008 | 12:02 PM
hogwash
Road Captain

I started on an SB Softtail. 10yrs later I bought a HX bagger and two yrs after that I bought a XLn. I still have all three and really enjoy the variety from hangers to drag bars and finally long haul comfort. I have never had plans for a Dyna though...well, maybe someday. lol.

Old 12-14-2008 | 12:39 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LarryB
My bikes so ugly, you all could call it a double bagger.,
Funny!

Old 12-14-2008 | 01:13 PM
DaveC671
Advanced

I am considering doing this right now. I just sold the street glide and am looking at getting a street bob or fat bob. I was at the dealership this weekend and can't decide between the street bob or fat bob and no both isn't an option.

Wife rarely rides with us and I really miss a smaller bike. I think it just depends on the person and what they want/need in a bike.

Old 12-14-2008 | 02:17 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Have tried a couple of RK's; prefer the ride and handling of my FXDXT...now that the wife has her own FXDL; no need to try those biggun's anymore; we do a couple of weeks on the road no problem...but our campsites are motels...I've had a couple of GL1000's; don't miss either of them.....

Old 12-14-2008 | 02:33 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior

I don't ride two-up these days (took off the pass. boards recently), and I like the lighter, quicker Dyna, so I just can't see a bagger for me. I can pack up my bike to carry about as much as a touring bike, and it's pretty darned comfy with the bags, windshield, and bigger seat on there (along with the boards and highway pegs). OTOH I could never make a bagger lose a couple hundred pounds and have the raw feel of tearing around on the naked FXD. I don't expect that to change as long as I have only one bike, but I could find room for a Roadglide if I ever have the time/money to have multiple bikes and take extended (longer than a week) trips.

As for going from a bagger, the only guy I can think of is a long time Goldwing guy I know that now rides a Sportster , which I found surprising. But he loves that Sporty.

Last edited by Dawg Rider; 12-14-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2008 | 03:50 PM
hdbe
Road Master

I'm waiting for the "buy a ultra classic and receive a free softtail " deal from harley....lolololo

I'm playing the same delima..i have a deluxe and want to add a ultra to the stable...to date..i've just rented a ultra when i needed one...

Old 12-14-2008 | 04:19 PM
Juno
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony P
Not sure... In this economy, prudence is key. My FDX is paid for and I finally found what was causing the annoying buzz in the bars/pegs/seat. I may add some detacheable bags and ride it a few more years...
That's definately safe!

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone from a bagger back to a...