General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone gone from a bagger back to a...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008 | 04:21 PM
powaypete
Road Master

If my wife wanted to go distance, I would have a bagger. She's more into just riding the local mountains and such. So the Heritage is great. When I go on the long trips, I've got saddlebags, windshield, and a place to put the sleeping bag behind me. Only thing I would add would be better tunes than an I-Pod (ear plugs suck with a half helmet).

Old 12-13-2008 | 04:26 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I'd love to have another Lowrider (or a Sporty) as a second bike, but I would never go back having just a Dyna (or Softtail) as my primary ride.

Most likely when I get in a better spot, a Ducati or Buell will be my 2nd ride. I've always loved the look of Duc's!

Old 12-13-2008 | 05:33 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by fishcop
Well I traded my 07 ultra for a 09 Heritage. I just could not get comfortable and confident on the Ultra. Not sure why, I have ridden bikes all my life and I traded a RK for the Ultra. So it wasn't like I wasn't use to the touring bikes. Since having the Heritage, I'm riding more and feel right at home on it. So for me it was a good switch.
Fish, do you find a big difference between the Heritage and the Road King that you previously owned? They seem comparable in size and weight. Thanks

Old 12-13-2008 | 05:36 PM
Tony P
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I went by the dealer after I started this thread. Sat on just about everything. I still like the RK standard. The Heritage is nice (rented one in Daytona and really liked it), but I can't get past all those studs and conchos. Sat on the Crossbones and the Street Bob - I just like the look and feel of those two. I know that 'Bones is nice with that counter balanced motor.

At 52, I feel I'm not ready to give up the essence of motorcycling. Maybe I'm an old biker wannabe, but damn, at what point does it become convertable on two wheels?

Old 12-13-2008 | 05:51 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

A guy that I know traded in his classic for a lowrider and was way happy, or should I say happier. I guess there are the bagger guys and then there's not bagger guys, no matter how bad they want to convince themselves how much they love their bagger.

For around here where we live in the Black Hills, 200 mile trips are common place. A dyna or softail, will hang right in there.
A bagger would be nice, but takin' a trip down a straight road is just kinda boring sounding to me. Love my softail...

Old 12-13-2008 | 06:02 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rydermike
I'd never want to go back to a little bike , but wouldn't mind getting a softail to jet around on days when I don't need to carry anything , more a power to wieght issue than comfort .Would have to be in addition to the Ultra.
I know your not saying a Dyna is a little bike...at least I hope not. It's far from that.

Old 12-13-2008 | 06:22 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd never go back to a soft tail, tho I would go grab a dyna or sportster, with no luggage cept maybe a toolbox or two. A dyna all tricked out would be a sweet short distance ride.

yeah like forward controls and a nice rake....amongst other things... hehe

Old 12-13-2008 | 06:35 PM
justbill
Intermediate

I've switched back and forth several times. Went from a FXST to a bagger to a FatBoy to a bagger and now to a FatBob. Why, because I get tired of riding the same bikes after several years and lately the baggers been getting heavier and heavier it seems.

Old 12-13-2008 | 06:41 PM
intempestivus
Cruiser
Thumbs up I went back...

It appears I'm in the minority here but I went back to a dyna WG after having a Road King for a few years. I would love to have both but like most, I can't afford it. I just love the forward controls and the way a dyna sticks in a corner. It's no sportbike but compared to a bagger it feels like one to me. Until I can afford both I think I'll stick with the dyna.

Old 12-13-2008 | 06:41 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

I went from a Low Rider to an Ultra and then to a Softail Custom. After twelve great years with the softail, I broke down and got a Road King Custom. They're all good but I never felt like I wanted to with the Ultra. It just felt too civilized at the time.

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone from a bagger back to a...