General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone gone from a bagger back to a...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009 | 12:58 AM
4JAYS
Cruiser

I don't particularly like highway riding over back roads, so in that case the softail suits me fine. That being said I would maybe be wanting a heritage springer or RK classic in the not too distant future if I could sock away enough from the OL without pissing her off..
However, the springer I have now would be kept, losing it is not part of the bargain as I have become very partial to her.

Old 04-15-2009 | 05:39 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Heck ya,back when Harley introduced the SuperGlide,I bought 3 new ones hoping for more performance.ended up building my own and now back to baggers.It's the best of both worlds.When the urge to get stupid hits off come the bags and shield.

Old 04-15-2009 | 07:44 AM
hagger
Banned

I looked at a lot of bikes before deciding on the Softail. For me it's the only one that provides the comfort to ride all day. Don't care for all the studs on the Heritage but you have to take the good with the bad. I guess I'm just goin' with it.
Most of my riding is in the mountains and this bike does just fine.

Old 04-15-2009 | 08:01 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I've looked long and hard at a Road Glide. As a distance bike, they just can't be beat. But man I love my 'Train. I just can't see giving up the ride, the handling, and the look. I've got bags for it, and I can certainly get a Windvest for it if I have to.

Can't afford both right now, so I guess I'll have to look for a used RG in a few years.

Old 04-15-2009 | 08:51 AM
Danowert
Road Captain

Almost every day. But its between the Dresser & a Hardtail. Talk about different

Old 04-15-2009 | 09:04 AM
David The Hutt
Tourer

I have a heritage and have never been sure what to call it... a dressed up cruiser or back to basics bagger.

the touring line is supposedly a great comfortable ride, but i just couldnt get past the way i sat on a RK and the engine bouncing merrily on its rubber mounts at a light.

the softails are great but to be honest, i am not sure they are truly built for "road trip". dont get me wrong they are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY capable of it, but maybe we have gotten soft and grown to accoustomed to the creature comforts.

i dont know. touring line or not. its always been a tough call. .

i will likely stick to the heritage. i like the conchos and silver buttons. makes me think of "old cowboy" style

you have to go with what fits you. all of the harleys are capable of 5 mile and 5000 mile trips. just have to pick the one thats your basic personality and customize it your way to make it "YOUR RIDE"

next upgrade for me? a set of those truck ***** to mount on the back fender

Old 04-15-2009 | 09:53 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

How about having a bagger and a rigid? I do my best to not be limited to just one bike. IMO the bagger is for the two of us and the customs, rigids or like are for me when I ride alone. I'm starting to engineer my next build and it's gonna be a rigid, pan, kick, jockey shift with no front fender and very little rear fender so I better keep the bagger...then again Mama rode the last strut bike plenty but it had a 300 rear so there was plenty of fender room...so now that I rambled, I guess it's OK to go from whatever to whatever as it's your money and you do what you want with it...baggers are in right now but who knows whats gonna be in 3 years from now...

Old 04-15-2009 | 10:17 AM
softail04
Road Master

if I wanted a goldwing I would buy the original from honda we have had bikes with bags and trunks wrap around plastic stuff and have out grown that stuff now ride a softail std and love it.. yes the wife rides with me. 2/3/ hundred mile days are nothing and hae done 600 days.

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone gone from a bagger back to a...-vvccxx.jpg  
Old 04-15-2009 | 03:49 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by softail04
if I wanted a goldwing I would buy the original from honda we have had bikes with bags and trunks wrap around plastic stuff and have out grown that stuff now ride a softail std and love it.. yes the wife rides with me. 2/3/ hundred mile days are nothing and hae done 600 days.

Nothing to do with the weight of a Goldwing or Ultra or Road Glide over your Softail?????????

Last edited by ButtMan1000; 04-15-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:53 PM
ehretja
Cruiser

I went Sporty -> Softail Standard -> E-Glide Classic -> Street Bob.

I could have saved a ton of money and kept the Softail which had a lot of accessories. The E-Glide was nice when my wife rode with me but most of my riding became short distance stuff after she stopped riding. I'm not a big guy so lugging the E-Glide around town wasn't thrilling. I down sized to the Street Bob (and cut my payment in half!) and have so far been very happy with it. The only time i miss the bagger is when it's cold outside and i wish i was still back behind that big old fairing!

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone from a bagger back to a...