General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Equating power with noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 11:59 AM
FLHXXHLF
|
Tourer
Default Equating power with noise.

I've rode motorcycles all my life. I never thought about exhaust modification until I owned a Harley. I was told by the dealership I would have to make modifications to the factory exhaust in order to get power. To me that's equating noise to power. I personally don't need nor like loud pipes. I never have. I do enjoy power and the nice melatone rumble of the harley. I don't need to wake the dead to enjoy my bike. So why do we have to sacrifice a nice quite exhaust to have power ? Are you telling me I cant modify my engine without installing aftermarket pipes ? Why is this ? And are there Harley owners here that have had mods done and left the factory exhaust.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Simple....an internal combustion engine is really an air pump...more air & fuel in = more HP and more exhaust flow out. To get more more exhaust flow you need less restriction. Less restriction = more noise. You can get quiet baffles on some of the better pipe systems like V&H but thay are more restrictive.

It is a trade off. But you can stage 1 a HD and still have quiet baffles and a nice ride with adequate power that is better than stock. But best to dyno tune it to get it optimal.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:06 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Check out the Screamin' Eagle slip-ons. They aren't really loud, but sound real nice and give a little more performance at the same time. There are some youtube videos where you can get an idea of how they sound.

Different exhaust systems are designed for different purposes. I do want to wake the dead and couldn't care less about high performance. Everyone is different and there is something out there to accomadate all of us.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:14 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

There is no correlation in the street environment. It is just here are some real insecure jerks that need to make all of the noise possible.

I went with 50 state SE Slip Ons That are just right.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:18 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Noise is horsepower when tuned right to make torque. Quiet is restriction. It is called a trade off.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:18 PM
Juno
Banned

You never said whether you're happy or not with the power you already have with your bike? If you're happy leave it alone.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:25 PM
Grind
Road Master

Agreed on the 50 state SE slip-ons. Wife got some on her 1200 Sporty, and they really aren't much louder, but deeper toned. They also gave a little boost to power.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:44 PM
meepers
Tourer

hmm.. my Screamin Eagles are Damn loud. But they sound SOOO sweet. Everyone knows the sound my bike makes, cuz its different then every other one I have hear. I know its a combo of all the parts, and I am worried about going to the true dual headers cuz I dont want the sound to change. But if it does, time for the Bub7's. BTW, I have the turn downs.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:58 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

My bike takes me down the road just fine as it is. I can hear the radio just fine. No need here for anything but stock. Besides with seeing all the threads about guys getting pulled over for loud eshaust...why change from stock??

Old 12-11-2008 | 01:09 PM
Juno
Banned

My D&D Fat Cat is just puuurrrrrrrrfect. Nice and low until I jump on it. Some people equate it to a sudden explosion.

Quick Reply: Equating power with noise.