General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Equating power with noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008 | 01:46 AM
Juno
Banned

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Well, this is the second go round on this same subject, same prob, same scoot. Hmmmm????
Try it one more time.
Recam the engine with the major mods you have. Cause you do have some major mods, according to the first go 'round. That will get you into the power band you wanted in the first thread, AND in the first place.

Install a Super Trapp and tune it to your scoot.
May not get back to stock sound, but you'll get the performance you want and tone it down a bit. NOT the most beautiful exhaust system, but very effective and tunable.

And next time, take the time to post here, get some opinions and info BEFORE you turn the dealer loose with your checkbook and scoot.
If it doesn't come acrossed as me being very sympathetic, I'm not. IMFUO, you walked in and wanted a "fast" scoot or a "big" motor, and the dealer gave ya just that.
Do your homework FIRST, then take the test.
Before ya lauch at me, my 40+ yr old panhead will run longside EVOs and Twinkies as long as my **** will take it. That's cause I did my homework, a LONG time ago.
Had you, the dealer would have had a better chance of 'hitting' the area on the chart, you wanted your scoot to reside in. Not what you ended up with.
I don't know you from Adam, BUT I do know this much, you got a scoot you don't like, and there are dozens of peeps on here, who could have, would have steered you away from 'some' of the choices you made (or the dealer made for you)
Off my soapbox, now. Carry on.
Ya, what HE said!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2008 | 04:31 AM
FLHXXHLF
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
If you are like most HD riders, who like to lug their engines, shifting at a reasonable point, and are not revving them to max RPM's, the stock equipment will do just fine, and in many cases, better, than aftermarket. In the RPM's most riders ride in, normally, the stock parts outperform most aftermarket.

Don't believe me? Just study the torque/hp charts on American Rider or American Iron when they do pipe/air cleaner comparisons. Very few have gains until they surpass 3-3500 RPM's. The new American Rider that just came today (Feb '09) has a nice Joe Minton article on this very subject, which states stock air cleaner is fine below 4000 RPM, but muffler flow can be improved. Many aftermarket companies are producing relatively quiet, but higher performing mufflers.
You know, you have a good point. I got to noticing where my usual RPM range was and its around 2000 to 2900 RPM. I would doubt any of my mods kick in at that range. I know my cam don't. I would guess the 10:5.1 103 piston helps.

Let me tell you what I did sense I made the to threads here and got some great responces. I tried as I asid I would do and put two 5/8 bolts like crossbones in my baffles and I couldn't believe the difference in power or torque. Its true I lost the top end. I could tell the loss so Im guessing if I put quiet exhaust back on I would loose some top end power. Strange how all the other motorcycle manufactures can have quiet exhaust and power. Even the Harley 110 CVO Ultra is quiet and has power. Guess it wouldnt hurt to try a pair of those. I hear the expansion chamber is bigger. thanks for all the great responces.

Old 12-12-2008 | 07:56 AM
corcon
Advanced

You don't need loud to make power.A quality 2 into 1 pipe is pretty quiet and makes more power then alot of loud duals,better scavenging at low rpm.Open pipes only make more hp at wide open throttle,and realistically you are hardly erver there.V&H 2 into 1 on my friends streetbob.Nice sound but not to loud and good power.

Old 12-12-2008 | 08:43 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

I don't see what year your bike is, model, or what mods the dealer installed.

You may want to find a set of the -99 SE II mufflers, if it is a touring bike. They are an improvement in performance without being too loud.

If your bike is an 09, the stock mufflers flow pretty good. I did not notice any change in my TQ or HP dyno number between the -99 SE II pipes and the stock 09 mufflers, on a 103 build with SE 255 cams and a TTs mastertune.

I guess since your bike has a radio, then it must be a tourer. I've found wind noise to be more of a problem than loud exhause for all day touring. Try getting a set of ear-buds for the music, and they also block out excessive wind and exhaust noise.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX71S.../dp/B000092YQW but you can find them cheaper if you shop around. They are comfortable for all day use.

You will need one or two of these adapters:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...41310004r29857

Best way to listen to music for long periods.