General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Equating power with noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:28 PM
FLHXXHLF
|
Tourer

I did have mods done to my bike and did just as the dealer told me to. I even made it a point to tell the dealer I didn't want loud pipes but they did it anyway. Now my wife and riding group says it's loud and when they ride behind me it bothers them. I have Reinhart true duels. I went back to my dealer and told them I didn't want that loud noise and they told me I would loose a lot of power.

So , your telling me harleys wont run without loud pipes ? All other manufactures seem to have no problem. So why is harley pushing loud pipes then for their engines ?

You mean to tell me I cant have a performance motorcycle without loud pipes ?

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:46 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
I did have mods done to my bike and did just as the dealer told me to. I even made it a point to tell the dealer I didn't want loud pipes but they did it anyway.
You didn't pick out the specific pipes you wanted? You gave your dealer permission to put any random exahust system on your bike of their choosing?

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
...So , your telling me harleys wont run without loud pipes ? All other manufactures seem to have no problem. So why is harley pushing loud pipes then for their engines ?

You mean to tell me I cant have a performance motorcycle without loud pipes ?
I don't think you read your replies at all. Troll?

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:59 PM
FLHXXHLF
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by sbergloff
You didn't pick out the specific pipes you wanted? You gave your dealer permission to put any random exahust system on your bike of their choosing?

I don't think you read your replies at all. Troll?

Excuese me !!! Where in all my replies do you see any controduction ? Maybe you need to go back and read, or it's your intention to sabotoge this thread for some reason. Maybe your not getting enough attention ? If I was going to accuse someone of trolling, first I would go and read all their past post to see if they have a record of trolling. You did do that didn't you ? You don't mean to let everyone here know you didn't ? You just quick read my post and determand I was a troll cause you felt like it ? Seems your the troll dude. Bring something positive to this thread or leave.

Last edited by FLHXXHLF; 12-11-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2008 | 03:17 PM
Cold Rider
Advanced

First thing I did was pull the stock exhaust and put on Vance& Hines ovals. I want my Harley to sound like a Harley and not a Singer sewing machine. No other engine mods, yet. I bought a Harley as a stress reliever and the real sound cleans my senses. A long ride leaves me mellow and relaxed. Much better than Prosac!! To each their own I say.

Old 12-11-2008 | 03:21 PM
blippo
Tourer

I kept my stock exhaust. I don't need it any louder than what it is. And it is fast enough like it is

Old 12-11-2008 | 03:32 PM
FLHXXHLF
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by blippo
I kept my stock exhaust. I don't need it any louder than what it is. And it is fast enough like it is
When my wife and I took trips on the Harley before they modified the engine. We could hear the radio and it was a nice ride. I had no idea how bad it was going to be until they put those Reinharts on. The driver gets a lot of bass and noise. Now we have to turn the radio up as loud as it will go.

I guess the question to ask is , can I put a quiter exhaust on without destroying the engine or build. To hear the service department talk about it. It would be a desaster.

Old 12-11-2008 | 03:52 PM
donovan51
Cruiser

Originally Posted by leicafish
There is no correlation in the street environment. It is just here are some real insecure jerks that need to make all of the noise possible.

I went with 50 state SE Slip Ons That are just right.
Guilty as charged.
DILLIGAF

Old 12-11-2008 | 04:10 PM
Cajun King
Road Master

I learned about noise = power back in the day I was racing dirt bikes. Dirt bikes were 2 stroke back then and we called them expansion chambers instead of mufflers. The more we could get those bikes to breath the faster we would go. But loud...I bet we would scare the deer into other states.

Last edited by Cajun King; 12-11-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2008 | 04:16 PM
extech
Road Master

C'mon don't you guys remember the birth of the vrod program, exhaust volume (air, not sound) is how a quiet exhaust system makes power. Thats why you see them great big canisters on crotch rockets that don't make half as much noise as set of aftermarket HD mufflers.

Old 12-11-2008 | 04:36 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

I put my stock pipes back on for my Black Hills ride this summer and have to admit the quiet was nice while burning across the endless plains of SD. HOWEVER, I really did not like it while out in the Hills are around town. Something was truely missing from the riding experience.

As soon as I got back home my somewhat louder 98B's went back on. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Quick Reply: Equating power with noise.