General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 05:17 PM
Marrano
6th Gear

I am sick of our moronic politicians finding excuses to raise our taxes. Parking tickets and cigarettes are already some of the highest sources of revenue in New York City. Smokers here have to pay up to $9.50 for a pack of cigarette, and don’t let your parking meter run over one minute--it will cost you $100. Who’s going to regulate jackhammers, and the painful shrills of subway trains, and the roar of jetliners shaking up neighborhood roofs (which I can hear as I write this)? Next stop, restaurants will be fined for serving food with too much fat and salt. Please, give me a break…

Old 12-11-2008 | 05:31 PM
sgtjeff
Cruiser

As someone who retired from the NYPD after doing 21 years I would say not to lose any sleep over it. It will be one of those laws rarely enforced except when they need an excuse to get someone. The average NYC cop hates writing summonses and most love bikes. Very few would carry any decibel meter anyway.
I would be much more concerned when these laws are passed in small municipalities.
(But if they do enforce the law which I think would be rare, and they do confiscate some Harleys, imagine the good deals we'd be able to get at police auctions!!)

Old 12-11-2008 | 05:48 PM
scott63
Cruiser

Asset forfeiture laws are not new. My earliest recollection was folks caught with dope would have there car confiscated, hell they will take yachts or even homes. They make it a crime and your stuff is the prize.

Old 12-11-2008 | 06:01 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

EPA sticker? No problem...I have a SERT...load in the stock map, bolt on the stock mufflers...go get the sticker. Get home...load in the dyno map...put the SEII's back on......yes officer the EPA says they are fine.

Old 12-11-2008 | 06:15 PM
57springer57
Road Captain

there will be muffler stamps for such , they sell stamp kits at harbor freight for 20 bucks or less . Who is gonna determine if they are legit ? I don't see it happening myself .

Old 12-11-2008 | 06:25 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

There are Lord only knows how many threads on here about pipes The MOCO has since the beginning cautioned riders about noise and the bottom line is that "if we do not police ourselves, the government will do it for us." Yeah, I know, the little a$$hole next to you, in a freakin Honda Civic has his freakin 9000 watt super bass stereo cranked up so you can't even hear your scoot. Doesn't matter. Use discretion in what you put on. Loud does not equal performance. I have Santee .45 Cal duals on my xlh and se slipons on the fxdl. Have been told by people I ride with that both bikes sound great, that low hd rumble. My neighbors don't even notice them and I even a few leos I know comment on the lack of "NOISE" Loud pipes don't save lives. they merely scare the **** out of some old lady in a cage, who proceeds to run you over.

Old 12-11-2008 | 06:53 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
EPA sticker? No problem...I have a SERT...load in the stock map, bolt on the stock mufflers...go get the sticker. Get home...load in the dyno map...put the SEII's back on......yes officer the EPA says they are fine.
It's not a sticker that's applied. It's engraved at the factory. A rather lengthy engraving stating that the muffler meets the 80db EPA standard. And I'm sure it's probably a felony offense to alter or forge it.

I'm thinking the most practical workaround and maybe a nice business to get into would be an "invisible alteration" to the OE mufflers. Something to make them sound louder than stock but not so loud as to arouse the suspicions of the noise police.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 12-11-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2008 | 07:29 PM
HoggerCom
|
Intermediate

Perhaps I misled everyone with the thread title including the word "sticker". The newspaper article refers to it as a "tag", and I'm not quite clear on what they mean, exactly. We'll have to wait until Dec 18th, I guess.

Old 12-11-2008 | 07:48 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by scott63
Asset forfeiture laws are not new. My earliest recollection was folks caught with dope would have there car confiscated, hell they will take yachts or even homes. They make it a crime and your stuff is the prize.
No they are not new. They were actually put into place in the 80's, to put drug kingpins outta biz. And everyone thought it was a grand idea, put them bastuds outta biz. (Worked, huh?) Then they just slowly revised it to take cars during stops. Then to property of ppl in the stops.
They confiscate it, then sell it and the $$ is distributed to the different LEAgencies, and city, as they see fit. Sorta the fox guarding the henhouse. There is a rather healthy incentive, to confiscate property. They confiscate it, and keep the money. That's a tough one to figure out.
Guess some hit it correct, CASH COW.
When will it stop? When YOU stop it. Not a day before.

Old 12-11-2008 | 07:56 PM
powaypete
Road Master

No habla englis ????

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required