General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:17 PM
84FXST
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tinker1
Denver is bad for this.. no confiscation of your scoot, but you get a ticket over loud pipes. Out this way it's the bicyclers that caused the problems. Seems we are ruining their serenity as they roll alone at 5mph in the center of the road on blind turns...

So far, just taking it easy through town has allowed most around here to avoid problems with the LEOs, I'm hoping that doesn't change.

Seems to me I heard there was an article in the Oakland Tribune (out west in CA) about the Oakland cops putting louder pipes on their bikes because it was safer for them to do it. I think they were still hanging paper on citizen bikers... double standard of course.

The ticket I can kind of understand, but puttin yer hands on my bike and thinking your gonna take it is abso F'N lutely rediculous!!

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:28 PM
dantoniov
Advanced

From what I can tell its about straight pipes that put out 110 decibels or more. Most bikes upgrade pipes but can be within the 80 decibel required by the EPA and still be "loud". The 110 decibels are pipes reaching jet engine noise levels LOL!

I had a guy crack my hearing when he rode by our group with straight pipes. There's a HUGE difference between getting that Harley sound and being that moron that rode by us.

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:40 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by dantoniov
From what I can tell its about straight pipes that put out 110 decibels or more. Most bikes upgrade pipes but can be within the 80 decibel required by the EPA and still be "loud". The 110 decibels are pipes reaching jet engine noise levels LOL!

I had a guy crack my hearing when he rode by our group with straight pipes. There's a HUGE difference between getting that Harley sound and being that moron that rode by us.
I guess you didn't read the OP. The law that's being enforced has NOTHING to do with decibels. Federal law requires that all exhaust systems have an EPA stamp (embossed on the exhaust system) that shows the exhaust system is in compliance with EPA regulations.

Like it or not; No EPA stamp equals a violation of federal law and you're busted; if the local governing authority chooses to enforce it.

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:43 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Default ...

80 db??? Are they serious? That'll take the majority of all vehicles off the road. How did they arrive at that figure?
I just put a new set of slipons on my RK and got it down to 100 db at IDLE and I think it's reasonable now.

CN

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:51 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by petemac
This has nothing to do with noise and everything to do with money. These nitwits figured out they can steal peoples bikes under the guise of a "noise problem", but all they really want are the fines and the money they can get selling your bike.

Like I always say....politicians are a half a step above child molesters on the food chain.
+1
big budget deficeit = stupid money grabbing laws. phuk NYC

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:52 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

And that gentlemen is why I will NEVER get a ticket for not having EPA approved mufflers:
http://www.superflowmufflers.com/products.htm
Everyone I ride with says they sound Great!

Old 12-11-2008 | 02:55 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
It must really suck to live in NYC. I mean, there's no hand guns, **** fighting, NASCAR, decent BBQ or Mexican food. What the hell is there to do for entertainment?
Governor Spitzer had no problem finding hookers.

Old 12-11-2008 | 03:03 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Governor Spitzer had no problem finding hookers.

LOL...Nuff said.

Old 12-11-2008 | 03:24 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
80 db??? Are they serious? That'll take the majority of all vehicles off the road. How did they arrive at that figure?
I just put a new set of slipons on my RK and got it down to 100 db at IDLE and I think it's reasonable now.

CN

Just checked the stock pipes that were on my '09 SG...It has the EPA info engraved into both pipes, saying that they are EPA approved at 80 db.

I'm wondering how many db's the Monster Ovals are putting out?

Old 12-11-2008 | 03:27 PM
Bago
Advanced
Angry What's the deal?

I'm confused,EPA compliant pipes must have a sticker on them or does the EPA stamp have to be embossed on the pipes?

I can't see it being a sticker, sticker's can be pulled off and reapplied.
Plus, some genius will be selling sticker's on E-bay soon.

I think the whole idea is a crock of sh*t, especially with all the punks I pass with their Honda's and Mitso"s with a 5" pipe hanging off it redlining at 6000rpm's and the radio blaring.

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required