General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:10 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Unhappy

Not that I like it but; There has been a Federal EPA regulation in place since the late 70's, modified in 1982, that requires all OEM exhaust systems to pass EPA noise standards and that those exhaust systems be embossed with a certification label. Look closely next time your at a dealer and you will find the label embossed in the heat shield. The regulation further prohibits any tampering with the OEM exhaust system.

Places like CA, Denver and other states, counties and cities are realizing that it's an easy way to crack down on noise, generate revenue and harass bikers if they are so inclined. They don't have to catch you in the act, measure any sound levels or chase you down. A parked bike without the EPA stamp on its exhaust can legally be cited for being in violation of the Federal EPA Regulation. This can occur anywhere in the US if the local government agency chooses to enforce it. Like it or not, it's that simple and it's only going to get worse as more localities jump on the bandwagon.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:16 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Arizona
Do bikes come from the factory with an EPA sticker applied? (I know they have the basic sticker that says it was built meeting compliance, etc - is this what they're talking about?) Do other vehicles? If NYC wants to pay for my inspection and sticker that's fine. Otherwise do it for all other vehicles also or shove it up your $*$&#
The EPA stamp they're talking about is on the bottom of the OEM mufflers. From the factory I think it's 82 db so I don't know how NYC is getting by with 80. Riding in NYC is a real thrill. Rode in a few times and almost got killed by a couple of the IDIOT cab drivers.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:26 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Real simple no be an A$$ in town no hassle, Have pipes that are stupid loud with a spastic throttle hand loose your bike.

Alot of jerks bought this on us. We are paying for jackasses that are adding to this post that just dont get.

On the open Highway beast your bike in the city don't be an A$$

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:30 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

Denver is bad for this.. no confiscation of your scoot, but you get a ticket over loud pipes. Out this way it's the bicyclers that caused the problems. Seems we are ruining their serenity as they roll alone at 5mph in the center of the road on blind turns...

So far, just taking it easy through town has allowed most around here to avoid problems with the LEOs, I'm hoping that doesn't change.

Seems to me I heard there was an article in the Oakland Tribune (out west in CA) about the Oakland cops putting louder pipes on their bikes because it was safer for them to do it. I think they were still hanging paper on citizen bikers... double standard of course.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:50 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by leicafish
Real simple no be an A$$ in town no hassle, Have pipes that are stupid loud with a spastic throttle hand loose your bike.

Alot of jerks bought this on us. We are paying for jackasses that are adding to this post that just dont get.

On the open Highway beast your bike in the city don't be an A$$
Leica, that is part of it... rapping, revving and other stuff in town is causing reaction and restrictions on us.

However, I don't doubt for a minute that the political climate for bikes (and freedom-lovers) is getting worse and worse... at some point the libs will out and out persecute those who don't look, drive, smell and think exactly the way they do... and they will use political muscle to bring yo azz in line.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:56 PM
Juno
Banned

They would definately have to catch me!!!!! VVVRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2008 | 01:05 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

What would Indian Larry do, if he were still with us?????

Old 12-11-2008 | 01:09 PM
scubabike420
Cruiser

Let's see. Caught twice with non-EPA approved pipes and the local government will take your bike. Collect millions a year in pay and stock options while running a company into the ground and the federal government hands over billions. Yeah, that makes sense.

Old 12-11-2008 | 01:21 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
It must really suck to live in NYC. I mean, there's no hand guns, **** fighting, NASCAR, decent BBQ or Mexican food. What the hell is there to do for entertainment?

I take exception to that comment!

Dinosaur BBQ on 125th St is awesome

Old 12-11-2008 | 01:45 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by golfblues
I take exception to that comment!

Dinosaur BBQ on 125th St is awesome

Compared to what???
Ain't no such thing as Real BBQ north of the Mason Dixon.

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required