General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 11:35 AM
amike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HoggerCom
Opened today's NY Daily News to page 4 this morning, and here's what I found.

It states that the bike can be held for a FIRST time offense, if it lacks the required EPA sticker, and a max fine up to $1000. Not only cops, but traffic agents, and other city workers can enforce this law... while you're PARKED!

SECOND offense, and they KEEP IT!

The timing seems to be coinciding with the Safety Enforcement program proposed for nearby Suffolk county on Long Island.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there, much less ride there.

Old 12-11-2008 | 11:43 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Whadda joke! I have SE 16-Guage pipes on my Deluxe...and, I couldn't hear the first hint of 'em ridin thru NYC. With all the probs they have...and this is the legislation they're writin?! I've worked in, lived in (for temporary projects), and traveled thru cities like NYC, Chicago, Baltimore, Boston, blah blah blah...and I have yet to understand why anyone would live in such places? Not tryin to offend anyone here, as I'm sure there are plenty of folks right here on this forum that prefer the big city life...I just don't get it...always seemed like such a hassle to me. It's kinda like someone mentioned in 'nuther thread...we get troublemakers out here, we deal with 'em...we don't write new laws, 'cause we can manage such trivial matters at a more personal level. But, ya'll go ahead and stay there...leaves more room out here in the country.

Old 12-11-2008 | 11:44 AM
HoggerCom
|
Intermediate

To those who say get out of NYC, well... I personally was bred, born and raised here, and there's alot more to NYC than the parts of midtown that you see on TV.
There are 4 other boroughs outside of Manhattan, where the majority of the working class live, to keep this city running. This includes a fairly respectable high biker population as well.

Let's not slam New Yorkers too hard here.. that's not what this is about. Most of us are just hard working folk trying to get by, just like elsewhere in the country.

This type of legislation affects EVERYONE, or soon will. Just like the indoor smoking ban, which started here in NYC...

Old 12-11-2008 | 11:47 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Two days ago I had three trucks pass me and they made my bike sound quiet. Two were pickups and one was a tractor. The tractor was slowing down with his engine brake on. There is nothing that pisses me off more than to have to sit by a red light and listen to a Dodge truck with one of them rattling Cummins diesels. What about them butt vibrating cars with them dumb *** boom boxes. They drive down my road at night and it passes--if they stopped I would encourage them to drive on or turn it down. Usually I roll over and go back to sleep. With all of that said do I write my congressidiot or my local egotistical pollywog's---no. I wait on the light and I ride on down the road. Intolerance is the problem. Making people conform is the problem. My suggestion is for bikers to join abate and vote these people out. The other thing is to learn tolerance and patience. Voice your opinion but remember bull**** laws are always used in very imaginative ways once passed.
Originally Posted by George C
I know when I'm in my truck, some inconsiderate biker always has to pass me and rattle my world thinking he's cool. Now, everybody will eventually have to pay the price for the inconsideration of a few moron bikers.

Last edited by oldairboater; 12-11-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2008 | 11:47 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

that's why I like the desert!

Old 12-11-2008 | 11:52 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Good to know that NY politicians have enough time on their hands to worry about BS like this. Must make them feel like they're finally accomplishing something.

With all the noise in the city itself from sirens, trucks, and horns it's hard to imagine anyone even noticing a motorcycle. In all my visits there I can't remember motorcycle noise being a problem.

I'm all for reasonable restrictions on bike noise but the EPA stamp standard is way over the top. The only aftermarket exhaust I know of that carries an EPA stamp is HDs SE.

Old 12-11-2008 | 11:55 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by gunner11
that's why I like the desert!
But, Roswell, NM, Gunner? I thought those UFOs made a boat-load of noise and they keep droppin cone-head bodies and tin foil all over the place?? Ohhhhhh, wait!! you're sayin that's better than the bureaucracy/laws jungle? Gotcha!

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:01 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HoggerCom
To those who say get out of NYC, well... I personally was bred, born and raised here, and there's alot more to NYC than the parts of midtown that you see on TV.
There are 4 other boroughs outside of Manhattan, where the majority of the working class live, to keep this city running. This includes a fairly respectable high biker population as well.

Let's not slam New Yorkers too hard here.. that's not what this is about. Most of us are just hard working folk trying to get by, just like elsewhere in the country.

This type of legislation affects EVERYONE, or soon will. Just like the indoor smoking ban, which started here in NYC...
Hey Hogger...I know every city has its share of decent folks...I just don't understand how ya'll put up with all the hassles of livin in such big cities. In the past, I've worked temporary projects in several big cities, and I couldn't get outta of 'em soon enuf. Traffic, congestion, noise, pollution, odors which I never was able to identify , tempers, high prices, high rent, crime, blah blah blah...just not for me. The whole time I was workin in Boston...four months...I always wondered why folks didn't just pick up and go to the country? I guess it's what yer born into, aye...'cause I've met folks that moved from the city out to the country and just couldn't stand it. To each their own I guess...but, I come home from work...pour myself a margarita...and relax outside in the fresh air, listen to the breeze rustlin thru the leaves, and watch Great Blue Herons flyin by and occassionally snaggin a fish outta the lake. Call me crazy, but...

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:03 PM
BuffaloRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by sniper77
I personally hope this negatively effects everyone that ever even considered voting for Charles Schumer.

<dropping for cover>
He is no different then 95% of the elected officials in NY. They're all losers.

Old 12-11-2008 | 12:07 PM
mroleg
Advanced

This is maddening. Now I have to raise one very important issue. Are the stock pipes within the regulation? What if they are above 80 db? What then? What about older bikes?

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required