General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008 | 07:54 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
What is the decibel of a stock Harley? 80 Db sounds pretty low.
Tom
Has to be less than 80db. Why you ask?. Because HD's 80db rated/EPA stamped SE slipons are a tad louder than stock.

Far as I know and I've done a bit of research on the subject, the current HD SEs are the only street legal add on pipes you can get. And that's sad.

There would be alot more voluntary compliance with these noise laws if set reasonable decibel levels. 80 is pathetic. The way it is, it's just going to be a major revenue generator until riders figure out a way to circumvent the law.

I put a call into V&H this past summer. They said they were working on some street legal pipes but as of now they have none.

Old 12-15-2008 | 05:20 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Got emailed this today:

New York City Council Pulls Motorcycle Noise Bill
That was the headline reported by the MRF’s Jeff Hennie this morning, and biker’s in New York, at least for some time, can breathe a collective sigh of relief. It’s not a time to celebrate yet, because the council could come back very soon and consider this bill again.

Basically, anyone parking a bike on the street in New York City would be subject to a $1,000 fine if there was no EPA sticker on the exhaust pipe. This stems from the Clean Air Act of 1979, a little known and unenforced, until now, rule from the federal government. The growing problem of excessively loud pipes has been popping up all over the country. One of the more watched and reported upon cases last year was the city of Del Ray Beach, Florida. There, the city wanted to exclude motorcycle access to a beach front area because of complaints of loud pipes. The bikers, motorcycle clubs and several rights’ organizations were able to change the council’s mind because of preemption and federal law that prohibits the denial of use of public roads that were wholly or partly funded by federal monies.

In Kenosha, Wisconsin, the sheriff indicated that his deputies would be out in force ticketing loud bikes during the Harley-Davidson 105th celebration. Hupy and Abraham, S.C. participated in meetings with the sheriff, along with local ABATE representatives, and the issue was resolved and we don’t know of any citations for loud pipes during the anniversary.

New York’s situation is unique in that the council there isn’t relying on a noise level, such as the required 80 decibel limit. Rather, the city is insisting that an EPS sticker must be affixed to the exhaust system and in plain view. That means a motorcycle doesn’t even have to be running to be cited for a violation. Besides the stiff penalty, confiscation of the bike is also part of the new rule for consideration.

Motorcycle groups, such as the AMA and MRF, find this both excessive and discriminatory in nature. We hope Speaker Christine Quinn will consider the many problems this bill will create and prevent it from moving forward. Meanwhile, the motorcycle community will search for ways to convince bikers to manage their throttles better, or we will see more restrictive laws coming in 2009. The impact of such legislation is unknown at this time, but it will certainly adversely affect the riders who own vintage motorcycles and the large cottage industry of after market exhaust systems

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:55 AM
84FXST
Cruiser

See, we all get worked up for nothing.

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:37 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Default It's not over--it's just not now

It's not over--it's just not now. This is a cash cow issue. People don't like motorcycles for many different reasons. From jealousy to the fact we are different. Motorcycles irritate a large section of people--they don't like to see us, hear us or even share the road with us. There are enough motorcycles to make it attractive to target us for fines and we are a fractured group most of the time and that makes us easy to attack. I use to never hear a biker say that another biker's bike is too loud or he rides too aggressive and is going to get us all in trouble. I read that crap here all the time now. It seems that the you meet the nicest people on a honda crowd now rides Harley's so they can now attack other Harley owners over pipes and ride. I can remember bikers not being welcome and biker discrimination. It still happens in some places and it still happens with insurance.
Originally Posted by 84FXST
See, we all get worked up for nothing.

Old 12-16-2008 | 11:12 AM
84FXST
Cruiser

I was kidding, I know it is far from over. Didn't ya see the big green smiley face that means I'm Kidding?

Old 12-16-2008 | 12:13 PM
weezo
Tourer

As my wife would say, "How can you kid around about something like this??!"

Old 12-16-2008 | 01:43 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

Last time I was in NYC I was taking a **** in the Port Authority. A guy leans over and starts masturbating and looking at my *****. End of that story, but I think there are deeper problems in NYC to worry about. I guess perverts don't get ticked whole sale for masturbating in public. Not enough review in enforcing that law.

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:44 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I saw your smiley and I thought that you were happy that it was over for now. Sorry my mistake. Anyone that rides an 84 FXST is serious --old iron. Like the bike.
Originally Posted by 84FXST
I was kidding, I know it is far from over. Didn't ya see the big green smiley face that means I'm Kidding?

Last edited by oldairboater; 12-16-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2008 | 09:53 PM
weezo
Tourer

Originally Posted by tlb
Last time I was in NYC I was taking a **** on the Port Authority. A guy leans over and starts masturbating and looking at my *****. End of that story, but I think there are deeper problems in NYC to worry about. I guess perverts don't get ticked whole sale for masturbating in public. Not enough review in enforcing that law.
Wow, I'm trying to decide what's sicker - you pissing on the Port Authority, whoever that is, or the guy masturbating while he watches you do it. Sick, all of you!!

Old 12-16-2008 | 10:51 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
"YOU" have to get involved. "YOU" have to act.
This is what happens when "YOU" let someone else 'do it'.

We live a couple of 'blocks' off the major hiway here, and I LOVE to hear the Harleys go by. And those with 'pipes', we can hear almost a mile away when they're coming and going. Sounds 'nice'. BUT if 'they' are hammering on the pipes 'in town' or in a residential area, I'll be the first to jump 'their' azz. It's called, 'respect'. And it starts with "YOU" and me.
But likewise, we cannot roll over and let 'other' peeps, make the rules for us.
What does it take? A rather LARGE contingent of peeps, making a big azzed noise, in UNISON.

For those of you who posted, "F*ck New York". Food for thought:
They came after the Jews. They hollered and sreamed, but we didn't do anything, we were Lutherans.
They came after the gypsies. They hollered and screamed, but we didn't do anything, we were Lutherans.
They came after the Catholics. They holllered and screamed, but we didn't do anything, we were Lutherans.
They came after US Lutherans, and we hollered and screamed. BUT there was no one left to hear us.
Think 'bout that, before you sell your neighbor down the river.
This is all irrelevant because the examples have nothing to do with the New York City Department of Environmental Heath ordinance. In sub-section 5 of the code section 24-232 you will find the current law concerning the exhaust noise limitations for motorcycles other than motor driven cycles. There it states no motorcycle will be above 88dbA if produced after January 1, 1978. That said, what's the problem with simply enforcing the law that currently exists? Could it be the city is on the verge of bankruptcy? I found it interesting the fine for running a red light, which clearly has the greater potential for loss of life and public damage is only about $300 and guess what, they don't confiscate your ride. Go figure.