General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008 | 02:54 PM
gsgtrman
Advanced

My wife and myself are in the minority apparently...We both love to ride from Jersey into Manhattan and spend days there in the not-so-popular parts of town. It sucks when this type of legislation is handed down; however, this has not passed yet. It is set to be up for Council approval on December 18.
I am reading a lot of bitching and moaning about "the man" and the laws that suck, etc... Instead of wasting time with this, why doesn't everyone that is concerned about this go to this link:
http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp
You can click on "Issues and Legislation" and then read about the pending law. You are then able to contact the Speaker Christine Quinn and voice your opinion. It may not be much, but it IS something.
For those of you who don't think this will make a difference, well you may be right. But then again, are you absolutely positive? There are 15 pages of posts here in the Forum expressing objection to the legislation. If everyone who posted here contacted Speaker Quinn with the same expression of objection, then we might get the attention that this deserves for our side. C'mon, what's it going to cost you - a few minutes of your time to send an email? Don't worry, the Showdown Forum will still be here tomorrow....
And for those that don't ride in New York, fear not...as others here have already stated, if this law passes in NY, it will be in your hometown soon enough.

Old 12-14-2008 | 03:16 PM
NYSportster
Cruiser

I already wrote to several representatives. NYC took note of what happened in Denver. If you don't stop the domino effect, look for something similar to come to a city near you. They're great revenue boosters and the gov't are feeling the economic crunch right now.

Old 12-14-2008 | 03:24 PM
weezo
Tourer

Originally Posted by max56
Yeah, and you'll be locked up with some guy named Bubba loading up your behind. You'll be squealing at his magical moment when he goes too far.
I'm talking about the big picture, maybe you don't get it. Should I call it "The Big Revolt?" or, "The Next Tea Party?" When enough is finally enough - this isn't about ME going to prison for breaking the law. It's about throwing the criminals who are supposedly running the Country into Bubba's cell for laughs and good times.

It's an all-American tradition!

Old 12-14-2008 | 03:32 PM
spikeofwoolsey
Cruiser

I'm sure Vallone Jr would appreciate a few hand written letters of disapproval. His office address is 22-45 31 Street Astoria NY 11105.

Old 12-14-2008 | 03:42 PM
Graduate
Cruiser

NY should say on their signs welcoming those from other states (Welcome to NY please pull over and pay tax). Everything here is about separating you and your money.

Old 12-14-2008 | 03:43 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

We all want our bikes to perform better. there are lots of comparisons on this thread bikes vs. cars.

But, how many car owners ever replace a muffler before it is shot? Many, if not most, of Harley owners do it before the bike leaves the dealership, or, at the least, soon afterwards.

Study the hp/torque charts on aftermarket items such as air cleaners and pipes. Very few have any performance gains before 3-3500 RPM. Think about that for a while....

Old 12-14-2008 | 04:26 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I've heard of vehicles being impounded for various infractions, but it seems that confiscating a vehicle based on nothing more than an equipment violation is opening a legal can of worms.

Normally a vehicle isn't confiscated unless used during an offense resulting in a felony conviction.

Last I heard running loud pipes wasn't considered a felony, but then again, the way things are going who knows for sure from day to day.
Agreed. Here is the EPA penalty info. for illegal exhaust modifications.

The federal tampering prohibition is contained in section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act (Act), 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3). Section 203(a)(3)(A) of the Act prohibits any person from removing or rendering inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in any motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under Title II of the Act (i.e., regulations requiring certification that vehicles meet federal emissions standards). The maximum civil penalty for a violation of this section by a manufacturer or dealer is $25,000; for any other person, $2,500. Accordingly, any change from the original certified configuration of a vehicle or engine, or the manufacture or sale of a non-original equipment aftermarket part or system could be considered a violation of section 203(a)(3) of the Act. This would include modifications to the fuel delivery system.

Old 12-14-2008 | 04:34 PM
Juno
Banned

Give me loud pipes over jungle bumpin music anytime!!

Old 12-14-2008 | 04:48 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Default Everything in Moderation

That's what my dad always told me: in moderation, most people will tolerate alot. In excess, only the few will, and the majority will force a change in your life.

I have stock exhaust on my Ultra, but at 5:30 am, when I roll out of the garage, they sound VERY loud in our neighborhood. So does my neighbor's rebuilt early 70's Mustang.

I roll out the bike to the bottom of my drive and while rolling start it up, slip in to first gear and cruise out as quietly as possible. And if I come home late, with babies and others seeking quiet, I roll in as quietly as possible.

Doing so is only common good will to others. Folks, we don't live in a vacuum where "leave us alone, we don't bother you", will work. The few that won't change, will make it tough on the rest of us. Believe it, the man can take it away.

Old 12-14-2008 | 06:09 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

What is the decibel of a stock Harley? 80 Db sounds pretty low.
Tom

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required