General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008 | 12:34 AM
RBJones
Tourer

I think there's misplaced anger here. It's the riders who have the gawdawful noisy straight pipes and gutted barking mufflers -- and rapping them in the neighborhoods -- who are the ones screwing us all. Sorry to say, more states and cities are going to crack down. The right for people to have peace and quiet outweighs the right of bikers to have loud pipes in any court of public opinion. Remember there are many, many more of the former than the latter. People are sick of it and they're taking action. Bikers are going to lose this one town-by-town.

You can enjoy the sound of a Harley without the jagged rip that some of these pipes make. I've had to ride behind some of these jokers and they will give you a major headache in a half an hour.

Keep that in mind when your town gives you a ticket for loud pipes just because you are riding a Harley. A cop in my town said that public pressure is on the cops to do something about the racket. That's why she pulled me over and gave me a warning even though I have fairly quiet touring mufflers.

The loud pipers will end up getting all of us banned from having anything but stock pu$$y pipes in the future.

Old 12-14-2008 | 06:13 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't have a problem with loud pipe tickets but what gives any government agency the right to confiscate my bike? That's just stealing ,period.

Old 12-14-2008 | 10:10 AM
deker9
Cruiser

What I would love to know is where the motorcycle noise is so bad in NYC that so many people have decided to file a formal complaint. NYC is probably the noisiest place on the planet. Heck if they banned verbal conversations on the street they would probably drop the noise level by a few db, now that would be nice. Having traveled in many parts of the country, I think you hardly see a bike in NYC when compared to other places. This is likely driven by something other than the actual sound of the pipes.

Old 12-14-2008 | 10:58 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Cool Not on my Original Pipes

Originally Posted by jimmers1817

Its engraved and not something a guy in his garage could replicate.
Jimmers,
Thank you for posting the "engraved" statement on the pipes an posing a picture. You definatly have a point, no stamping could handle that. I wonder when they started doing this or when the EPA required the stamping. What year did HD start stamping their pipes because I believe I have an argument when going to court. But then again, I doint ride with the throttle wide open like an A$$! THE 1999 YEAR PIPES DONT HAVE THE STAMPING, at least not mine. I think HD started stamping in 2004 but I am not sure....
Please, I hope someone can verify or correct my statement!
Rugby

Old 12-14-2008 | 11:09 AM
weezo
Tourer
Angry What happened to "FIX IT" tickets??

Ticketing somebody with really loud pipes is one thing. Having the authority to confiscate bikes based on nothing more than a stamp is another.

The pacifist attitude of blaming the few and then just accepting the seizure of property is exactly what is running this country into the ground. Those of you who roll over and say, "it isn't my fault" and then watch it happen are pu$$ies. I hope you aren't calling yourself "real bikers" either, and that has nothing to do with how many miles you ride or whether you ride in the rain. It has to do with attitude.

Old 12-14-2008 | 11:13 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Divide and conquer---riders with your mind set are another problem. I not only ride --I do drive also. Yesterday I was in my jeep---soft top---plastic windows and we drove to a motorcycle rally. Too sick to ride and really should not have been out in the wind ,but I wanted to go. As a bystander instead of a rider I was subjected to pipes and show offs. Some were too loud but a lot just sounded nice. It didn't last that long. I live in a neighborhood with several riders. I can hear one of my neighbors getting off of the highway a mile away. Its not offensive and it doesn't last that long. Intolerance and trying to make me conform is the problem. Riders agreeing to help make me conform is the other problem. You are the problem and people who think like you are the problem.
Originally Posted by RBJones
I think there's misplaced anger here. It's the riders who have the gawdawful noisy straight pipes and gutted barking mufflers -- and rapping them in the neighborhoods -- who are the ones screwing us all. Sorry to say, more states and cities are going to crack down. The right for people to have peace and quiet outweighs the right of bikers to have loud pipes in any court of public opinion. Remember there are many, many more of the former than the latter. People are sick of it and they're taking action. Bikers are going to lose this one town-by-town.

You can enjoy the sound of a Harley without the jagged rip that some of these pipes make. I've had to ride behind some of these jokers and they will give you a major headache in a half an hour.

Keep that in mind when your town gives you a ticket for loud pipes just because you are riding a Harley. A cop in my town said that public pressure is on the cops to do something about the racket. That's why she pulled me over and gave me a warning even though I have fairly quiet touring mufflers.

The loud pipers will end up getting all of us banned from having anything but stock pu$$y pipes in the future.

Old 12-14-2008 | 11:14 AM
weezo
Tourer

...and in case anyone's wondering - yeah, I'm locked and loaded and just waiting for that magical moment when Big Brother finally goes too far. Seems like it won't be that far off...

Old 12-14-2008 | 11:40 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

I've heard of vehicles being impounded for various infractions, but it seems that confiscating a vehicle based on nothing more than an equipment violation is opening a legal can of worms.

Normally a vehicle isn't confiscated unless used during an offense resulting in a felony conviction.

Last I heard running loud pipes wasn't considered a felony, but then again, the way things are going who knows for sure from day to day.

Old 12-14-2008 | 02:14 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HDFanatic
Federal Regulations are not normally enforced by the local cops, only by Federal cops. I am not sure local cops can enforce Federal Law. And.....it would have to be filed in Federal Court. How many Federal agencies are going to send out their agents to enforce noise ordinances? I guess if you want to report someone for a violation of this Federal law you would need to call the FBI. I bet their response time would be somewhere around........never. This is why the locals are trying to pass their own laws. So they can enforce them for the revenue. And believe me, it is not about the noise. It is about the revenue and statistics. If you don't believe me, check with your local cops and see if they can tell you exactly how much money they have made from citations and exactly how many citations they have written during the year. I bet they know exactly.
MOST federal regs/rules are enforced by feds but Reagan defunded the enforcement placing the responsibility of states and local governemment. The funding was also kept low during Clintons reign. I don't think you have to worry about FBI giving you a ticket for a loud pipe

Old 12-14-2008 | 02:30 PM
max56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by semerson
...and in case anyone's wondering - yeah, I'm locked and loaded and just waiting for that magical moment when Big Brother finally goes too far. Seems like it won't be that far off...

Yeah, and you'll be locked up with some guy named Bubba loading up your behind. You'll be squealing at his magical moment when he goes too far.

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required