General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008 | 09:08 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain

If you read the article again like I did your bike doesn't even have to be running. Like someone posted above if you've got a pissed off meter maid and they check your pipes and don't see the stamp here it comes.
Also this law was based on the laws written up in Denver. Colo used to be real laid back state at one time.

Old 12-12-2008 | 09:48 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

This aint just a NYC deal gentlemen.----------- It WILL be comeing to YOUR town or city SOONER or later! SAD, BUT SOOOOOO TRUE.

Old 12-12-2008 | 11:19 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hd2007
Typical , highest taxes in the nation , gangs all over the place , welfare and food stamps are there for all the minority's , not to mention section 8 housing . Little incentive to get these lazy drug dealers off there asses , but loud pipes really must be on the top of the list . UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE
Thats what I'm talking about,good post.How many politicians do you know personaly (hd riders)? Before they were elected how did they put the food their tables ? How many actually worked and produced a product with their own hands that was able to be sold and help out the USA? BUT,in all their infinet wisdom they decide it is right and proper to take your bike away from you and forget about lawyers it's a done deal.HIDE YOUR GUNS AND CASH NOW.

Old 12-13-2008 | 05:12 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Be interesting to see how many bikers get reamed at the bike show next month.

Old 12-13-2008 | 05:20 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Didn't Read every post but is probably coming to your neighborhood soon...

Old 12-13-2008 | 09:32 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member

I see a flaw in this plan that we all need to be aware of

Our bikes do not have the original exhaust with the DOT stamp right? If you go to the dealer and ask about the availablilty of the correct stock exhaust, depending on the year - THEY ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE. I had a discussion with a local LEO about non stock and educated him to the fact that these bikes may never be compliant if the mufflers are not available from the manufacturer. He said that was something that they (LE) had never discussed, only how to look for the DOT stamps.

As others have stated this would be a difficult law to enforce. Other vecihles are permitted to use after market exhausts and not required to have an OEM stamped muffler. The automakers are on their knees now - will the government require them to mfg mufflers for every year and model they made? Sure they will.

There are several arguments that could be made but the bottom line is if the parts are not available, how can it be enforced? The noise issue is seperate and they can pursue that

Profiling of Harley Riders ? Ron White sayz Profilin' is wrong.

Old 12-13-2008 | 09:34 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by will2002
This aint just a NYC deal gentlemen.----------- It WILL be comeing to YOUR town or city SOONER or later! SAD, BUT SOOOOOO TRUE.
Agreed.

Old 12-13-2008 | 10:03 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

I just took my bike in for a dyno tune. I have added the HD 48 state legal CVO mufflers and true duals along with the SE AC and SERT. The tuner was really upset that he could not get better numbers and REALLY wanted me to change over to a louder free flowing pipe. I explained that A) I wanted a quieter bike so I could hear my wife or the radio, and B) the sound laws are coming and the tuners better get used to working with quieter pipes.

He did make a pretty good case for going back to the crossover exhaust, but could not guaruntee that the bike would run cool enough on the right leg with the OEM pipes.

I have had 40" drags on the sporty and both upswepts and 2-1 performance pipes on the Panhead, and I loved the sound. But these days I only like a loud HD if it belongs to someone else, and I am not riding next to it, lol.

Old 12-13-2008 | 03:28 PM
cerk4
Cruiser

As a fellow new yorker i can tell you that the best part of the city are the roads that lead out of it. Head north to new paltz we have some good riding here

Old 12-13-2008 | 03:30 PM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member

The areas that pass these kinds of ordinances do not care whether there are factory replacement parts available in order for you to be in compliance. All they care about is the money.

I'll bet all city vehicles are exempt from the law.

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required