General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008 | 08:20 AM
Sinner69
Novice

Originally Posted by HoggerCom
Seizure of your house and land, if you use a weed whacker and lawnmower on a Saturday or Sunday.

By the way, if you think these lefty-liberal scare scenarios, including this pending legislation don't affect you because you live elsewhere, guess again.

If this passes, word will get around.. get around to other "annoyed citizens", politians, and every little town that you like to ride through from coast to coast.

Once a precedence is set, you better bet that cute town you and your riding buddies like to stop at for lunch on Sundays will consider passing similar laws.

If the noisiest, loudest, rudest city in the country can try to do something like this, those sleepy little towns that are annoyed by bikers are just chomping at the bit to see this passed.

We have some big problems coming in this country. Very big.

It is. It's insane.

Something to understand though... and I keep hearing it alot in this thread, and others. Some of us actually live and work here.

It's not like we're a group of weekend riders deciding to "go for a pleasure ride into the big New York City".

Many of the guys I know who live here, and are part of this cityscape, don't even own a car.

We ride motorcycles, well, because we're bikers. We ride by 'default'. Whether it's going to the store, going to work, picking up the girlfriend from work, visiting mom, meeting the bros, whatever. We live here, and we ride. It's not a "destination" that we chose to visit. And it's seldom a "pleasure" ride.

It's as natural for some of us to swing our leg over the bike in the morning, as it is for the yuppie in his BMW to double park outside of Starbucks.

In fact, many of us got into bikes originally to get through the traffic easier.

This is my home, this is where I HAVE to ride.

You got that right. My biggest problem is finding myself a political "minority" in NY. The leftys have no idea what kind of damage they're doing, or enabling.

And the sneakiest ones get elected to office. Bloomberg originally ran on the republican ticket, whom I myself voted for. Wow.. what a mistake that was.

Can you imagine what's going to happen next???? With an incoming Obama, and a majority Democrat congress, and the entire northeast states governed by Dems, well guess what. People called for "change"???? Well... it's coming. It's really coming.

+1 ...well put

Old 12-12-2008 | 08:31 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IronAss
Unfrigginbeleivable!!! I say we torch the place....Ya Fer Me Or Again Me?
definitely fer! torch the whole thing!!

Old 12-12-2008 | 09:33 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fxdwg_rugby
Does any one know what "year" they started stamping pipes? Would any one please post a picture of what a stamp looks like?

Its engraved and not something a guy in his garage could replicate.

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:04 AM
atlasfields
Cruiser

Come down to 3rd Street or out to Henry Ave and try to take a bike.

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:06 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior

Since when did NYC care about federal law? Even after federal rulings on HOV lanes being for bikes too , NYC still tickets for being in the lane.
I guess a great business would be to install new internals into stock housings , so the performance & sound quality is improved , yet retains epa stampings

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:31 AM
grunt25inf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by atlasfields
Come down to 3rd Street or out to Henry Ave and try to take a bike.
My neighbor, who is also a good friend, is a member of the 3rd Street Crew. We were talking about the story in the Daily News. The cops usually dont bother them but some dumb meter maid might try to 'enforce the law" and inspect one of their bikes. I couldnt imagine trying to take one..................
Touch a bike; you will get hurt. Period

Old 12-12-2008 | 11:20 AM
kbear
Road Captain

The problem with this is that it is a Draconian Law that targets a group of individuals and not the individual that causes the problem for no other reason that a cash cow. It is not the city it is not the politician but again the individual "us" for allowing it. You can't stop it without becoming involved.

A wise man once said "How far does Democracy go before it becomes something else... If you do not get involved it is nothing... Not worth the paper it is written on..." etc.

Old 12-12-2008 | 12:11 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

ALL politicians are full of sh*t!

Old 12-12-2008 | 07:50 PM
powaypete
Road Master

Riding with QUIET pipes has more freedom? In NYC it does !!!
Got hassled many years ago with straight shotgun pipes, all bikes since then have been quiet. I don't get hassled, keep riding, and enjoying my day of RIDING without a ticket.

Old 12-12-2008 | 08:55 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

Typical , highest taxes in the nation , gangs all over the place , welfare and food stamps are there for all the minority's , not to mention section 8 housing . Little incentive to get these lazy drug dealers off there asses , but loud pipes really must be on the top of the list . UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required