General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 11:30 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Unfrigginbeleivable!!! I say we torch the place....Ya Fer Me Or Again Me?

Old 12-12-2008 | 12:11 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master

mayors way to increase revenue, he claims the city is out of money

Old 12-12-2008 | 12:51 AM
deni
Tourer

Motorcycles are not as easily seen as cars, so noise is a way to notify people they are on the road. Like an ambulance siren, sometimes noise is a good thing.

Another thing, these selfrighteous over zealous bureaucrats gripe my ***. Let's see, they don't like something so they pass a law that conficates your private property. Meanwhile they're up to their eyeballs in political corruption, perjury, selling senate seats, coverups, lying, taking bribes, imposing taxes on us without our consent, income tax fraud, political favors, and so on...

Last edited by deni; 12-12-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2008 | 01:24 AM
learfxr
Tourer

Yet another reason I'll never move to either coast. I travel everywhere for work and lived in California for a little while when a teenager. I like to travel to places like New York and Cali for work, but would never live there. I can handle being there for a few days, that's about it.

I like to live close to the metro since that's where all the stores are, but I like living in the country. I spent 3 years working at Love Field in Dallas and driving 70 miles each way for work. People I work with think I'm nuts for driving that far, but it's worth it for me. I live outside city limits and out of Dallas and Tarrant counties.

Watch Parking Wars on TV. It's funny some of the stuff they pull on people. They have people on there that get a car towed and they run them through the ringer to get them back. A guy had a car towed for an invalid reason and a judge agreed and voided his tickets, the impound lot still hosed the guy for hundreds of dollars and gave them all kinds of crap to get the car back. Sure, most people are breaking laws and get what they have coming, but when a person gets hosed for no reason they still won't make it right.

Old 12-12-2008 | 03:46 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Wow! The decibel level limit in Japan is pretty liberal, then, at 94db. My bike exceeds that by 6 or so db, but if a cop doesn't have a decibel meter (usually the case) he can't fine you...

Would hate to live in a big city, like NY, LA...or Tokyo.

Old 12-12-2008 | 04:42 AM
HoggerCom
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder
Problem is not just with us "bikers" every step we take down this path, we loose some personal freedom and liberty. What is next?
Seizure of your house and land, if you use a weed whacker and lawnmower on a Saturday or Sunday.

By the way, if you think these lefty-liberal scare scenarios, including this pending legislation don't affect you because you live elsewhere, guess again.

If this passes, word will get around.. get around to other "annoyed citizens", politians, and every little town that you like to ride through from coast to coast.

Once a precedence is set, you better bet that cute town you and your riding buddies like to stop at for lunch on Sundays will consider passing similar laws.

If the noisiest, loudest, rudest city in the country can try to do something like this, those sleepy little towns that are annoyed by bikers are just chomping at the bit to see this passed.

We have some big problems coming in this country. Very big.

Originally Posted by RexBuck
I dislike riding in city traffic at the best of times. I can't see ever wanting to ride in NYC but if I am ever near there again with my bike, I will go out of my way to avoid it. Seems a pretty draconian penalty for a relatively minor infraction.
It is. It's insane.

Something to understand though... and I keep hearing it alot in this thread, and others. Some of us actually live and work here.

It's not like we're a group of weekend riders deciding to "go for a pleasure ride into the big New York City".

Many of the guys I know who live here, and are part of this cityscape, don't even own a car.

We ride motorcycles, well, because we're bikers. We ride by 'default'. Whether it's going to the store, going to work, picking up the girlfriend from work, visiting mom, meeting the bros, whatever. We live here, and we ride. It's not a "destination" that we chose to visit. And it's seldom a "pleasure" ride.

It's as natural for some of us to swing our leg over the bike in the morning, as it is for the yuppie in his BMW to double park outside of Starbucks.

In fact, many of us got into bikes originally to get through the traffic easier.

This is my home, this is where I HAVE to ride.

Originally Posted by Marrano
I am sick of our moronic politicians finding excuses to raise our taxes. Parking tickets and cigarettes are already some of the highest sources of revenue in New York City. Smokers here have to pay up to $9.50 for a pack of cigarette, and don’t let your parking meter run over one minute--it will cost you $100. Who’s going to regulate jackhammers, and the painful shrills of subway trains, and the roar of jetliners shaking up neighborhood roofs (which I can hear as I write this)? Next stop, restaurants will be fined for serving food with too much fat and salt. Please, give me a break…
You got that right. My biggest problem is finding myself a political "minority" in NY. The leftys have no idea what kind of damage they're doing, or enabling.

And the sneakiest ones get elected to office. Bloomberg originally ran on the republican ticket, whom I myself voted for. Wow.. what a mistake that was.

Can you imagine what's going to happen next???? With an incoming Obama, and a majority Democrat congress, and the entire northeast states governed by Dems, well guess what. People called for "change"???? Well... it's coming. It's really coming.

Last edited by HoggerCom; 12-12-2008 at 05:25 AM. Reason: added multiple quotes
Old 12-12-2008 | 07:36 AM
Rebel Jon
Intermediate

Yet another reason not to go to New York.

Old 12-12-2008 | 07:43 AM
WireDawg
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
EPA sticker? No problem...I have a SERT...load in the stock map, bolt on the stock mufflers...go get the sticker. Get home...load in the dyno map...put the SEII's back on......yes officer the EPA says they are fine.
Exactly why my stock pipes are on a shelf in my garage & I can remove my PCIII in about a minute............but it'll never come to that; of all the awesome places to ride in our great country, NYC IS NOT ON THE LIST.......$.02 WD

Old 12-12-2008 | 08:09 AM
Silver Ghost
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rebel Jon
Yet another reason not to go to New York.
This is not a New York problem, This is evey biker's problem. Politicians are lazy media hound's, If New York gets away with this, Other politicans will jump on the band wagon, And it could spread all over north america.

This is how they get away with crap, everybody say's it does'nt affect me, I don't live there, That's not my breed of dog, ect, ect... the next thing you know, you do live there, It is happening to you, and it too late to stop the band wagon, you lose, they win.

Old 12-12-2008 | 08:18 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

Does any one know what "year" they started stamping pipes? Would any one please post a picture of what a stamp looks like?

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required