General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 07:58 PM
kbear
Road Captain

80db pretty low and quiet. 92 in Vancouver but they don't take the ride just hand out a healthy ticket and order you to change them out. What is a stock pipe at?

Old 12-11-2008 | 08:08 PM
Pop Pop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Big Sled
If a bike gets seized for pipes... there just might be a wee bit of a Consitutional issue to be raised if you asked the judge how many cars and trucks are being towed in his/her jurisdiction due to mufflers.

Resurrecting an idea about how wacky this country has become and how much worse it is absolutely going to get: Let's all pitch in some coin and buy Idaho and rename it Freestate and return to the old values, freedoms and laws.
Idea has merit, but let's pick a warmer one?!

Old 12-11-2008 | 09:06 PM
HoggerCom
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
No they are not new. They were actually put into place in the 80's, to put drug kingpins outta biz. And everyone thought it was a grand idea, put them bastuds outta biz. (Worked, huh?) Then they just slowly revised it to take cars during stops. Then to property of ppl in the stops.
They confiscate it, then sell it and the $$ is distributed to the different LEAgencies, and city, as they see fit. Sorta the fox guarding the henhouse. There is a rather healthy incentive, to confiscate property. They confiscate it, and keep the money. That's a tough one to figure out.
Guess some hit it correct, CASH COW.
When will it stop? When YOU stop it. Not a day before.
Frankly, I don't put these type of crimes anywhere near the same level as what we're talking about.

Non-factory pipes (which I estimate over 90% of the readers here are guilty of) is barely a 'nuisance' infraction.

Felony drug trafficking probably involves less than 1% of the readership here, or even on the entire internet as a whole.

Putting them on the same level regarding SEIZURE OF PROPERTY, is absolutely insane.

Old 12-11-2008 | 09:09 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm glad i left that liberal state years ago! Loud pipes are NYC biggest problem. HA

Old 12-11-2008 | 09:16 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kbear
80db pretty low and quiet. 92 in Vancouver but they don't take the ride just hand out a healthy ticket and order you to change them out. What is a stock pipe at?
92? Really. Guess I would've done fine up there with my Rush 1.75s. I actually put the stocks back on for the trip because I was worried about the mounties.

Since the HD SE slipons which are a bit louder then stock are street legal they must be 80db or lower. Just a guess but I'd say the stock pipes are running about 78. Certainly less than 80db.

This noise enforsement BS gets too prevalent I suppose I'll have to be happy with the SEs.

Old 12-11-2008 | 09:19 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned

Originally Posted by simpkinst
I think this is great.

It is wonderful that a city so large has resolved all their major problems, like crime, durgs, corrption, etc., and now has time to deal with the little things.

NY must be a great city/State to live in.

Right on Brother!

Don't see any mention of cars or trucks. Why is the biker always getting f&*Ked?!?!?!

My snow blower makes more noise then most bikes.

Bunch of bullsh1t!

Old 12-11-2008 | 09:35 PM
eleutheros
Road Master

Yeah I thought loud pipes would rarely if ever save lives either, and it was just an excuse.
I've never had them before, but always wanted them just because I've always loved the Harley sound.
Last year V&H came with my used Ultra, and I love hearing my bike at any speed, and in any situation.
Most of all they've saved me many times it's a fact. Twice when deer in the road ran away quick when I came around the corner. I hardly had to brake at all. Yes, they were in FRONT of me and heard me, in spite of people saying pipes are only loud in the back.
Also far more cars DON'T pull out in front of me because they hear me coming, AND far fewer cars pull over into the lane I'm occupying.
I read this whole string, and nobody is saying what we need: letters, support, signatures, protests, elect a biker. That's how all these stupid things happen. Like the Denver jerk in his BMW getting his way because he doesn't like our lifestyle.
Tolerance is lost. I can tolerate the loud stereo for a few seconds, and the high headlights, and the horn, and the cell phone (if they're trained to use them while driving).

Old 12-11-2008 | 09:46 PM
RexBuck
Road Master

I dislike riding in city traffic at the best of times. I can't see ever wanting to ride in NYC but if I am ever near there again with my bike, I will go out of my way to avoid it. Seems a pretty draconian penalty for a relatively minor infraction.

Old 12-11-2008 | 10:16 PM
Rolling Thunder
Advanced

Problem is not just with us "bikers" every step we take down this path, we loose some personal freedom and liberty. What is next?

Old 12-11-2008 | 10:18 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer

As long as I have to listen to Hillary, they can listen to my pipes.

Quick Reply: NYC to begin seizing loud bikes - EPA stickers soon required