General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skid lid... Vs...no helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:52 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi vgreno, from Colorado. Thats exactly why I choose not to wear one. Keep up the posting, I wish my Spanish was as good as your English.
Ride safe......

Old 12-24-2008, 04:24 PM
staedtler
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow!....page 13, 121 replies...122 that is

Old 12-24-2008, 05:59 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Helmet No Helmet

Let those that ride decide.......

Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by crissguinn
adding weight (i.e. a 4lb helmet) to your neck WILL increase your potential for cervical spinal injury which is where you become paralyzed.
I am curious about something. Did you ever see a motorcycle race? Everybody has crashed at some time in their racing career. Even the pros crash occasionally. If not during a race, then while they are practicing. And we all crashed as we were gaining experience. I have known racers that became paralyzed after an accident, but that ended their racing careers.

If the weight of a helmet was a significant factor in a "cervical spinal injury which is where you become paralyzed" was really happening there would be no professional motorcycle racers. They would have all been paralyzed long before they turned pro.

I don't care if anyone wears a helmet or not. But it would be nice if people didn't post 'junk science' in an attempt to justify their desire to influence people's choice. A helmet may, or may not, increase your potential for a cervical spinal injury. But even if it does, the increased potential seems to be such an insignificant factor as to not even merit consideration.

No don't consider such reasons as paralysis which is a long shot, or even death which doesn't matter to the rider because he/she will be dead. Worry about a head injury which can alter your life, in ways some of which are too horrible to imagine. Wearing a helmet should be a matter of personal choice. But remember that the reasons people don't want to wear a helmet are only meaningful during the time they are actually wearing a helmet.

The effects of a head injury are with you 24/7 for the rest of your life.

Ron

Old 01-19-2009, 08:01 AM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it interesting that the American Motorcycle Association opposes mandatory helmet laws, while at the same time requireing that participants in AMA sanctioned events wear helmets and other protective gear.

Why do they make rules that conflict with their own political stance? Because they know that helmets reduce the incidence of head and neck injuries, and that they could be held fiduciarily responsible for those occurences if they did not require the safety gear.

Thier hypocrisy is one of the reasons I will never join AMA, even though I think they do some good things.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rfranz1952
I find it interesting that the American Motorcycle Association opposes mandatory helmet laws, while at the same time requireing that participants in AMA sanctioned events wear helmets and other protective gear.

Why do they make rules that conflict with their own political stance? Because they know that helmets reduce the incidence of head and neck injuries, and that they could be held fiduciarily responsible for those occurences if they did not require the safety gear.

Thier hypocrisy is one of the reasons I will never join AMA, even though I think they do some good things.
This one is pretty easy. The AMA and other sanctioned sporting events require various safety gear not to protect the participant but rather, to protect their own butts from being sued and considering you can't wave your rights they're not taking a chance. As to them opposing mandatory helmets laws this again is easy as they know the motorcycle lobby would drop them like a brick if they ever promoted those laws as would people that pay them for membership and don't want to wear a helmet. It doesn't matter to me if somebody doesn't wear a helmet, this is their choice.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rfranz1952

My guess would be because 1) the law dictates what people need to wear helmets, 2) due to some sort of a regulation or condition of the event permit/license, 3) could be an insurance coverage thing, 4) to prevent any legal action against the event due to a injury caused by the failure of wearing a helmet or all of the above.

Hypocrisy may not be a factor necessarily ... They may just be simply covering their butts. They may still hold the position of not supporting helmet laws ... but they still have to abide like everybody else.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 01-19-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
My guess would be because 1) the law dictates what people need to wear helmets
Agreed but how far does this go when an event is held on private property?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crissguinn
I'm with you tinker1. I've worked EMS and Funeral business for 12 years and I've seen it. I don't give a damn what anyone says. If you want SKULL/BRAIN protection wear a helmet, but adding weight (i.e. a 4lb helmet) to your neck WILL increase your potential for cervical spinal injury which is where you become paralyzed. Every launch from a motorcycle is different so do whatever makes YOU comfortable!
Although you have a point ... "Each launch from a motorcycle is different".. NO QUESTION! Personally, I think the odds of a skull impact injury are higher than an neck injury...There's studies that will support both scenarios.

You also have to consider that typically, the skull is most often whiplashed against the hard surface of the pavement during a severe wipeout. Sooo, NOT wearing a helmet will ultimately 'increase your potential for' the skull to absorb impact which 'is where you become' dead ... or worse.

My choice to wear one ... is based on these odds....I can't say without a doubt that it will be to my benefit in an accident ... just that I believe my odds are better. A helmet will increase my odds of having less injury. That's why I choose to wear one.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 01-19-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Talk about hypocrisy.....

I find it interesting that the majority of deaths from automobile accidents (an annual rate that is much higher than those riding motorcycles) is caused by 'traumatic head injury'.

How many lives could be saved if drivers of automobiles wore a protective helmet during normal commutes, and not just when required such as when taking place in santioned racing events.

But apparently most law makers aren't that concerned about reducing head trauma related deaths involving automobile accidents, because in most jurisdications wearing a helmet isn't even optional, with 'reduced peripheral vision' being the reason.....

I guess 'reduced peripheral vision' is not a concern when riding a motorcycle, but only if you are driving a car or truck.

Makes you wonder....

Quick Reply: Skid lid... Vs...no helmet?