General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skid lid... Vs...no helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's funny, as in odd, that some people tend to not wear a helmet, or wear less than a FF helmet, when they are most likely to get into an accident (short, local, trips), and wear a FF when they are least likely to get into an accident (long trips, on the highway).

Old 12-11-2008, 12:22 AM
maskedstranger
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a DOT Carbon Fiber half helmet. That's all I wear, it is light and doesn't give me that Mushroom head look that you are talking about.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:46 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you dont crash, you dont need a helmet! or if you ride it like you stole it, a helmet might not help in every crash.
so just either ride really slow or really fast.

ferget helmets. if ya really want to "look the part" ya gotta get skid lid, or just go without. and no jacket either. just a vest at the most.

the last thing you wanna look like is a power ranger, or darth vader or something...

Old 12-11-2008, 01:26 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wear a DOT approved Skid Lid brand helmet. Before that a Z1R helmet. Like stated it is your choice. I choose to wear a light fitting DOT approved helmet.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dogtownmax
if you dont crash, you dont need a helmet! or if you ride it like you stole it, a helmet might not help in every crash.
so just either ride really slow or really fast.

ferget helmets. if ya really want to "look the part" ya gotta get skid lid, or just go without. and no jacket either. just a vest at the most.

the last thing you wanna look like is a power ranger, or darth vader or something...
I could care less what another rider does in terms of what they wear while riding however, the reasons they choose to do what they do never ceases to amaze me. If you really want to "look the part" or "if you don't crash, you don't need a helmet" are both pretty lame.

I ride one of two cruiser type bikes or my sport bike. The state does not require me to wear a helmet, gloves, boots, long pants or a motorcycle jacket but I do and solely because I have found a profound need for them at one time or another in the last 45 years of riding. One thing is a certain fact, I could care less what people think about how I look, riding isn't a fashion statement. If I don't crash I may still need all of my gear simply because that gear offers protection from a variety of things that would include but is not limited to bugs, rocks, wind burns or freezing my butt off at -4 degrees in the winter at 60mph or more. Fact is, none of it will do me any good if I don't have it on.

Skid lids or novelty helmets offer about as much protection as a baseball cap or no helmet at all.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:18 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

A good helmet may protect the top of your head from sunburn on a long ride. Of course a do-rag will do the same thing and is much more comfortable. IMO.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:18 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theonly differnce is open or closed casket.i have had friend's die with and without it's your life you choose.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know... $hit happens...

Charlie D.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all due respect, I'm glad we're not friends....

j/k

Originally Posted by ranger56528
FWIW...Ive had 5 friends killed on bikes....4 were wearing helmets and 1 wasnt..
2 died of internal injuries from chest impact with the bars...both wearing helmets..
1 died from a broken neck,his full face got caught in the mirror and broke his neck..Helmet killed him...
1 died from being broad sided at 50 mph from a gal that ran a light....No helmet would of helped him...
1 hit a Oak tree on a corner doing 45mph had a helmet but that was his own doing...

I carry a half lid(dot)in my bagger for the wife or if I ride into a must wear state other then that.....its your head and your choise....

Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a really hard time finding a DOT helmet that doesn't make my head pull back when I hit any speed over 40. If I wear my HD DOT, I end up with a stiff neck and a headache before the ride is over. So I end up not wearing it for the most part. I wear a novelty helmet. I DOES worry me though. Any tips for a DOT that is light-weight and doesn't catch the wind??

Quick Reply: Skid lid... Vs...no helmet?