General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skid lid... Vs...no helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mopardave
Right Chris, I wanna see what your head looks like with your DOT helmet on it after your head impacts a solid object, like a tree, at 15 mph......it might look better than without the helmet, but you will be just as dead.
Don't get me wrong, I wear a helmet, I just don't believe I am going to be saved from any high speed impacts to my head becasue of it. It will most definitely protect you from many lower speed impacts and glancing blows but a hard hit is gonna kill ya. The helmet can take far more than your brain. Helmet stops, brain splats inside your scull, scull is still intact, brain is jello.
Watch your *** out there, most drivers are not.
I agree with everything you say, high speed impacts will probably kill you with or with out a helmet, but I think you would agree that you have a better chance with the helmet on. Someone else already said, that most motorcycle accidents happen when a rider is going to fast for a turn, usualy a low side and a helmet can have a huge impact on safety in that concern, second would be cars turning left infront of you at an intersection. Well most intersections are 45mph or less, and then again i would say a helmet would help considerably in that situation too. So for the number 1 and 2 motorcycle accident causes, I would say a helmet would help out a lot.

Your description of how a brain injury is right on, the brain impacts the skull and causes bruising and bleeding. The idea of a helmet is to slow down the rate of deceleration of the brain by using a shock absorbing material like EPS (expanded polystyrie). Much like the idea of crumple zones on a car, if you can slow down the force of an impact and exert that force over a larger area, the potential for damage is greatly reduced.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:13 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by coltsfan
I have went down twice, my fault both times, both times with out helmets. once it didn't matter and the other time I landed head first on the grass median. It rang my bell but I do wonder if a helmet would have broke my neck.
No, a helmet would not have 'broke' your neck. You might break your neck after slipping in the shower, tripping on a curb, falling out of bed, etc.. But a helmet would not increase the risk of a broken neck.

If it did, motorcycle racers would all have experienced broken necks at times during their lives. We all, even the 'hotshoe' pros, have crashed while racing or practicing.

If someone doesn't want to wear a helmet, fine. Just don't base your choice on nonsense such as broken necks, impaired vision, too uncomfortable, or any of the other foolish reasons some people claim as justification.

Nobody, except possibly your family or friends, cares if you die or suffer a serious head injury. It's your choice. But even if you truly believe the reasons that some people give, remember they are only valid for the time you are actually wearing a helmet.

Death however, is a full time permanent thing. Even worse IMO is a head injury that leaves you unable to totally take care of yourself. It is bad enough if the government has to allocate resources to provide for your care. But do you really want a loved one to spend years feeding or bathing you? And possibly wiping drool off your chin and changing your diapers?

Ron

Old 01-20-2009, 03:37 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The last hit we took was more than enough to talk me into wearing a helmet all the time. It is DOT approved and I plan on wearing one whenever I ride. Staples in any part of your body sucks! I had a total of 52 between my leg, chest and head...along with 9 screws and a plate.........I won't even get into what my wife is still dealing with.
For the record, my head injury was the least of my worries....5 ribs, both legs, massive internal bleeding...no more spleen, surgery to repair right leg.....
Sorry if I get grouchy...it's hard to say what you feel without sounding harsh when saying it with a keyboard. A picture is worth a thousand words....
Dave

Old 10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Sonikmac
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Live a little.

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
The point is this. As long as there are helmet threads , there's going to be people on here tying to make excuses as to why they don't wear good protection. All in the name of being "COOL"or it's my right. I've seen the accidents first hand. Lot's of accidents. Lot's of fatalities. It's not pretty. Im here to tell you Full face helmets do work. So does safety gear and leathers. People talk crap all the time , but those same people are the ones on the ground crying mama when it happens to them. The bottom line is, it's your choice. But im shocked at how inconsiderate riders are of their family's feelings. How can you call that love. Man with a family here went to a local bar drinking and went outside and got on his bike and decided to show off a bit. He landed across the street wrapped around a tree and no helmet. The impact killed him. Head injury. I could go on for hours of all the accidents I've seen where people didn't wear helmets. The worst was the man in Panama. He was going no faster then 20mph yet when he hit the back of his friends bike it threw him off and he hit head first. That was it for him, just that fast.
Now let's go into the people who didn't wear protection and spent their last dime and mortgaged their home to pay for new teeth skin graphs and rehab. It don't take but an extra minute to put on safety equipment. What's your face worth ? Seriously !
I am not an old timer, but I have logged many a mile on the back of a bike. Fourth generation biker. I have used probably every type of helmet, leathers, gloves out there at times. Ridden through all kinds of weather, rain, snow, black ice. I have gone down a couple times (at slow speeds) on the road, and more than a few times on dirt. Don't really know why i feel I have to qualify myself here, just sayin.

When you are riding, going down should be the last thing on your mind. If wearing a helmet helps your nerves, then wear a helmet. Wear a body suit, wear a tu-tu, whatever makes you comfortable in your own skin. This idea that helmets, or any safety gear saves lives is ridiculous. Safety gear helps mitigate some risk, thats all. People die, its what we do. Blaming or attributing life/death to a piece of clothing is for women and politicians to debate. 100% of all motorcycle deaths could be stopped if we all quit riding bikes. If you choose to take the risk of riding, then own it. My gramma used to say, "there are only two types of riders..."

Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonikmac
When you are riding, going down should be the last thing on your mind. If wearing a helmet helps your nerves, then wear a helmet. Wear a body suit, wear a tu-tu, whatever makes you comfortable in your own skin. This idea that helmets, or any safety gear saves lives is ridiculous. Safety gear helps mitigate some risk, thats all. People die, its what we do. Blaming or attributing life/death to a piece of clothing is for women and politicians to debate. 100% of all motorcycle deaths could be stopped if we all quit riding bikes. If you choose to take the risk of riding, then own it. My gramma used to say, "there are only two types of riders..."

Couldn't say it better. You people do what you want and preach and whine less.