General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard start or Not ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006 | 04:16 AM
Johnny B Good
|
Cruiser
Default Hard start or Not ?

Maybe I can find a answer out of this. Last year when I bought my bike, It was delivered to my house on trailer. When went to start it, it would turn over very slow. I charged the batt. and had no problems all summer. Now this spring after using battery tender all winter the batt was dead. Now I buy a new batt. and the bike seems to start every time and only has to turn over once or twice but it seems to turn over with some effort and I wonder what would happen if it didn't fire right away. While riding the amp Gage stays around 14amps. So, What does everybody else's amp Gage read ? Does your bike turn over real fast or kinda stiff ? I don't like the idea of having to put a batt. tender on during the summer. That makes me feel very uncomfortable when I'm out on the road and stop somewhere. "When I get back on is it going to start". How many people carry a set of jumper cables with you ? Note: I also placed this question in a related postBy 87lowrider.

Old 04-10-2006 | 12:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Hard start or Not ?

My bike fires up with one touch of the button.....vavoom no problem. I don't use the battery tender and my battery stays charged for a long time. If I haven't started the bike for a month I'll put the tender on for maybe an hour the remove it and start the bike up. I don't like leaving a tender on it because I know too many guys who have fried their battery with them. But it sounds like you may have an issue where current is bleeding off your battery while the bike is sitting.(voltage regulator?) I would check that. Also consider the fact depending on how many accessories you have you may be using too many accessories for the capacity of the charging system. A new battery should stay hot for a long time.

Old 04-10-2006 | 01:08 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior

My bike is a 2000 with original battery. It starts so fast it scares you. Never really hear the starter. BANG! its running. I charge it from time to time over the winter, but never in summer.

Old 04-10-2006 | 01:43 PM
PWHOG
Road Master

The ammeter should not show a constant 14 amps shortly after starting the bike with a good battery. It sounds that the voltage regulator has gone and its cooking your battery. Have you checked the charging voltage this should be around 14.2 volts and the zener diode will clip the volts off over this to stop over voltage ruining the battery as well.

Get the Regulator checked as you will ruin every battery you fit if its faulty

Old 04-11-2006 | 03:08 AM
Johnny B Good
|
Cruiser

PWHOG, I gave the wrong info as far as "amp meter" . it is the "volt meter" that shows 14, 14.2 volts while riding. The bike does start quick and I haven't had a chance to compare with anyone ealse. the worst part is going to a dealer and asking to have things checked. That's a good sign for them to stick 'ya with a big bill and say "Oh guess that was not the problem ".
Of course electrical parts can't be returned after you install them.
Maybe I won't have any problems. Just wanted to compare notes with everyone ealse on the forum.

Old 04-11-2006 | 01:41 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior

My RK starts as soon as I push the button. Sounds like a mini-explosion. I have never had the need for jumper cables. If mine gets to that point it's battery/voltage regulator/ starter time.[&:]

Old 04-11-2006 | 08:07 PM
Norskie
Advanced

Do you know how old the battery was when you got the bike. Maybe it died of old age. When you say you had a "battery tender" on it all winter do you mean a "battery tender" or a "battery charger"? If you had a battery charger on it all winter the battery could have been overcharged and cooked. If it was a "battery tender" that has a floating charge, that is good for the battery. Have you checked your connections to make sure they are all clean and not corroded? Your charging voltage of 14.2 is good.

Old 04-12-2006 | 02:09 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

fuel injected bikes usually turns over 2 or 3 revolutions before starting, mine always did, but since i changed to a carb it lights off on the first hit of the button.