General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Fletch19
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Riding?

I would like to know if anyone has experienced any prolonged muscle pain in their shoulders or arms during the winter months of riding. Just recently I am having this problem and would like to know if it may be from riding. If so I would like some recommendations on curing this problem. Naturally this would consider that I will continue riding in the winter months.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:49 AM
retiznapuerco
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, the only pain I am feeling right now, is from shovelling snow of my driveway...

Old 12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope sorry haven't had this. You're sure you didn't just strain something and didn't realize it? Or a pinched nerve maybe? Otherwise I have no idea why you'd develope this all of a sudden. Don't see how winter could make any difference I guess.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Here in northern Illinois you don't ride in the winter. Too must snow, ice and salt on the roads. Stretching before and after a winter ride might help loosen you up.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:47 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by retiznapuerco
Nah, the only pain I am feeling right now, is from shovelling snow of my driveway...
+1..
Got lucky Mama and the kids did it before I got home yesterday..

Old 12-10-2008, 12:52 PM
retiznapuerco
Tourer

How did you manage that trick.....the kids were downstairs waiting for me to finish the driveway, so I could drop themat the Mall later.....

Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Grind
Road Master

You might be clenching your shoulders while you ride. A little cold, and you pull your shoulders in tight to fight the chill and you end up with sore muscles. Next time you're out riding, after the first mile or so, intentionally relax your shoulders and let them drop. I find myself having to that once in a while, or I come home with sore shoulders.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
davhas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Grind
You might be clenching your shoulders while you ride. A little cold, and you pull your shoulders in tight to fight the chill and you end up with sore muscles. Next time you're out riding, after the first mile or so, intentionally relax your shoulders and let them drop. I find myself having to that once in a while, or I come home with sore shoulders.
This was the suggestion I was going to make. Sometimes I find myself clenched up and right at the point of my shoulderblades seem to be sore as hell.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 PM
wideload
Novice

Just too damn cold to be ridin at this time of year round here. (Northeast New York) If all you can think of is how cold your hands are when your in the saddle, then its time to put the old girl away til April.
No one loves to ride like me, but its no fun in the cold

Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

During my college years I rode a '79 Triumph Bonneville with a kick starter. Cold starts were a bitch, especially in the winter. Looking back, it's a wonder I didn't pull a muscle. Electric start is the best thing that's ever happened to bikes.

Quick Reply: Winter Riding?