Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet law in Myrtle Beach next year

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM
johnsquicks10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell i don't ride in myrtle beach anyways. It's funny though the hd dealership is like 150' from the city limits and it seems the south end is the place to be. You can ride without stepping inside the city limits. there are still places to party, so come on down, don't let big brother spoil the fun..

Old 12-10-2008, 02:13 PM
NAMVET
Tourer

You can still have a good time there without going into MB.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM
davhas
Intermediate

Not sure how this works when the state law is helmets are not required. Probly a lawsuit out of this at some point, I would imagine that the city attorney thinks he can win it though. Glad mommy is still trying to protect me into my 40's

Old 12-10-2008, 02:40 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just read the article. 15 Rally Related Ordinances aimed at the May Rallies! Jeez! What IDIOTS!!!

Can't imagine any city, particularly in these difficult economic times, trying to drive away 500,000 warm bodies who are eager to spend their hard earned cash in their fair city. Simple math, just say each biker spends a mere $10 all weekend. (a ridiculously low figure) That's $5 Million Dollars! Reading the article, it's clear MB is in need of revenue. The city's "fiscally troubled" Humane Society; assessing the downtown property owners to help cover costs associated with re-development; Considering increased property taxes to help pay for a new Boardwalk. Guess the money from the lodging and sales tax from the Rallies isn't that big of a deal.

I hope the Bikers stay away from the town of MB, and if they DO go... they only spend their Money in North Myrtle Beach, a city who welcomes the Bikers and is smart enough to see the economic benefit stemming from the Rallys.

Rant over!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:44 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have to go to MB. Screw them. Like the other post stated --there are places outside of city limits to have fun. I just will spend my time before I go understanding where MB starts and stops.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:16 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A biker who insists on going to MB with their current anti biker environment, reminds me of a guy who'll keep putting his tail between his legs and chasing a woman who's kicked him to the curb...the love is gone, man up and go someplace where someone is glad to see you and shows you some respect...just IMO, you understand...

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 12-10-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Cakalac
Tourer

I think we're gonna go and just stay out of Myrtle Beach city limits. This will be our first harley rally trip on the new machine so we are looking forward to it. We only have to ride 2 hrs. to get there so that is not a far trip for our first rally. If we don't like it then we can come back.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:53 PM
EVO80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davhas
Not sure how this works when the state law is helmets are not required.
They are getting around the law by issuing an "administrative infraction" rather than a citation to the folks without helmets. The city of MB says it's only an administrative infraction meant to improve the safety of people living in the city. Therefore, they say there's no conflict with state law.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 852 Likes on 295 Posts

Whatever there vision is for their City and their citation taxes.... I want no part of them.
A real nice example of Government gone wild!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by EVO80
They are getting around the law by issuing an "administrative infraction" rather than a citation to the folks without helmets. The city of MB says it's only an administrative infraction meant to improve the safety of people living in the city. Therefore, they say there's no conflict with state law.
I don't know the legalese, but I thought that typically a state could enact stricter laws than federal statutes, a county could enact stricter laws than the state, and (by extension) a city could enact ... etc. IOW, they cannot lessen the requirements, but can impose more strict ones.

Of course -- and thankfully -- I'm not a lawyer, so I might be wrong...

Quick Reply: Helmet law in Myrtle Beach next year