General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost ideas.....Anyone have tank dent repair and paint done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cost ideas.....Anyone have tank dent repair and paint done?

I have an 06 Super Glide and hate the decal under the clearcoat. I short-term remedied this by covering the decal with Street Bob emblems, but want to do something else. I have just purchased a tank with slight damage with the idea of having it painted solid Vivid Black to match the rest of my tins. I can then put on any emblems I want.

My question is, what is it going to cost to repair the dent and get a good paint job on it? Anyone out there had something similar done or do paint work who can give me an idea?

Thanks in advance.

John

Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That might be able to be pulled out with one of those dent puller suction cup things, if there's no crease, but I can't really tell from the picture...There's places that can do this all over the US & other countries......http://www.dentwiz.com/ Not sure of the exact cost of it though, but I don't think it was that expensive on the commercials I've seen. And then you can have anyone paint it. Schumacher, a Mod on this forum, may get all his tins painted for ~$500. Paint $$$ all depends on type of paint used & the person's quality/reputation doing the paint job.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

John,
You could knock a dent in it on the other side to match the one thats already there, and call it a custom tank. that way, its already relieved for those super tight turns...

seriously, try one of those do it yourself paintless dent removal systems. I dont know if it will pull it due to the location, but you can try.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM
fixxr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dent can be tapped out from the inside EZ the decal must be removed(it' under the clear coat)Use a good primer with a catalist and paint .Black is the cheapest color.Add your decal and clear over everthing.If you want an emblem wait 24hr. to aply.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 PM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good PDR guy can push that out if he can get behind it. He'll need to use a little heat.

I had real lousy luck one day. I was hangin' with my bro in law in Colorado. I was riding a Roadstar at the time & thought I'd give it a wash. I was putting the hose away when I turned around to see the bike rolling off it's side stand. The good news is the plastic soap bucket broke it's fall. The bad was a lovely crease on the lower left side of the tank.

I found a local PDR guy that had tank experience. He had to weld up a buck to hold the tank steady. Since the tank has no left side fuel cap, he had to enter through the petcock hole. This guy was good & I also had to wait a few months while he chased hail down under but it was worth it.

That really was a nice looking tank before it got dented but when he finished, you couldn't tell it ever happened. Cost: $100 including the buck. end of story

Last edited by deni; 12-10-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:24 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the ideas.

I am wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper, and look just as good, to get the body shop to fill it when they have it for paint. Any disadvantage to having that little bit of filler on it? I want a good repair which will end up unnoticeable, but also want to keep it within reason.

Me trying to remove the dent is out of the question. I have tried minor repairs before, quickly turing them to major repairs.

John

Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

As your painter for advice. I bought one of those cheap DIY dent pullers to use on a similar dent. It is still noticeable in the sun, I didn't repaint it.
A little bit of filler can be used to smooth out imperfections, but I wouldn't fill that dent.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:43 AM
corcon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend dropped the tank on hiss 2006 1200 sporty.Big dent on the corner.He had a local guy fix the dent,repaint the tank and stock pinstriping for $375.Looks like new.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That dent is way too deep for just filler, it would have to be banged out IMO.

The dent below I think can be filled, Im going to find out what it would cost me to have this tank repaired and pained vivid black today while getting a price on fixing my girlfriend's car I backed into the other day.

Attached Thumbnails Cost ideas.....Anyone have tank dent repair and paint done?-pict0006.jpg