Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Wireline King
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Suggestions

Hi, Folks!

I don't post much, I am more of a "listen and learn" kind of guy, and man have I learned a lot from the folks on this forum! Here's the reason for this post:

Back in 1964 my dad met his best friend when they were 15 years old. They were inseperable; my dad even married this guys sister (my mom). They rode motorcycles for years, both had custom choppers, they worked on cars, hung out, you know, what best friends do. Although they quit riding as their lives unfolded.Well, on November 18th, they were working on my dad's classic truck until about 7 pm, my dad's friend went home and later that night had a heart attack and died. Man, I have never seen my dad take anything so hard; not even the death of my little brother, and he took that really hard.

Well, since I got my Deluxe last August, I have been trying to get my dad to get back on two wheels, with no luck. A couple months ago we planned on spending Christmas in Vegas, my dad and I, quality time, and such, which in light of recent events turned out to be a good idea. So last night my dad calls and asked if I had decided to rent a Harley while in Vegas or not; and I told him no, I want to spend time with you.

Get this: he took a riders course last week and got his license yesterday! We already reserved a couple bikes! This is going to make the whole trip for me!

I suppose I have rattled on long enough; here is my question:

I need to know of a good, scenic day ride out and back from Vegas. We will plan on taking lots of breaks. I was thinking Valley of Fire, but I know nothing of the area, roads or distances, gas stations, etc.

I sure thank you in advance for any help!
Randy

Last edited by Wireline King; 12-09-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 AM
FUQUA
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know nothing about Vegas first of all....sorry. But i was inspired by the story, thanks for the post. I hope you get the info you were looking for.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master

I'm going to Vegas in January on a Fly & Ride. My friend and I are renting from Henderson HD and they have a page on their Web Site with routes and mileage:

http://www.hendersonhd.com/custompag...pg=sightseeing

Let us know how it went when you come back. Have a great time with your dad. He's turning his grief into something meaningful for him and for you.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 AM
1200babe
Tourer
Default Vegas

Congratulations to both you and your dad for making this journey together. Enjoy the time you will spend together and making great memories. Remember though that the bikes you will rent are much heavier and more powerful than what he used to ride many moons ago and that he is older, slower to react and not as strong as he once was. Don't over do the ride distance or turn the day into an endurance event as that will lessen the pleasure for both of you. Valley of Fire is a good ride, also a ride out to the dam and taking the tour is an interesting experience. When you pick up the bikes they will have maps etc, available for you.Ps Don't forget a camera to capture the scenery and be sure to get pics of the 2 of you on and around the bikes for future memories.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, it don't git no betta than that. Whatta trip!!!!

My Dad rode in the 30's and 40's. Got him on the Ultra once, B4 he passed away. We had a ball. (He'd ride on the Ultra, it had 'floorboards', so IT qualified as a 'motorsickle' to him )

If you look under the motor of the chop, you'll see a rather LARGE ride bell. (Mini cowbell). Dad gave that to me when I came back from the service in 77. And everytime the pan rolls down the road, he's along, and I know he's smilin' all the way.

Hope you two have a good ride, plenty of miles AND smiles. Post a pic of the 'grins' when ya git back.
Guess he has a 'bucket list' of his own, huh?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Wireline King
Intermediate

Thanks, all!

I am planning on taking it real slow, as it's been probably 30 years since he's ridden, and besides, it's all about precious time spent with my dad. One never knows how much time one has, and I plan on making the most of it.

Thanks again!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM
pooh6369
Advanced

Ride out to Overton awesome ride great view 1 1/2 ride to get there from Lake Mead state park. Nice little 1/2 day trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer

Great post Wireline! Enjoy your trip!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is an idea for a ride that you guys can take:
head to the Hoover damn, since its like right next door, then head back towards Vegas and take the rt 95 south through Boulder city all the way to the I40, hop on the I40 and follow it to Topock, where you can catch the rt 95 going north which will take you up to the old original route 66, take that east, to Kingman. Here you have the choice of taking the 93 back to vegas or you can keep going along rt 66 all the way to Seligman, where you can catch the I40 to Flagstaff.
From flagstaff you have the choice of either heading south to Sedona on rt 89a, then on to Prescott, where you can catch rt 96 and 97 west to rt 93 and return to Vegas. Or head north out of Flagstaff on rt 180, which will lead you past a farm with WHITE buffalos and then on to the grand canyon. And then head back to Vegas.

Vegas - Hoover - rt 66 loop: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...9,2.460937&z=9

or here is a loop north towards the bryce and zion canyons, a little long for 1 day, but this was more to bive you an idea where they are.http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...4&ie=UTF8&z=11

also somewhere along the colorado river south of hoover is the London Bridge if you want to see a millionaires waste of money and purchase of the wrong bridge from england. Just can't remember where exactly it is

Old 12-09-2008, 01:51 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

just a thought - any way you can get him out on a ride before you go so that he would feel comfortable right when you gets there. if it has been awhile then the bikes will be heavier than back in the day. like he could rent one before you leave and do some of the practice stuff instead of getting going immediately.

and i obviously don't know you or your dad or the situation, but there is that chance that your dad would not want to admit that he is older and so would attempt to keep up with you and would not want to hold you back.......................

in other words, let him review while at home

the death of a lifelong friend can bring about lots of weird emotions and thoughts. your dad might be questioning his own mortality or something like that and suddenly realize that he has to grab what life he has left. your dad is heading up towards 60, a couple of years ahead of me, and it can be this time in life when you realize there is more time behind you than ahead and it feels weird, and some 'life' event brings those thoughts squeeching to the foreground.

anyway, awesome situation for you and him, really glad you are able to do this together, cherish it

Quick Reply: Ride Suggestions