General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D. An American Original "Made in China"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:04 PM
tennmoto
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation no critical parts please

I hope that HD does not use China to make parts for the motorcycles. No Chinese bearings please. My experience with tools,appliances, light fixtures,and fasteners shows me that Chinese manufactures CAN'T be trusted. Do you want some baby milk?
Most of the cast parts and other parts have been made for years,here, so they can be made cheap enough. Its when management and stockholders get greedy and send the tooling to China(hurl), that the quality and our product looses its appeal. If I find out that Chinese parts are used on my HD I will buy British,Italian,or something else.
Hear that HD!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rockerheadsteve
I ordered my Offroad F150 in march of 01, took delivery in may of 01 120,000 miles, replaced brakes once, probably due again, replaced the battery last winter. Looks and runs like a brand new one. Same with the explorer. My friends dad's 91 lincoln has over 400,000 miles and the heads have never been off. So screw your lexus with the cheap looking common forein interior, I wouldn't take 5 forein pieces of junk for my ford. Oh yah, they just now figured out how to make them not rust out as fast. And none of them meet the Built Ford Tough standard.

Well...you are talking about a 1991. Try a new one and see what happens. Huge difference. My brother has a 1995 Suburban with 280,000 miles on it and it runs fine. But my 2006 didn't make it to 24,000 without piston slap and the ADW front diff crapping out at 44,000. Believe me pal if you spent $44,000 on a truck and that happened you would be bitching as well. And my Lexus interior is better than any product Ford has ever made...go look at one.

By the way is the Built Ford Tough standard any different from the Fix Or Repair Daily standard?

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 12-03-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by mp
So what's your point? Anyone who's bought a chinese product knows they are vastly inferior.
You have Chinese products all over your home, inside ALL of your appliances, inside your car or truck. You just don't know it.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
intempestivus
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face jackass

Originally Posted by dh2683
(" I'd prefer they be American made but I refuse to spend my money on inferior products that cost twice as much just to support some union flunkie who makes $70/hr. and spends most of his day bitching about how the man is keeping him down, and then asking for a taxpayer bailout on top of it.")

This Union Flunkie has never made 70/hr. as A IBEW Union Electrician. I have made a wage that has allowed me to live well & send my kids to college. I guess us union flunkies who went to school for 5 years & served a 5 year apprenticship are not entitled to that but I am sure you are. You really should not generalize. It makes you look like a jackass.
You are right my friend, that's an unfair generalization of all unions. My experience is with airline and auto unions who, when everything is added up (benefits), easily make $70+ an hour. On top of that, they don't work apprenticeships (A&P mechanics have extensive schooling but not typically through the union which means they pay for it themselves). I have some good friends in the IBEW and I happen to know that particular union has figured out how to compete effectively in a market economy, but unfortunately they are the exception and not the rule. And by the way, the IBEW is a service union, hmmm. Anyway, I'll refine the generalization but I'm still a jackass, just ask my wife.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

This Union Flunkie has never made 70/hr. as A IBEW Union Electrician. I have made a wage that has allowed me to live well & send my kids to college. I guess us union flunkies who went to school for 5 years & served a 5 year apprenticship are not entitled to that but I am sure you are. You really should not generalize. It makes you look like a jackass.

Unions are nothing more that organized criminals extorting exhorbitant wages & benefits out of legitimate corporations and the general public. Their helpful purpose has long expired in the US economy. They should be banned and their members required to negotiate their own wages which they would do but would find their market worth about 60% of what they are extorting right now. Unions have ruined the US economy, manufacturing base, and middle class. My Mexican made Chevy 2002 Suburban was far better than my 2006 UAW made one.. I look for the Union label...then run when I see it.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know who said this so I can't give him credit but quote, "Show me a company with a union and I'll show you a company in decline ... " Everyone has a computer DUH! You are reading this! Just do a search using different search engines and enjoy reading about the decline in US manufacturing.

Last edited by FXSTDSE2; 12-03-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Well...you are talking about a 1991. Try a new one and see what happens. Huge difference. My brother has a 1995 Suburban with 280,000 miles on it and it runs fine. But my 2006 didn't make it to 24,000 without piston slap and the ADW front diff crapping out at 44,000. Believe me pal if you spent $44,000 on a truck and that happened you would be bitching as well. And my Lexus interior is better than any product Ford has ever made...go look at one.

By the way is the Built Ford Tough standard any different from the Fix Or Repair Daily standard?
Ya, First On Race Day.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tennmoto
I hope that HD does not use China to make parts for the motorcycles. No Chinese bearings please. My experience with tools,appliances, light fixtures,and fasteners shows me that Chinese manufactures CAN'T be trusted. Do you want some baby milk?
Most of the cast parts and other parts have been made for years,here, so they can be made cheap enough. Its when management and stockholders get greedy and send the tooling to China(hurl), that the quality and our product looses its appeal. If I find out that Chinese parts are used on my HD I will buy British,Italian,or something else.
Hear that HD!
Two things: First, Chinese bearings would be a vast improvement over the crap they've used since '03. Second, I think you'll like what Triumph, Ducati and Aprilla are offering. Ray

Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
dh2683
Supporter

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Unions are nothing more that organized criminals extorting exhorbitant wages & benefits out of legitimate corporations and the general public. Their helpful purpose has long expired in the US economy. They should be banned and their members required to negotiate their own wages which they would do but would find their market worth about 60% of what they are extorting right now. Unions have ruined the US economy, manufacturing base, and middle class. My Mexican made Chevy 2002 Suburban was far better than my 2006 UAW made one.. I look for the Union label...then run when I see it.
I thought all HD Bikes had a Union Label on them.Hmmmm, confused again. I thought you "RAN FROM ALL UNION LABELS"

Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 PM
tano01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dh2683
I thought all HD Bikes had a Union Label on them.Hmmmm, confused again. I thought you "RAN FROM ALL UNION LABELS"
Just out of curiosity, where would that be at?

Quick Reply: H.D. An American Original "Made in China"