General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D. An American Original "Made in China"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I try to support American jobs. Profits don't mean crap to me, jobs do. Cars made in US plants from US-made parts mean lots of jobs. That's real money in the economy. Cars with a US name plate made in Mexico of Mexican-made parts aren't going to bought by me. I already bought 2 Chevy Luminas that had big "Made in Canada" stickers on them. It's good for our Canadian bretheren, but doesn't do much the guy down the street. The US cannot live forever on service jobs.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1+ scothen if we make nothing we will have nothing, kinda like the state we are in now.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rockerheadsteve
You cant find a better truck than Ford, Dodge, and as bad as I hate to say it chevy. And that's not opinion, thats fact
I have purchased 5 new Chrysler vehicles and 4 new GM vehicles in the last 21 years and 1 Toyota (Lexus) vehicle for my family. The only one to make it past 100,000 miles without a major driveline or chassis part failure was the Lexus which got traded for a Toyota at 151,000 miles with the entire factory drivetrain and chassis still going. 4 of the 5 Chryslers had transmission problems. 2 of the4 GM vehicles had piston slap engines. I did a tune up on the Lexus at 130,000 miles and had to replace the brake rotors at 125,000.

I now have ALL Toyota vehicles after watching my neighbor go through 3 F-150 trucks in 5 years. So your facts are not true.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
Profits don't mean crap to me,
You are Big 3 Executive or UAW management material my friend
because obviously profits don't mean crap to them either...of course their stock is under $10/share and they have one foot on Chapter11 and the other on a banana peel.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:00 AM
nolafishr
Banned

The Out Sourcing of America, Gotta Love it, Hardly anything is made in the USA anymore
except fot Toyata, Nissan and a few othe FOREIGN Names!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:44 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
I try to support American jobs. Profits don't mean crap to me, jobs do. Cars made in US plants from US-made parts mean lots of jobs. That's real money in the economy. Cars with a US name plate made in Mexico of Mexican-made parts aren't going to bought by me. I already bought 2 Chevy Luminas that had big "Made in Canada" stickers on them. It's good for our Canadian bretheren, but doesn't do much the guy down the street. The US cannot live forever on service jobs.
Buying those two cars that were made in Canada also put money in the pockets of the salesperson , the F&I person, the DMV person and countless others that may work at your American Chevrolet dealer. Here in Bowling Green we have the Corvette plant. If you go on the plant tour you will see a very large map that represents all the places parts and sub assemblies come from for that car. It covers 3 countries and like 5 states before everything meets up in Kentucky for final assembly.

I'm not too worried about the jobs of those UAW workers who have allowed their union to drive the big three to the point they (the big 3) have a problem in the first place. Toyota, Honda, Nissan and VW don't seem to have the problem but then again their workforce only averages roughly $95,000 as opposed to $145,000 in wages and benefits annually. The average UAW worker earns a base wage of $27.00 per hour or $56,160 annually and their relative benefits package is somewhere between dream land and impossible. Maybe that's why it costs the big 3 $2,000 per unit in benefits alone. I have nothing against unions but give me a break. The Master technician at your local Chevrolet dealer will be lucky to earn $20 per flat rate hour with nowhere near the same benefits.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:10 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkstar
I think if you went over there and breathed their air and drank their water you might become a tree hugger yourself. I with the libs on this. I like my air breathable, water drinkable and the fish I catch not to have two heads.
I hear what you are saying... but as the winds blow so do the toxins... but more to the point... we still drive our cars... run our a/c... consume more fosil fuel than any country...

So I figure we are the ones to blame for a big part of the pollution problem... tree huggers included...

Would you have a problem with a one headed fish with two bodies...

Charlie D.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 AM
cdale976
Road Master

whatever makes your boat float..... only thing i could find made in the usa at my dealership was a mudflap for the roadking.
bought it. other than bike i don't buy at the dealership for that reason....

Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Biker
Ford, Chrysler and GM's contributions after 9/11

An interesting commentary...You might find this of interest:

'CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's
contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and
Washington.

The findings are as follows.....
I think it was mentioned that this was discussed elsewhere once before...just out of curiosity though:

(disclaimer: I am not making light of what happened, it was aweful and I am not disputing the magnitude of what happened at 9/11)

I can understand that American companies are charitable in view of something happening in the USA, however I am not shocked by a long list of NON-USA companies not having donated anything. As mentioned they are NON-USA!
I can't say that the donate money in their own country...but my point is I do not expect them to donate something for something that did not happen in their country. I would find it great if they did, I would applaud them...but I do not expect them to do it.
I do expect it from USA companies though. Or I would expect Japanese companies to when something happens in Japan and so forth.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Cold Rider
Advanced

Lotsa union bashing. I gotta job fer ya; .05 cents a day... bring your own coal fer the stove!!

Quick Reply: H.D. An American Original "Made in China"