General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D. An American Original "Made in China"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MotoMediaFx
I rarely post, but read alot on this forum, the best HD forum on the net. Recently while working on a story for a magazine (sorry cant name it) I have been blown away and kept up many nights as the story falls into place. So without giving details, starting arguments, or blowing the lead in to the story I would like to just open some discussion on the topic. So please open up and tell it like it is, who knows you might even be quoted.

We are all well away that the majority of the HD apparel line is made in China, just read the tag inside your $500 jacket. But..........have you ever wondered, asked, or question what else is made in China? Now before we implode her I want to qualify a few things first.

1. If a product is made, but now assembled in another country it does not have to be labeled as made in " country ". This is often overlooked and many times hidden. For instance: If a billet mirror is made in china, shipped here without the glass, and then the glass is popped in........Made in America. Get the point.

So next time you have a minute at the dealership take a look around and open your eyes. Personally I would prefer the truth, just place it out there for everyone to see.

Now finally I would like to add that the examples above are just that, examples. This story is due out in March 2009, and I have retained final edit. So the bottom line is this will be published as written, and there will be no fluff to make the ad department happy. So here it is, I throw it to you guys and gals. Keep it real, and make it loud. Thanks, Todd

Common sense would lean toward where the thing was made, right. There have even been cases where the item was made elsewhere, and then just placed into a box (final assembly) and then labeled made in America.
And for you to title your thread, with out facts? Working for a mag? whats up with that. Ya'll suck, and I would not by your mag.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 PM
MilesJ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
I don't want to steal this thread, but I think what I have to say applies to this subject. People will make excuses all day long for buying foreign made products. The bottom line is, if we as Americans don't start buying American made products we are in big trouble as a country. Yes some of the parts on a Harley might be made in China or another foreign country. But, Harley Davidson is an American owned company. By suppurting them, we are supporting America. Yes Honda might have one assembly plant in the U.S., but where do the profits go?

What we should do is write letters to Harley Davidson, telling them if they would like us to keep buying their motorcycles then they should use all American made parts on their bikes, and also use American clothing suppliers for their apparel. If they get enough letters on the subject they will take notice.

The same goes for the big three automakers. How can you expect them to not have assembly plants in Mexico. It's the only way they can compete with the prices of Japanese and other foriegn made cars. Personally I wouldn;t mind paying a couple thousand dollars more for a car that I knew was manufactured in the U.S. Most people though will run to buy a toyota because they got a Camry for a thousand dollars less than what an Impala costs.

Just more food for thought.

Also, before someones says it. Yes, I'm sure a lot of the appliances in my home are foreign made. But, I plan on doing more to try to by American. I think everyone should. Just my 2 cents.
Yes Honda might have one assembly plant in the U.S., but where do the profits go?

As with any public company, it really depends on who owns the shares.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cages are a Honda and a VW. I have owned "American" cars, and they were crap. I owned a Honda bike and it was a great bike. I have had a Harley for a little over a year now and I hope "American" bikes are better than "American" cars.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Whatever

Originally Posted by motordrum
My 2 cages are a Honda and a VW. I have owned "American" cars, and they were crap. I owned a Honda bike and it was a great bike. I have had a Harley for a little over a year now and I hope "American" bikes are better than "American" cars.
!!!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default made in ???

I'm not sure if your question has been answered or just emotionally replied to. As far as labeling or country of origin, I saw a perfect example today about the country of origin labeling...I was looking at some Cleveland Golf wedges today at Dick's Sporting Goods and the label said head made in China, shaft made in China, assembled in USA. I don't know whether the government requires this "truth" or not but it seems to go along with the original point of the thread.
Originally Posted by MotoMediaFx
I rarely post, but read alot on this forum, the best HD forum on the net. Recently while working on a story for a magazine (sorry cant name it) I have been blown away and kept up many nights as the story falls into place. So without giving details, starting arguments, or blowing the lead in to the story I would like to just open some discussion on the topic. So please open up and tell it like it is, who knows you might even be quoted.

We are all well away that the majority of the HD apparel line is made in China, just read the tag inside your $500 jacket. But..........have you ever wondered, asked, or question what else is made in China? Now before we implode her I want to qualify a few things first.

1. If a product is made, but now assembled in another country it does not have to be labeled as made in " country ". This is often overlooked and many times hidden. For instance: If a billet mirror is made in china, shipped here without the glass, and then the glass is popped in........Made in America. Get the point.

So next time you have a minute at the dealership take a look around and open your eyes. Personally I would prefer the truth, just place it out there for everyone to see.

Now finally I would like to add that the examples above are just that, examples. This story is due out in March 2009, and I have retained final edit. So the bottom line is this will be published as written, and there will be no fluff to make the ad department happy. So here it is, I throw it to you guys and gals. Keep it real, and make it loud. Thanks, Todd

Common sense would lean toward where the thing was made, right. There have even been cases where the item was made elsewhere, and then just placed into a box (final assembly) and then labeled made in America.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by motordrum

You know I've owned quite a few "American" cars since I've been driving. I can't afford new, so usually they are several years old with high mileage when I get them. I've owned Chevy's mostly and a few Fords. None of them have been a piece of crap. I did own one foriegn car, an Acura Integra. It was also used and high mileage. Just like the American cars, I did have to work on it once in a while. Nothing lasts forever, and parts wear out.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Production costs are like water, and will always find its own level. If a country has lower costs to produce something, the bucks will naturally flow in that direction. There is not one single material in the world that doesn't require a process to make it into something we can use. Of course, there are by products as well. The smart manufacturer will find a way to recover their profits lost to by products.

I used to be a production scheduler for a lumber mill. We always knew that most of our profit resided in the product that didn't meet the standards. You can call it the cost of production, but it still represents dollars expended with no return. Our "downfall" was considered pure profit when sold, because the costs associated with the production were accounted for already.

You can argue about U.S. made products all day long, but the truth is we have a global economy. When our economiy hiccups, it is felt throughout the world. As long as we Americans have the edge of technology and marketing, we will lead the world in economic output.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

American cars are crap because of NAFTA, GATT, the EPA and the UAW. One of the best selling cars in Europe is the Ford Fiesta diesel. It gets 60 miles per gallon but can't be sold in the U.S. because of the EPA. When the new CAFE standards kick in the Volkswagen Jetta TDI's will no longer be sold in Washington State. The TDI's get about 40 miles per gallon. Are you aware that there are more retired auto workers drawing pensions than actually work for the big three? Did you know that as part of their retirement package the UAW insisted that the retirees get fully paid health care for the rest of their lives. Are you also aware that Ford operates the most advanced auto manufacturing plant on earth but can not build one like it here because of the UAW? GM makes and sells a diesel car in Europe that gets 40 miles per gallon but it can not be sold here because of EPA rules. The best thing the big three automakers could do would be to file bankruptcy so they can renegotiate the UAW contracts and the retiree benefit packages. Then they should use the press to inform the citizens of our great nation about the autos that the Europeans, South Americans and the Asians drive that are more economical to drive and produce. These things will never happen because there are those in congress who would like to see America lose all of its manufacturing base and become a third world nation.

Last edited by Ghosty; 12-02-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

I'd love to buy American and would even pay more to do so. The problem is finding things that are manufactured here. If I want to buy an American made T-Shirt I'd spent the better half of a day to even find one I'd assume. The same goes for shoes or anything else we use on a daily basis.

I try and buy American names. Dodge truck, Harley motorcycle, but I know full well they aren't purely American made.

I still buy American made guns, but who knows if they are fully American anymore.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rockerheadsteve
Modern Forge in east Tn. makes a large portion of the parts for Harley. Fork supports, mirrors, swing arms, battery box's, all kinds of parts. I would guess that besides the tires(and probably made here) its all made in America. Sorry to bust you wish it had jap part wanna bees, bubble.
Ya mean like the Japanese Showa front forks or maybe the Nissin (Kogyo Co) brakes or how about the rear Showa shocks and those neat electric relays and sub assemblies? Nah, there's nothing foreign on a Harley......

Quick Reply: H.D. An American Original "Made in China"