General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metric or SAE

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Stinger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metric or SAE

I've been tinkering, adding a couple things and adjusting a few others on my new 2009 Fat Bob (first Harley).

Is is my imagination or are there both Metric AND SAE fastners / allens on this bike???

I swear sometimes a metric fits tighter and other times I have to use an SAE socket, wrench or allen.

I'm using Craftsman tools...

Is there a reference to the fastners sizes and types that would help me round out my tool collection? I want to have the right stuff without buying a bunch of tools I'll never use.

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both SAE and metric. I know brakes are metric on my bike and the odd accessory. Most of the rest is SAE.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Depends on how much wrenching that you want to do. Both metric and SAE, torx, allen, 12 point fasteners all around the machine. Get the right size torx like T-27 or you will strip heads right quick.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both and watch out for the #27 Torx, most folks try to use a #25.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 PM
jd533
Road Captain

thanks for the tip on the 27. I was wandering about that. I didnt try to make the 25 work cause it seemed way too loose. Good excuse to go to sears.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

You're correct, there are both. Metric particularly on brakes. Mostly SAE otherwise, but beware, those metrics are lurking in various areas. Like the battery.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 AM
nolafishr
Banned

I would get me a set of Torx and Hex Head Sockets for the Bike and keep a set of Wrenches
handy , I have a set of Box/Open End and Ratchet Wrenches!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for pointing this out, I always regard it as rude to mix on machinery and equipment we work with!! I will proceed with caution

Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Stinger
Advanced

Well, I'm glad it wasnt my imagination

Thanks for the replies guys. Good tip on the T27 vs. T25. Looks like I'll be rounding out BOTH metric and SAE bits and pieces in my tool box.

Seems odd to mix and match SAE & Metric. Must be determined by the supplier of the particular bits and pieces on the bike. Harley should require all their supplier to conform to one spec!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:32 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,282 Likes on 1,318 Posts

Don't you just hate it! I wish manufacturers would go either metric or English, not both. When I was racing dirt bikes years ago, you could fix pretty much the whole bike with about 3 metric wrenches. Very easy and straight forward. Cars used to be all English years ago. Now you need 2 complete sets of tools to do anything. Not only that, but Harley really likes those stupid Torx screws. Don't forget to pick up a set of Torx "safety" bits as well. My toolbox is busting at the seams.

The only measure of sanity is my trusty ironhead. All English, and it seems that I could rebuild the whole thing with little more than a 1/2" wrench and a phillips head screwdriver.

Quick Reply: Metric or SAE