General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:02 PM
hatrick4
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trip advice

anyone have any advice for how to pack for a week trip for the wife and i. with the 2 hard bags and backrest bag.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 PM
grimreaper169
Road Captain

The wife rolls all our clothes. I don't think that is all she rolls either.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:45 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

I only pack 3 days worth of clothing, long johns, flip flops, shaving kit (soap shampoo, toothpaste and brush cell phone charger and a brush for my hair) a couple extra long sleeve shirts, a towel and a hoodie if it gets really cold. That all fits in the left bag. The tool kit goes in the right. Leathers go in the tourpak. My girl wants to take everything in her wardrobe but I tell her if she wants to go, The rest of the right side is hers ONLY! She is practiced in what is and what isn't necessary. Don't forget the camera and a roll of tp! If I am on my own, I will sometimes pack or strap a small tent and a sleeping bag to the top of the bags. One of the things I have found useful is a list so you don't forget something stupid like socks! Laundry soap and stuff like that is usually in vending machines. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:05 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pack what you need
Pack a little extra of what you need
Don't pack what you think you might want because you won't use it
Keep in mind the maximum weight your bike can carry
Leave the rest

Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Wear and pack your oldest underwear and socks. Since you need new ones anyhow, buy them as a treat for the ride back. If you are not attending any fancy affairs.....
you can probably get a away with wearing your jeans two days in a row. Let them 'rest' a day, then wear them again. Two pair of jeans can go a week, EASY! You are going to buy a new t-shirt or two on the way....so why pack one? Share a tooth brush/deoderant/make up, etc.
The woman...? Give her one saddle and the backrest bag. Walmarts are everywhere nowadays. You forgot your moisturizer? Walgreens is on the corner. (next to the ABC liquer store).

Chuck

Old 11-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

We went for two weeks, Oregon to Disneyland & back. Packed like this:

1/2 tool kit in each saddlebag, heavy things like sneakers & toiletries as well, remainder of left side for me, right side for her.

Put the rain gear in a roll bag on the front of the bike.

Most of the clothes went in the luggage on top of the tour-pack, and we reserved the tour-pack for easy access items, like for leathers, the bike lock, snacks, et cetera...

The tent was strapped to the luggage, and sleeping bags strapped to the saddlebags.

Small items went into the pouches on the saddle bag guards (flashlight, 1st aid stuff).

Attached Thumbnails trip advice-and-we-are-off.jpg   trip advice-putting-on-the-bell.jpg  
Old 11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm going for a week, I only take enough clothes for four days and wash them half way through the trip. Take a couple big zip lok bags for dirty clothes and put a few bounce dryer sheets in them. One pair of jeans, two long sleeve tees, two short sleeve tees,sweatshirt, socks, and underwear, and personal items. This will easily fit in one of your hard bags. The other hard bag is for the wife. In the backrest bag put your tools, rain gear, and you will have extra space for what ever.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:07 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

FASHION POLICE ALERT:

Roadking Cal needs to quit wearing brown boots with all that black leather.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Went on an 11 day ride over the summer on an Ultra. Saddlebags were used for Tools, coats, chaps ect..Shaving kit for me, and shower bag for her, along with raingear.

Tour pack was left light so we had a place to put helmets. Put a bag on top of the tour pack and packed for both of us,

Couple tips.

Lay everything out on a table or the bed that you THINK you want to take. Take away 1/2 of that. Roll your clothing as tightly as possible so it takes up less space. I roll Jeans, a Shirt, Underwear, and sox into each bundle. I take no more than 2 bundles, and then I add a couple light shirts, and extra sox into the bag.

After 4 days, we took an hour and a half to do laundry at a laundromat.

Here is a pretty good list of what you should take with you.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reference/packing_list.php

Enjoy the trip

Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
FASHION POLICE ALERT:

Roadking Cal needs to quit wearing brown boots with all that black leather.
...Yeah, they USED to be black, but they turned brown from having to jam them up the @$$ of some wise-@$$ punk too regularly...

Quick Reply: trip advice