Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resurfacing Rural Roads in NC with Gravel

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 AM
GlassBikerNC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, did my area back in the spring

I see you are in Princeton...I'm only about 15 miles from you over in Kenly

Old 11-30-2008, 09:47 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 769 Posts

They do the same thing in this part of PA in August. The gravel sometimes stays in piles on the road for weeks, I don't think they brush it out. What they do the help you is to post signs that say "TRAVEL AT YOUR OWN RISK". That must be their way of covering their lazy azzes if you should go down or get into an accident. So if you happen to live on that road you're supposed to stay home?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
Luckily where I stay couple times a year near Snowhill did that very thing a couple weeks before I had come down and other then residual sand build up in the road, the oil part wan non existent. My neighbors said it was a mess when they first did it and not necessary. In Eastern Carolina anyways there are bazillion great riding roads and in great condition. If you aren't aware of where you're going while utilizing the maze of back roads you can find yourself lost and not no where the heck you are. Of couse if you have a clue you can get there from here.

Am I lying Harley Joe?
You ain't lyin...in fact it's dang near impossible to "get lost" in NC. You just take a more scenic route from time to time!!!!! All roads lead to where you're headed.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Harley Joe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sway_NC_WG

Whatchasay Sway,
I live over here at the Richardson Bridge near ***'s Mill. I rode over to your neck of the woods Friday and went down Scott Road looking at all the tornado damage. Even after much of the debris has been piled up and cleared, it is still amazing that only one poor soul was lost. It looked like a war zone, no it really looked worse. Hope this wasn't your area!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Yep, they do that on some of the more rural roads here in Missouri too.
Same here in Norcal but it sure can jack up a paint job if you get caught on one by accident.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sway_NC_WG

..and I'm not too far from you. I'm over by Zebulon. I need to go to Kenly this week and drop off some things for this girl that worked with me. Was gonna check out the tornado damage too while there.
Back on topic: They did my road not long ago. Whenever I come across a newly "re-done" road, I make a mental note to not come that way again for about a month.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:31 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

In Minnesota, they do the same thing, only they spread pea rock instead of gravel. It's like driving on marbles, plus the oncoming vehicles kick it up, breaking windshields and headlights on cars. You can imagine what it does to bikes and paint jobs.

A few years ago, the brilliant state of SD pearocked a 40 mile stretch of I90 during Sturgis week. Bad enough meeting vehicles on a two lane, but that year we had semi's passing us and kicking up pea rock.

Count your blessings if you only have gravel....

Old 11-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain

Here in SE Pa I lost one of my favorite rides to "Oiled Road Ahead" this past summer. It takes months for the loose gravel to clear enough to make the road rideable again. Even when the loose gravel clears I'm uneasy with leaning hard on a gravel road surface. It just doesn't seem like it's gonna have the same amount of traction an asphalt surface will provide. I don't think I've ever seen a racetrack with a gravel surface..........must be a reason.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

They run a big time bicycle race here every spring. Thousands of them spandex covered types everywhere. Big-time teams and riders like Lance Armstrong too. The highway department does a great job of brooming off every piece of roadway. But then blows it by using black cold patch in the corners where the cars go off the edge and tear up the asphalt. A few years ago I went down on the Wolfpen Gap in a corner without knowing why. Even on the ground I couldn't see anything to slip off on. It wasn't until the next day that I went back and saw the fine black sand from the cold patch. Thanks DOT.

We have the chip n' seal as well. I like that a lot better than the roads that use crush n' run over dirt if you ask me. And we've got plenty of them as well.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:33 PM
sidecar
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do the same thing here in New Mexico. They also use the tar and gravel to improve gravel or dirt rods. It is better thab the mud.