Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resurfacing Rural Roads in NC with Gravel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:38 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,521 Posts

The county did that trick on the service road up to the dealership, that first right turn onto the gravel not knowing about it was a real gem. Then there was a street cleaner cleaning the curbing. So this begs the question: Are you smarter than a street engineer?

Old 11-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Mr.Dull
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in our county in NE PA we have a saying. They either chip em or skip em

Old 11-29-2008, 05:57 PM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveB FLH
The State did that to the road that I live on and there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.....They have done it to the majority of roads around us, instead of fixing the potholes they tar and gravel over it (those potholes collect a lot of loose gravel too)...Waste of taxpayer money which NC DOT is very good for.....
And for some reason a lot of the roads they chip seal end up with multiple grooves running with the road. Some of the worst ones will grab ya if you hit them.

The worst part is that there is no warning for when they are doing it. Riding on a familiar road and all of a sudden (county line) there's fresh chip seal. Dangerous.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 375 Likes on 216 Posts

"Tar and chip" is done a lot on PA rural roads, and VA's rural and primary ones. Properly done it produces an excellent grip macadam. Right up there with textured concrete. But until it beds in, the excess fine gravel is....well like fine gravel. It seems like when WV tries doing it, they use too much tar. So it isn't bad right after they do it but the tar rises up to the surface after a while creating slick areas, especially in the summer heat or when wet.

edit; PA and VA usually post "Oiled road ahead" signs. WV doesn't, and it sounds like NC doesn't either.

Last edited by Ridewva; 11-29-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:21 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They do that here in Montana, too. Except we don't have the traffic to ever fully drive the gravel in. There's always some loose gravel, and ruts from car traffic.

it also chews the hell out of front tires...

Old 11-29-2008, 06:37 PM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

Same same in indiana...the ol chip and seal, it's garbage

Old 11-29-2008, 06:58 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've seen it in many rural areas, in Illinois & elsewhere. Fortunately, although I live in a rural area, it's not something they do to all the roads at once around here.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:06 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Joe
The State of NC has this bad habit of resurfacing the back roads with loose gravel and heated tar. I guess they have to do the best they can with what they have to work with - but dang, they're killing me. They spray out the heated tar on the road and then come along and spread a thick layer of very fine gravel over the tar. The traffic presses the gravel into the tar and after a couple of weeks they come back and sweep the road and repaint the lines.

All this works well if folks will slow down to about 20 mph when meeting another vehicle. But it ain't from doodley for a motorcycle at any speed. They have done this to about all roads around my house ALL AT ONCE. I have to ride thru this crap to get anywhere. The gravel raises hell with the fenders and the oil cooler.

I guess I should be happy they do anything to "help" the country roads, but it's hard to remember this when you have to ride on it. You have to ride the "ruts" to maintain control and if you get to it right after they put down the gravel, it's about like riding in sand - no fun. Is this done elsewhere?
Luckily where I stay couple times a year near Snowhill did that very thing a couple weeks before I had come down and other then residual sand build up in the road, the oil part wan non existent. My neighbors said it was a mess when they first did it and not necessary. In Eastern Carolina anyways there are bazillion great riding roads and in great condition. If you aren't aware of where you're going while utilizing the maze of back roads you can find yourself lost and not no where the heck you are. Of couse if you have a clue you can get there from here.

Am I lying Harley Joe?

Last edited by badinfluence63; 11-29-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:15 AM
Matty64
Road Warrior

Wisconsin does it only they don't come back to sweep the excess chips off the road.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Harley43147
Tourer

Same crap in Ohio. It's not fun crusing down a smooth country road, then rounding a curve and hitting the tar/gravel stuff. You either ride through - and hope it doesn't go on for miles - or turn back and find another route.
Still prefer the country over the city though :-)

Quick Reply: Resurfacing Rural Roads in NC with Gravel