General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing enclosed trailer (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:57 PM
BigTM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6 x 10 v nose with e track. I stagger the handlebars by a foot. Plenty of room, but would be tight for 3 baggers. I wanted smaller lighter trailer as i already had a 16 footer. Smaller is nice for dropping in hotel parking spot and easier to tow if I dont want to drive the F350.
Harbor freight has a $40 front tire rack, dont use the $10 one its too light weight.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:19 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I was the Wells Cargo dealer in the Florida panhandle.
There is no way I would recommend a 6' wide trailer for hauling 2 cruiser style motorcycles.
The standard 2 bike enclosed trailer is 7' x 14'.

secondly, "aerodynamic v-nose" is marketing language. V-front trailers were developed for off-loading snowmobiles. If v-nose trailers actually improved fuel mileage you would see them on tractor trailer rigs, you don't, you see nosecones.
I have seen windtunnel tests of nosecones on trailers, I have not seen the same for v-nosed trailers.

If you need more room, buy a longer trailer.
If you want to improve handling and fuel efficiency by 2-3 mpg, add a nosecone.
If you tow snowmobiles, buy a v-nose trailer.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In addition to the good advice above (tandem axles with torsion suspension and ramp rear door).

I would add the following:
Side door (you may want to sleep in your trailer, I know some guys who do)
Dome light with wall switch (you don't always load during the day)
Rear cornerpost jacks (so you can load/unload your bikes without being hooked up to your tow vehicle)
Flow thru ventilation (so your trailer won't turn into the Hindenburg if/when your bike leaks gas)

Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 AM
madmikee
Tourer

I would never buy a torsion suspension trailer. A friend had his break while hauling two snowmobiles. The trailer dropped onto the tires. The trailer was not usable until a new axel was put under it. I rather break a leaf spring part. Much easier fix.
I have a 6x12 and my Ultra is the limit. Two baggers would exceed the gross weight on the one axel.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 AM
AtlRKC
Novice

I have never seen a torsion axle fail unless it was overloaded or showed signs of severe impact with a curb or road obstacle. As far as V-Nose vs Nose Cone I have experienced both. The V-Nose makes a huge difference over flat nose and offers additional space. Due to the design of semis a V-Nose would not work as cargo space would be lost. A tagalong trailer offers the ideal opportunity for a V-Nose as all it does os enclose the formerly wasted space of the tongue. The Nose Cone offered some improvement but minimal at best.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:08 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Then I staggered the ***** fore and aft about 4"

Hey lh 4x4 Thanks for the advice, but spell check next time LOL

Old 11-29-2008, 04:57 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for 7 X 14 or 16,tandem with brakes,ramp door and v nose.
Check craigs list in your area for a good used one.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:51 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 12x6. I stagger two HD's with engine guards. It is a tight fit but do able.If I had it to do again I would get a 12x7. My trailer is only 6 ft. tall and tows like a dream.
Originally Posted by AtlRKC
I used to sell trailers so I think I can offer some good advice. First your tow vehicle may limit you somewhat. A 7' wise trailer is pretty big for some vehicles and some people. I recommend a 6x12 set up with the bikes in staggered formation. First bike goes on left near front. Second on right near rear. That allows for more room to manuever around to tie down, helps on weight distribution and leaves room near side door for extras. I would also recommend a V-Nose as they are much more aerodynamic and have more room in front. Keep in mind a 6x15 V-Nose is the same overall size as a 6x12. Go with a torsion axle for ride and durability. Do not skimp on the quality of the trailer or tie downs. The difference between cheap & barely adequate and quality & durability is not much especially when you consider the value of the cargo unless you have a couple of cheap Fat Boys which I don't think you do. Look for little things like 16" floor crossmembers, 3/4" plywood floor, plywood walls and radial tires. All contribute to a secure, safe tow

Old 11-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by olddude48
Another vote for 7 X 14 or 16,tandem with brakes,ramp door and v nose.
Check craigs list in your area for a good used one.
+ 1 on the 7x14 or 16 tandem.
Also this was the first response the said anything about brakes. A must in my book.
I had a 7x16 tandem for my kid Quarter Midgets. Towed it first with a E150 van then a F350.Also used it to move my inlaws and my dad. The bigger trailer will come in very handy for other things.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 PM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptl203
I am planning on purchasing an enclosed trailer this winter. I need to know, will I be able to fit two Fatboys side by side in a 6X12 or 6X10 trailer? I am not sure if I will need a 7 foot wide trailer. And yes I know I shouldn't be trailering but sometimes I need to trailer it to the south so it's warm enough to ride during winter months. Thanks for all your help
You have received some good advice so far but I guess I will add my .02. I went through the exact process couple of years ago. I was looking at 6X10 cargo for general use and to haul my bike, I ended up with a 7X16. As I started looking at trailers I just didn't like the look of the small single axle rigs and I was concerned about stability on the road. I eventually decided I wanted tandem axles and they usually start at 14ft although there are 12 ft tandem axle trailers out there. I thought what the hell I can go two more feet and be able to haul 4 bikes if necessary. Two bikes regardless of size fit perfectly side by side in a 7ft with plenty of space around them.

Since I went to 16ft, I had 4 removable chocks put in and I can haul 4 bikes of any size very comfortably and still have a lot of room for gear. And speaking of gear, it is amazing how much stuff winds up in there, coolers, tools, etc. I am always hearing "well, we can just throw it in the trailer". I was thinking my trailer was almost more than what I needed, now it sometimes seems too small. Returning from a couple of trips the trailer had 4 bikes in it and in one case we picked up a guy with a broke bagger and we had to move a sportster to the bed of the truck.

I prefer to ride my bike to events whenever possible, but me and my buds have been spoiled by having a trailer along. There is always a rider who cannot handle the long ride so he pulls the trailer.

Good things to have, enough D rings bolted to the frame for a 4-point tie down( I have 9), side door, interior lights, brakes, fold down stands on rear corners, 3/4 plywood floor and 1/2 plywood side walls. My trailer was made by Monarch and it has been excellent. I have saved a lot of money by sleeping in it at times also.

You didn't say what your tow vehicle is but that is a major consideration. FYI, my trailer with two sportsters and assorted gear for 6 riders pretty much maxed out a 2008 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton with a Hemi. The truck was able to pull it comfortably, but it did struggle a little on hills. I have a 3/4 ton diesel Silverado so weight is not an issue. Good luck with what you decide, hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Purchasing enclosed trailer (need advice)