General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goggles and Contact Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Regis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Goggles and Contact Lenses

About six months ago. I spent over $100 a pair on the Panoptix 7 series, with the foam padding from the local HD Dealer. Within a month or two, foam padding fell apart. Went online and found Wiley-X JP-2's, with a better looking padding, but within three months, the foam fell apart on the right side and then on the left, leaving the thin flimsy outer cloth layer dangling in your vision. These might be fine for the weekend or occasional rider, but if you ride everyday, they're not going to hold up. So that's over $250 spent on 'stuff that doesn't meet the need'. Wiley X is going to cover this under their warranty, but the woman I spoke to said that the new ones aren't any different. I asked her if they're made for everyday use and she tried to say they were, but couldn't explain why they fell apart (I'm 47 years old and well past my abusive years). In other words, their products are what they are.

Found an ad in the magazine 'American Rider' for Classic Goggles. Now I found it. For just a little more, you get a choice of French, English and German made goggles that have actual QUALITY. Like whoever made them, actually cared about their longevity and ease of use. Real leather or natural rubber eyepads, real chrome and looks like they'll do the job daily. If you're in the market for high quality goggles, check out Classicgoggles.com. Spent $203 on the Leon Jeantet 4400's, with Iridium lenses. All the replacement lenses are $20 and even the headband is replaceable. So it took $450 to get the eyewear I wanted. Just want to pass it on, before anybody else shells out their hard-earned dough. I ordered mine this morning and oh, when I called them, a real person answered the phone.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, Regis. I just got contact lenses and have been riding in an old pair of $10 goggles that I used with my glasses. I ride daily also and do a lot of Houston to Dallas round trips. 700 miles a week is common for me so I wear stuff out fast. I'll check out Classic Goggles.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,123 Likes on 359 Posts

I do the budget plan. I got a set of somewhat wrap around sunglasses from when we went to myrtle beach awhile back for about 12 bucks, and thats what I use. Since I have a wimpshield, I don't have a problem with my eyes watering much, only when it gets around 30 or below.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Double3
Tourer

Sunglasses work great for me.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Regis
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Double3
Sunglasses work great for me.

I'm sure they do. Heck, you're pic shows you riding through a very green and lush looking forest. Up here in the High Desert, the wind never stops blowing, with associated sand particles and dust devils. One piece o' sand in the eye and you're pretty much screwed.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Standard glasses let in too much wind. If you have contact lenses, you're blind and your eyes burn like hell. Add debris and you're parked. Ride four hours at 80mph twice a week with regular glasses and no wind screen and you'll look like Master Po on Kung Fu.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:41 PM
DMcBiker
Cruiser

I've been stuck with a FF helmet just because of the contacts and wind. I'll check out the site, thanks...

Old 11-26-2008, 03:33 PM
EVO80
Road Captain

I just pick up in expensive goggles at rally's or bike show - $10 to $15 - try to pick up a couple of pairs at each show. They last a few months, the foam wears out or the lens get scratched from using them daily and then I toss them. They work just as well as $200 goggles.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:37 PM
roadkill0000
Cruiser

Just curious. I have a FF helmet and was thinking of getting goggles also. I thought that in the summer if I flipped the visor up I could get some extra ventilation, but then i'd need a pair of goggles. Are these goggles good for that?

Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I bit the bullet and ordered some today.

Quick Reply: Goggles and Contact Lenses