General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goggles and Contact Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Regis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by papadop88
I've had the Panoptix 7 series glasses now for over 6 months and wear them everytime. They still look brand new. Never had a problem with them. Sorry to hear about your situation man.

I'm sure they'd hold up for weekend use, but I was wearing them daily, day-in and day-out up here in the Mojave Desert. Alas, they didn't last, thus my post.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:13 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good to know - I was thinking about goggles for the long 500 mile + days. I find for trips where I'm on the road for about 5 or 6 hours, I'm okay with my shades (foam padding). I've found my contacts dry out after long rides in the saddle, or with high winds. The fairing on the Ultra pretty much cured that, though, but I'd like something for riding the Deuce.

Cannon

Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Regis
About six months ago. I spent over $100 a pair on the Panoptix 7 series, with the foam padding from the local HD Dealer. Within a month or two, foam padding fell apart. Went online and found Wiley-X JP-2's, with a better looking padding, but within three months, the foam fell apart on the right side and then on the left, leaving the thin flimsy outer cloth layer dangling in your vision. These might be fine for the weekend or occasional rider, but if you ride everyday, they're not going to hold up. So that's over $250 spent on 'stuff that doesn't meet the need'. Wiley X is going to cover this under their warranty, but the woman I spoke to said that the new ones aren't any different. I asked her if they're made for everyday use and she tried to say they were, but couldn't explain why they fell apart (I'm 47 years old and well past my abusive years). In other words, their products are what they are.

Found an ad in the magazine 'American Rider' for Classic Goggles. Now I found it. For just a little more, you get a choice of French, English and German made goggles that have actual QUALITY. Like whoever made them, actually cared about their longevity and ease of use. Real leather or natural rubber eyepads, real chrome and looks like they'll do the job daily. If you're in the market for high quality goggles, check out Classicgoggles.com. Spent $203 on the Leon Jeantet 4400's, with Iridium lenses. All the replacement lenses are $20 and even the headband is replaceable. So it took $450 to get the eyewear I wanted. Just want to pass it on, before anybody else shells out their hard-earned dough. I ordered mine this morning and oh, when I called them, a real person answered the phone.
I've been using the Aviator T2's myself for several years. I've got extra lenses (yellow) for dim light situations. These goggles are great and I wear them both with contact lenses and over glasses, although with glasses you need rather small frames.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had lasik surgery and am supposed to wear eye protection.

I have really come to like my full face helmet for long rides. It is so much quieter and has so much less wind resistance that I am far more rested at the end of the day.

I bought a "lot" of 12 pairs of goggles on ebay for shorter rides. They were really cheap and they work great. When a pair gets worn or scratched I throw them away and grab a new pair.

$.02

Old 12-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Double3
Tourer

Originally Posted by Regis
I'm sure they do. Heck, you're pic shows you riding through a very green and lush looking forest. Up here in the High Desert, the wind never stops blowing, with associated sand particles and dust devils. One piece o' sand in the eye and you're pretty much screwed.
Well then I would probably wear googles lol
Originally Posted by ktm_scott
Standard glasses let in too much wind. If you have contact lenses, you're blind and your eyes burn like hell.
Not rly

Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Regis
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
My Classic Goggles arrived yesterday. VERY nice stuff here. Yes they're pricey, but the quality is obvious.

I ordered the gum metal finish with iridium lenses. They came stock with yellow and smoked lenses. The nose bridge width is adjustable and the fit is snug ans secure. They are great to ride with. I felt no wind whatsoever and with contact lenses, that is a real plus.

Got mine the other day as well. I have to agree, very, very nice. These aren't cheap, but they aren't 'cheap' either. The construction quality is top-notch. We're talking about lovingly made, by someone who cares about what they're doing. There isn't one detail or peice that looks cheesy. Even the rubber eyecups are excellent. It takes 60 individual steps to build these.

I put them on and adjusted the band for the best fit. The clasp is chromed and sturdy. The fit on my face was excellent. Adjusted the nifty nose peice and it felt even nicer. The comfort was far better than the Wiley X or the Panoptic's I owned and they look good too. The 4600 series rocks. Replacement lenses are only $20. Each pair of googles comes with it's own certificate and serial number. Even the headband is replaceable and they come with a six month warranty.

I'm the kind of person that tends to go for the quality. While cheaper products do the job and are ok for most, I am a picky bastard and am willing to go the extra mile for something that not only works, but works well and lasts. These feel very good on the face and fit my eye sockets perfectly for all-day comfort. I highly recommend these for the serious rider who demands the best.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 PM
BSW3
Advanced

I have the $18 walmart glasses with the foam and love them! Had them for all of this past riding season and the foam is still in pretty good shape. Also have a pair of clear lens Bell goggles for night riding that are holding up great. Only $12 for those.