General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filled Up With Diesel Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't done it...but could see how it can happen...my truck is a duramax and the only other vehicle I put fuel in is the ultra...I could understand it happening to me just by habit...having your mind somewhere else on a given day

Old 11-24-2008, 05:27 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah right, your buddy eh?

Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never done that, and will now keep an even sharper eye out when gassing

Old 11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Technologist
Tourer

"Buddy" oughta be happy it was Diesel in a Harley, instead of GAS in a Diesel engine... seen that before... about a block from the station KA-BLOOEY!

I "accidently" out kerosene in my diesel once... got 5 gallons in before realizing it! Topped it off w/ 35 Gal of Diesel, and it ran fine.

Oh, and the handles on BOTH the diesel and kerosene pumps around me are YELLOW!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Y'all. It really was my friend and not me....really. I'm the dumb-*** that sat with him waiting for the dealer to come get it. We were about 100 miles from home. It got real cold before we ever got loaded up and left. He rode in the service truck with heat - should'a made him ride mine home....

The gas station we stopped at used green nozzles for gas and black for diesel. I also thought the diameter of the diesel nozzle would not fit into our tanks, but they do here. I have never pumped a gallon of diesel fuel in my 50 years so I ain't an expert here. We first thought he got some bad gas, but we all topped off our tanks and no one else was having a problem. He refused to admit his mistake until the mechanic got there and told him what his motor was doing before he cranked it. Then he decided, "well maybe I did grab the wrong nozzle".

I've done some stupid stuff and I ain't finished yet!!! I'm bad for not putting my dipstick back in tight and letting it blow out. Hince the nickname "Dipstick". After paying $29 for a replacement, I's mo' careful now.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 PM
honchodehondo
Cruiser

I did it once back in 1996 with my Ninja ZX6. The one and only time in my life I did not keep the receipt so I could verify my mistake. It was the end of a long day and was in a hurry to top of and keep moving. We were going back to Beaufort, SC from Myrtle Beach. We made it to Georgetown and that was it. The bike ran for about a block then became a two wheeled mosquito fogger! The bike still ran but like poo. That is what leads me to believe I grabbed the correct nozzle however the tank below had the incorrect product in it. Now working in the industry I hear about it all the time. So, we trailered it home, flushed everything, changed spark plugs, and were off and running again. I think it did more good for the engine than harm. For the next ten years it ran like a top!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
bpetersen
Intermediate

Never on the bike, I did it once on the CO. work truck it is gas I had a diesel well habits ya know, and the lovely OL screwd me on a 6 day old Ram I bought after I sold the Smoker, and filed her up with full tank of smoker juice...UGGG!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:21 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,195 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I never actually put the diesel nozzle in the tank, but I have put in the gas nozzle in the tank and pushed the diesel button. Got pizzed cuz no gas would come out. I thought my debit card got declined when I had money in the bank. Then I noticed what I did and thought what a dumbsss. At least I didn't get diesel in my tank.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Lockman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't see it happnin'. I run 93 Octain. You've gotta select it before you can pump it. Gas and Diesel come out of seperate hoses. Oh well.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM
kbear
Road Captain

Not so bad the diesel into the gas cleans it out but the other way around...BAD

Quick Reply: Filled Up With Diesel Fuel