General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

renew HOG membership?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default renew HOG membership?

Membership expires in 2 months.I already renewed it once.I am trying to figure out what I've gotten out of it.Nothing much really.I already have roadside asst. with my insurance co.Gone to a few rallys.They are mostly vendor sales,and 2nd rate bands.I'm thinking I can just as easily pick a destination to travel to.What benefits am I overlooking?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:01 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy my local HOG chapter so I renew, if I didn't, I wouldn't.......
renew, that is......

Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you get a magazine subscription with it.

It is only $20 bucks renewal - pretty small dollars in the grand scheme of things - IMO.

If $20 is a major decision for you, you just might not be riding much as insurance, tires, brakes, oil changes and gas from bike usage/riding are much more expensive.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

It's $45 to renew for the national HOG annual membership.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:28 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I am a lifetime HOG member. I have used the towing a couple of times with good luck but that is not the reason I am a member. Like anything else in life you get out of it what you put into it. My local group is active and does twice a month rides. Some long, some short, some overnight and some multiple days. In other words something for everyone. While we do attend some dealer events our HOG group does tons of things not even associated with the dealer and he encourages them all and even does some with us. We have a spring benefit poker run every year. During the summer we do early rides to beat the heat. We have a big BBQ in the fall. We have a "over the top" Christmas party that includes a "Mad Santa" gift exchange. I have met many life long friends via HOG and I am sure to meet more. That's what I get out of HOG.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chopperz
What benefits am I overlooking?

UH....Patches and pins...?!?

Old 11-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveB FLH
UH....Patches and pins...?!?
Yea, devotion to the local chapter for the rides and trips. But for me in the future that ain't enough so I'm not renewing either the national or local, besides whenever I ride with them someone tries to run over me with a bike anyway.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 100thRK
Personally I am a lifetime HOG member. I have used the towing a couple of times with good luck but that is not the reason I am a member. Like anything else in life you get out of it what you put into it. My local group is active and does twice a month rides. Some long, some short, some overnight and some multiple days. In other words something for everyone. While we do attend some dealer events our HOG group does tons of things not even associated with the dealer and he encourages them all and even does some with us. We have a spring benefit poker run every year. During the summer we do early rides to beat the heat. We have a big BBQ in the fall. We have a "over the top" Christmas party that includes a "Mad Santa" gift exchange. I have met many life long friends via HOG and I am sure to meet more. That's what I get out of HOG.
+1 and we get 10% off at the dealer and I know I have spent enough to make up for the dues. I also like the ride planner and use it alot

Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been a member, and yer probably right. It's pretty much magazines, pins and patches. I spose if that's the only way you look at it, it's prob not worth it.
A lot of guys in here look down on HOG (or at least they would want you to think that). A lot of local chapters are a bit clickish, but there's no law stating you have to join one. The roadside assistance is so-so, but that's why I have it on my bike insurance.
But, I'll keep renewing.
If I have to explain.....you wouldn't understand.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

I enjoy the Mags (hogtails and Enthusiast) also enjoy riding with the local chapter so renew three years at a time..

Quick Reply: renew HOG membership?