General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker's choice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008 | 09:51 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Young bikers tend towards bikes like the Honda CBRR

Old 11-21-2008 | 10:12 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm in the under 30 crowd and I prefer the Ultra.

Of course, I am The Queen in my house and my Ultra is chauffeured. But I do believe my chauffeur prefers the Ultra too because the SE Deuce hasn't seen much asphalt since we got it.

Old 11-22-2008 | 12:24 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought my bagger at 21. I think Softails and Dynas are most popular with people in their 20's.
Just a guess.

Old 11-22-2008 | 02:09 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain

This should be a poll...
I am 30. I currently ride a sportster, but only because it was at the right price at the time. After having been in the saddle for a while now, I am considering a roadking. As much as I like to ride and all the stuff I like to keep with me it just seams like a logical choice. I like the idea of buying a detachable fairing so it has the looks of a SG, yet easily removed to look old school. I would probley install a set of apes off of a heritage. Thats just me tho.
I mostly see what little young guys who ride Harleys ride Nightsters or Vrods if they have the $$. I have two friends under 25, one rides a Fatboy and another rides a '71 Ironhead chopper.

Old 11-22-2008 | 06:50 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Dammt, way TOO MANY good posts to quote. So I'll try to keep it straight.

Nightsters, as NICE as they are and as much as I like them, represent what is 'wrong' in my eyes. Which also fits in with what Ranger said.
"Young" guns used to build Sporties like Nightsters. Same reasons, look great, and co$t. Build it, and keep up with the pack. Now most just wanna 'buy it'. To each their own, and I am jus' glad you're "In The Wind". If you wanna pay, and have the cash, then splash all ya want.

KR, "I'll kick it and ride it, til I can't." When we took the FLH out for the 'first' outing, pulled up, and before we were off our scoots, ppl were walking up saying, "That's just wrong, Gumby. Where's the Cap'n? You look way outta place on that thing."

My brother still has his '58 BSA A-10 Road Rocket, first trip to Sturgis for both, '72. I bought a '59 A-10 in Kenosha, Wi in '75, it is stored behind the grudge. Have had Trumpets, Hondas, raced and dragged Kawis, Norton Commando, first and only 'new' store bought, '76 XLCH.

I was 51 when I got my first 'bagger', 01 Ultra, 124", 6 spd Baker. Earl built it to haul his fat **** and the SO's. Both real close to 3 bills. I bought it cause it was FUNNER THAN H*LL. And I helped build it. Sold it to expand biz. What do I miss, besides eating 'rockets'? The friggin' stereo he put on it.

What do the 'youngstas' ride here? That's my youngest. Ya, would've liked to see him 'build', but when you can buy for pennies on the dollar, can't fault him. But WE BOTH still want a 'rocket'. BTW, I "USED" to have hair, like that, too. So all you 'youngsters', wear those 'doo rags'. This is what all that 'high speed air friction' will do to your hair. Just wears it right off.

Old 11-22-2008 | 06:59 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I'm wandering all over here ..

Maybe it's a peer pressure thing ..

That said I am 52 y.o.

My thinkin' is , back when I was in my late teens / early 20's any "real biker" would not be caught dead on a garbage wagon .. Funny thing was , we thought anyone over maybe 35 , was fixin to die just any day from old age .. So only "old farts" rode "garbage wagons" and couldnt be a "real biker" .. A garbage wagon was definetly not cool ..

Motorsickles were more popular with the young people back then , than now .. I would think that as a percentage , more young people in the early teens on up had some kinda two wheeled transportation then , probly cause our parents could barely afford their car , much less one for the kid ..

We only had three or four models from HD to choose from , and like most young people we bought what we could afford , and a garbage wagon , for most of us , was out of range , even if we wanted one ..

I've always had a couple bikes besides a bagger , that weren't baggers .. No I am not , or never have been rich , just never got rid of one , to buy another ..

So I ask this to the thirty-ish and under here :

Do you think baggers are "cool" ?

Old 11-22-2008 | 07:51 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BaggerDriver
I'm wandering all over here ..

Maybe it's a peer pressure thing ..

That said I am 52 y.o.

My thinkin' is , back when I was in my late teens / early 20's any "real biker" would not be caught dead on a garbage wagon .. Funny thing was , we thought anyone over maybe 35 , was fixin to die just any day from old age .. So only "old farts" rode "garbage wagons" and couldnt be a "real biker" .. A garbage wagon was definetly not cool ..

Motorsickles were more popular with the young people back then , than now .. I would think that as a percentage , more young people in the early teens on up had some kinda two wheeled transportation then , probly cause our parents could barely afford their car , much less one for the kid ..

We only had three or four models from HD to choose from , and like most young people we bought what we could afford , and a garbage wagon , for most of us , was out of range , even if we wanted one ..

I've always had a couple bikes besides a bagger , that weren't baggers .. No I am not , or never have been rich , just never got rid of one , to buy another ..

So I ask this to the thirty-ish and under here :

Do you think baggers are "cool" ?
No. They're okay I guess, but definitely NOT 'cool'.

Old 11-22-2008 | 08:23 AM
krwould
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
He said 30 ish and under.......not double 30.....Gump! Hehe!

Old 11-22-2008 | 08:23 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
I see I need to clarify this one .. I was referring to the thirty-ish and under not the thirty with 26 years experience crowd ..

Old 11-22-2008 | 08:24 AM
StreetGlider57
|
Road Master

The question of "what is young" keeps comming up. I guess I was thinkings what do Bikers prefer now, especially the 35 and under riders. I am interested though, in general, what the prefered -badass- models are now. Bikers are a big part of Harley's business and they need to have models that appeal to them, especially the younger guys that will carry the tourch.

Quick Reply: Biker's choice?