General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softails v.s. Dyna Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:39 AM
Johnny B Good
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softails v.s. Dyna Glide

I'm a bagger guy. My wife would like a bike such as a softail model or Dyna glide.
When compareing the different bikes I'm still from the old world of Sportster, Superglide and Electraglide. Could some of you fill me in on the diff. variations of these bikes and your thoughts on them ? I have looked around at the dealer's but don't like asking the salesman to much as they just jump on 'ya like a Mississippi leg hound and won't leave you alone or somtimes can't really satisfy your questions.
She needs a bike to ride with me. 65-75mph for 200-250 miles

Old 04-07-2006, 05:44 AM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softails v.s. Dyna Glide

I have tried them all and would not swap my Softail Heritage for any of them as it is for me the most comfy bike I have ever ridden, however personal taste is subjective !!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3771/D2CD01CEF9CD49FA8A6BC5C90E963DBB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Motosurf
Cruiser

My opinion is based on renting all models then buying a Dyna. First, a full bagger was the best straight line cross country machine due to it's easy chair comfort. A softail looks good, but the extra weight and balanced engine seemed to mitigate it's performance. The 1200 Sportster was the fastest and handles the best on twisties, but a little small for me. The Dyna had a few extra horsepower due to it's unbalanced motor, yet smooth at speed due to the rubber mounting. The Dyna also has minimal bodywork and metal overhang which makes it feel more lively than a softail. So...... I like Dynas.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

06 FXDBI

Old 04-07-2006, 07:28 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

Dyna dyna dyna

I may be bias of cours since I just really enjoy the old school dyna look and have a need to see shocks on a bike. You should have her take a lowrider for a spin due to its lower ride looks and lots of chrome and its great graet for buzzing around and also for those real long trips. Softails are ok there just not for me.

steve with my 02 worth

Old 04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now this is something I have read so take it as however you like....

A Dyna and Softail with the same motor configuration the Dyna will win in a race every time. The suspension hooks up better. I wonder how this affects handling... Like I said it's something I read in AI magazine by Donny Peterson...

Old 04-07-2006, 03:49 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

When I bought my Harley Fatboy I did not buy it to win races... I bought it for riding... Now... With the mods that I have it is much more lively. And it is not a pig in the corners or anything.

I have ridden almost every Harley there is (execpt the springer) and everytime I get on something other than my fatboy I am reminded that I made the right purchase FOR ME.

I came from riding crotch rockets... So the fatboy has plenty of agility and power for my taste. The Dynas that I have ridden just did not feel as "sturdy" as the the softail. But that is probably because I like having the larger front tire.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:53 PM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

The dyna and the softail do not have the same motor configuration the dyna has an 88a and the softail has an 88b which is a balanced motor due to the lack of rubber motor mounts and the softail suspension is inferior to the dyna suspension. Both bikes are great but the dyna line outhandles the softails by far in my opinion.

steve

Old 04-07-2006, 04:01 PM
freddc1
Cruiser

The picture speaks for itself......

Old 04-07-2006, 04:16 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i have rode the springer and fat-boy and the hertiage and the sportster and i own a dyna i love them you can dress them up or down what ever your need lighter than soft-tails hevier than the sporty but it handels very well . just my 2 cents

Old 04-07-2006, 04:36 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree... THIS picture speaks for itself.

[sm=happybounce.gif]

ORIGINAL: freddc1

The picture speaks for itself......

Quick Reply: Softails v.s. Dyna Glide