General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Harley-Davidson survive the downturn?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
they're also selling like mad outside the US/
Please do quantify "like mad" for us?

Last edited by RODEO; 11-20-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the other analysts expect motorcycle regs to go up - more people riding to save gas. Which is right?

How about neither?
Greetings,

Around here (St. Louis area) motorcycle registrations are up. Why isn't Harley getting their share? Pricing. For the person wanting to save money on gas, dropping anywhere from $10,000-$15,000 or more for a bike isn't realistic at all. Instead, they can get a Yamaha V-Star 1100 or a Vulcan 900 for less money with better finance programs through their manufacturers and pull off better gas mileage. It's a no-brainer.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta find it first. No matter what you pick up today, turn it over and it's likely made in China! We can't buy what we cant find.

No doubt, agreed... But there are still may competitive American products out there,Automobiles, Auto Parts, Lawn Mowers, Food (I'm sick of seeing Oranges from South America in the grocery store here in Florida!) What I'm trying to say is think before you make a purchase or make a decision that may affect us Americans.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM
extech
Road Master

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Please do quantify "like mad" for us?
We ship parts overseas, mostly European countries, our sales are actually up.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:35 PM
JKK
Road Captain

the other analysts expect motorcycle regs to go up - more people riding to save gas. Which is right?

How about neither?
analysts schmanalysts...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:39 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by extech
We ship parts overseas, mostly European countries, our sales are actually up.
Who is "we" because every time someone here on the boards says something like that it implies they work for MOCO and when you ask them, they say no. So "we" who are you?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 PM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

The age demographics are a harsh reality but HD has been very good at reinventing themselves. The HD brand carries tremendous loyalty. It'll be tough for a while but they'll survive just fine.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

SNS, you are funny today. I think anything happening here will have a todal wave impact on the rest of the global economy. The US banks were not alone investing in Subprime, Europe is in worse shape from their own markets and investing here when the $/EUR/GBP was so far out of whack, look at our $ now. We Americans will get through this, we actually need this, I really care about the rest of the frikken world as much as they care about us, so good luck to them. Harley will survive, they reorganized 20 years ago and can grow and shrink as needed, the Auto Companies cant.

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Who is "we" because every time someone here on the boards says something like that it implies they work for MOCO and when you ask them, they say no. So "we" who are you?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM
BERRYP
Tourer

Well I 've done my part buying American....In the garage 07 1200xl....07
Heritage Classic....08 H3 Hummer....Cant buy anthing else right now.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:14 PM
powaypete
Road Master

Hasn't it been said that the MOCO does not survive on sales of bikes, but rather from parts and service. They will survive, some dealers will go under while other thrive. It all depends on the service and parts departments.
Here in San Diego, there are 3 San Diego Harley Shops all owned by the same guy. I suspect the 2 smaller ones will go away while the big one will stay. Don't know how long the weekly BBQ with live music will survive though. Service Dept. really sucks buts parts is HUGH.
El Cajon HD will likely survive because of the service depatment. The 'store' is doing an expansion for the space. Owner also owns 2 other dealerships. Santa Maria and LAHD. LAHD is the one I would worry about.

Quick Reply: Can Harley-Davidson survive the downturn?