Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A reason for everything....I quess

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 AM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A reason for everything....I quess

Well after a back & forth battle for about a year looking at trading my '08 FXSTC for a chopper. I think I'm giving up. Although I've seen some kick butt deals lately on some NICE bikes. Don't get me wrong I love my HD. Just want ONE chopper before I die..hehehe.

I bought my '08 and paid up front for it in Aug. 2007. Two months later I saw a chopper I really liked (SWIFT) and decided to see if anyone wanted to trade even up or HD and some cash for a chopper. Then I tried to sell my bike and most folks wanted to steal my bike rather then pay a fair price.

Got a chance to swap for a Proper Chopper, A Custom build, a couple of Texas Choppers and a Swift. They all turned out to be disappointing in one way or another. The real funny thing is choppers are not the quality of bike one might think of for the kind of money paid. Also seems like reliability is also an issue. Even after a lot of research on some of the bigger names (Big Dog, AIH) and so on the customer service and parts are not there as expected.

I realize all this and still at times find myself wanting a chopper. Lately I saw some killer deals but with a daughter in college and the fact I have a two bikes and wifey two I can't buy just trade. But when it boils down to it, the HD seems like a better bike.

I quess thats the mid-life thing I was warned about.....

jim

Old 11-20-2008, 06:12 AM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then Chop the Softail..
Problem solved..
PT

Old 11-20-2008, 07:32 AM
2Sore
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a puppy dude!!!! LOL

Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 337 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by PastorTom
Then Chop the Softail..
Problem solved..
PT
Chop a Harley !!!

I agree with PT. After all the recipe is simple:
1. Take a bike
2. Remove what you don't want
3. Add or change as desired.

The softail is a good bike to start with.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:17 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then Chop the Softail..
Problem solved..
PT
+1 - PT is the man with the plan....

I am/have been negotiating with a guy for a Custom, 01 model for that very reason...

Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

I have a buddy like you, he just had to know what it was like to own one so he got one. It was a beautiful bike, can't remember the brand name. He had hugh reliability problems, lots of wires shorting out, carb even caught on fire twice. He had it about 2 yrs, he just traded it for a new 09 roadking and took a hugh hit on the chopper. He's still glad because he loves his road king and is back on the road with no issues.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

The way I see it is,if you can't build one yourself for what ever reason,stick to a Harley and change things untill you get the look you are after,start with what you want on paper,start figuring prices,go for it.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

seems like excessive money tied up for a bike that is probabley for around town only, not practical for trips etc.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 AM
mulch63
Road Master

Then Chop the Softail..
Problem solved..
PT
I have some ideas there...AME front end will help.

jim

Old 11-21-2008, 05:49 AM
mulch63
Road Master

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
I have a buddy like you, he just had to know what it was like to own one so he got one. It was a beautiful bike, can't remember the brand name. He had hugh reliability problems, lots of wires shorting out, carb even caught on fire twice. He had it about 2 yrs, he just traded it for a new 09 roadking and took a hugh hit on the chopper. He's still glad because he loves his road king and is back on the road with no issues.
That would be my fear. Buy something out there that causes nothing but strife everytime I took it out. Its amazing how many bikes out there are not all that reliable. AIH is a biggy. I really like the SWIFT chopper. There is a bike that seems to use a lot of quality items on the bike.

I'll tell though, the S&S motor impresses me power wise but they sound pretty noisey to me. People talk about HD, well they never listened to these aftermarket EVO builders.

jim

Quick Reply: A reason for everything....I quess