General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning the Flag

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Lockman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burning the Flag

My uncle, who had recently visited, took notice of my American Flag hanging from my front porch. I'll admit it's a little bit tattered, though his comment took me by suprise. "Fix it, or burn it...figure it out!"

So I did! I had no idea there was a flag code. I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I have replaced my flag.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#USFC

Old 11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

love your flag or you'll end up like this place where you cant fly a union jack in some citys in case you offend a minority????

Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Lures
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The proper disposal of the American flag is very important!

According to the Flag Code, any American flag that is worn, damaged or tattered beyond repair should be retired in a respectful and dignified manner. The preferred method is burning. This may shock some, since it is a well known fact that burning the flag is illegal. This, however, is an exception to the rule. You can burn the flag yourself, making sure it is done in a discreet and professional manner, or many organizations like the American Legion, the Boy Scouts Council and the Girl Scouts Council will perform a flag retirement ceremony and burn your flag for you. In this case, burning signifies purification and rebirth.
Although burning is the preferred method, it is also acceptable to seal your old flag in a box or bag and bury it. The most important factor is showing respect to the flag during its disposal.
*Note: Nylon flags create hazardous gases when they are burned. Many states have outlawed the burning of nylon for that reason. A good alternative to dispose of nylon flags (or any flag) is recycling. To recycle a flag, simply write "Recycle" on the header of the flag before handing it over to your local Post or scout troop. The nylon will be reused in making new American flags. If nylon flags are not recycled, it is customary to cut the union from the field and dispose of the flag with the proper ceremony.
To properly dispose of your worn or tattered flag by burning, please contact the local branch of the following organizations.
The American Legion
Locate a Post near you
Ceremony for Disposal of Unserviceable Flags
Boy Scouts
Locate a Council near you
Girl Scouts
Locate a Council near you

*If you are unable to find an organization in your area, you can send your flags to the Flag Disposal Service Program at FlagKeepers.org. The volunteers there will properly dispose of your worn flags at a patriotic flag retirement ceremony.OR Report a Tattered or Dirty Flag.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can add any Veterans of War post also. Ours usually stores flags till we have enough for a proper service.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This really belongs in off topic, but it is a pretty important subject (to me, at least). So I'll leave it here.
A lot of people also don't realize if you fly a flag at night, it should be lit as well.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Good on your Uncle for bringing it to your attention.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
Good on your Uncle for bringing it to your attention.
+1 and good on you for replacing it.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 PM
4JAYS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our local Post Office has a drop off box for old worn flags.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Lockman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pablo22
+1 and good on you for replacing it.
My Uncle being a Korean War Vet. takes this very personal, as I found out first hand. My flag, along with others, was burned by ceramony at a local VFW. They were proud to perform the service.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain

Gotta admit...when I saw the topic "Burning the Flag", my dander got fluffed quick. When I read the post - I settled back down. Thanks for taking care of Old Glory! I wish more people would do the same...

Quick Reply: Burning the Flag