General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning the Flag

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Joe
Gotta admit...when I saw the topic "Burning the Flag", my dander got fluffed quick. When I read the post - I settled back down. Thanks for taking care of Old Glory! I wish more people would do the same...
+1

Krusr

Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my Ultra I used to have those tourpak mounted flags, one of which was the U.S Flag. Even though I no longer use them and I am not putting flags on my RG tourpak, I have them stored on shelf. You can't just toss them and they are nylon so you shouldn't burn them. So I have no problem storing them for now. I did not know that you could give them to the local scout troop for proper disposal...I may do that.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 PM
spikeofwoolsey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My VFW hall has a receptical outside just for flags.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,622 Likes on 3,437 Posts

Good post. I've probably called about a dozen or so businesses over the last couple of years (mostly car dealerships) and let them know if they're going to fly the American flag, it needs to maintained in good repair. The call usually sounds like I'm trying to explain rocket science to a mongoloid, but I keep trying anyway.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 PM
izzy
Cruiser

We collect them at work and take them to the local VFW hall for proper disposal. You can google flag code and get all the info you could ever want on flag protocol. The one that usually irks me is at the high school football games when they raise the flag slowly during the National Anthem. Protocol states that the flag should be raised "briskly" and lowered "ceremoniously". Just my $0.02

Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
This really belongs in off topic, but it is a pretty important subject (to me, at least). So I'll leave it here.
A lot of people also don't realize if you fly a flag at night, it should be lit as well.
thanks for being a cool moderator. it's important to me too

Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a VN Vet both the Stars and Stripes and the POW/MIA flag are sacred to me and their proper display and disposal is important. Disposal by burnig has always been considered the proper way as long as it is done in a "dignified and respectful" manner. If you choose to DIY I would only ask that you don't just throw it in an incinerator somewhere. As it burns, think of what this great symbol has meant in the past and what it means today and for the future, Think of those that have bled and died so that this flag could fly over this land. If you can't or won't do this Find a vet, give it to him or her, they will see that it is properly disposed of. On a lighter note, the flag code recognizes street lamps as being illumination if the light shines on the flag. PS unlike what us older people were taught you don't have to dispose of a flag that comes in contact with the ground and flags that are soiled may be cleaned. It is all a matter of respect. PPS If you display the flag on your bike it belongs on the right side . It is being viewed from the front, no matter its' position on your bike, and the American flag is always "To it's own right"

Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 PM
izzy
Cruiser

In case anyone is looking for a pretty cool, patriotic gift... You can go to your US Senator or Representatives web site and click on "flag requests" and fill out the form, print it out and mail it with a check to get a U.S. flag. I ordered one for my daughter a couple of years ago 2 or 3 months before her 18th birthday. Her very high quality 4x6 foot flag arrived a few days after her birthday with a certificate signed by Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison that stated the flag had flown over the US capitol building on March 28, her birthday. They have groups of enlistees that raise and lower flags to fill the requests. My daughter thinks it's the coolest thing ever and shows everyone that comes by. I think it was the best $20 I ever spent on a birthday gift.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

If you ever have the opportunity to attend or participate in a formal flag retirement ceremony do not pass it up. A number of years ago as a Scout leader I attended one at Wente Scout Reservation in No CA while attending summer camp with the troop. They had flags hanging over the path we walked to get to the amphitheater, and flags displayed on the stage area behind the fire pit. They had several lanterns on poles with reflectors to light the stage and firepit. The firepit itself was large enough that they could put a 5' by 8' flag in it flat and there was a well developed bed of coals. They had an excellent program where they explained the process and then they played the National Anthem as they presented the 3 flags being retired, recited the National Anthem, and then reverently and one at a time placed each one onto the bed of coals, waiting till it was consumed before placing the next one. While the flags were being retired Taps was played by two buglers, one just off stage and one on the other side of the small lake the amphitheater fronted. Definitely a "Proud to be an American" lump in the chest experience.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

The VFW and The American Legion both will dispose of the flag properly. You can also contact your local Boy Scout office or troop. As a scout leader in years past I can remember many flag burning ceremonies with the boys. It is done properly and solemnly showing great respect.

Quick Reply: Burning the Flag