General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep current wheel setup or switch to something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:40 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Keep current wheel setup or switch to something else?

I am in a bit of a quandry with my bike at the moment. I ahve always wanted a 21" spoke wheel in front with an 18" in the rear. Currently I have chromed stock fatboy wheels with whitewalls on the bike and I really like the way it rides and looks. But I keep thinking I might want to switch the setup. It gets tricky when it comes down to whitewalls. They are hard to comeby in any other size than 16" and 21". I ahve found an 18" front whitewall but I am not sure I want to use this brand. Sop the question is do I
1)Keep the setup I ahve and forget about swapping the wheels( I really like the way the bike looks and rides now)
or
2)Figure out a way to get the funds for the wheels I thought I really want(although I might ahve to ditch the whitewalls)

I almost forgot to say that I do most everything for my bike on a shoestring budget and find dropping anything over $500 at a time to be well beyond my means and utterly rediculous, but hey, I already bought the bike.

I was also thinking about getting a 21" fat spoke wheel for the front, raising the fender with some custom fabbed brackets, and keeping the rear wheel I have. Obviously the front wheel sould be a whitewall, but here is the other issue. The whitewall comes in a narrow size made to fit a 2.15" wheel. It can be stretched onto a 3" wheel, but what's deal with that? I ahve seen many people with this configuration but have never ridden a bike likle this and have no idea how it would feel. I really don't want to go and buy a new rear wheel for my bike if it is going to be the same size as the one that is on there now. Is it worth it guys? Dinger thinks it is. Will it look good with a 21" spoke and a chromed stock fatboy wheel?

How about the handling. Is the spoked wheel gonna feel lighter? Heavier? What about if I forget about the whitewalls and just go with regular old black walls? Anyone ahve a bike with a configation like this that I can see?

I really like the look the whitewalls give the bike. Opinions welcomed from all (except Dinger as I already know his and I know he will call as soon as he reads this)

Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Mr. Moto
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your bike looks killer the way it is. If you fine a good deal that can't be passed on then go for it. Whatever you do don't listen to Dinger and turn your bike into a beauty queen.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 AM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Do what you want, do what makes you happy.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

21 inch wheels are for XL's and FX's. FL's should have the 16 to 18 inch fat tire, but that is JMFUO.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:59 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

My opinion, if you are locked into the whitewalls, stick with your current setup. Your bike looks great already.

But I understand where you are coming from, we are never done changing things around...

Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

Your bike, so whatever makes you happy my friend!

But for my 2 cents, I say leave it alone, they look good!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks. I'll leave it along for now. Money is tight as well. People losing jobs left and right fi you know what I mean. My bro in law jsut lsot his job last Friday. Has a 2 year old and my Sister (his wife) is preggos...

Old 11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Marksman
Road Captain

Like they say. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Keep the cash in your pocket.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As much as I enjoy spending other people's money, I don't think I can help you with this OM. You just have to do your homework and make up your mind. FWIW and as I told you earlier, I think your chrome disks and whitewalls look sharp. Is there anything you are unhappy about with them, or just feeling the urge to try something new?

I CAN answer your other questions though...
Originally Posted by anubisss
Will it look good with a 21" spoke and a chromed stock fatboy wheel?

How about the handling. Is the spoked wheel gonna feel lighter? Heavier? What about if I forget about the whitewalls and just go with regular old black walls? Anyone ahve a bike with a configation like this that I can see?
What you have described is basically the configuration on my Night Train - blackwalls with 17" solid shiny (forged) disk in the rear and 21" chrome (aluminum) spoked wheel up front. As for the handling, it should improve (except possibly on rain grooves). A spoked wheel will be lighter than your solid cast disk... and not only that, but it's lighter where it counts most - unsprung weight. Lowering your rotating mass and unsprung weight will make the handling a bit more snappy, and improve accelleration and braking as well. Is it worth it? Only you can decide.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 PM
danofive0
Cruiser

It's Johnnyboy and Truckbiz-for you guys I say RTA

Quick Reply: Keep current wheel setup or switch to something else?